Smell of burning

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billjohan

My Phev is now and then smelling as it was burned rubber or something. I think it is mostly when I use the pads. Anyone with the same problem? And what can it be?

Almost everybody has that same problem. Every now and then. Some more often than others.

It is dirt from the road hitting your exhaust and being burned away when the engine heats up. You will smell it especially when in Charge mode and / or on low speeds. Right?

Ok thanks for the answer. Yes mostly (i think) in low speeds or stops when red light but I suppose it is because there is no wind taking the smell away and has really nothing to do with the course. But as long it is not a serious problem a can live with it :cry:

How long have you had the car? Mine gave out really quite alarming burning and hot smells for a good 2 months, but I haven't noticed any lately (now 4 months in).

I had a trip through snow on 4WD lock the other day and the car smelled like it was about to go on fire. Hopefully as other posters say it is fairly normal.

The other day when I tested use of the Charge Button I had a high level of "Rubber Burn" smell. After it had run for 20 minutes or so this disappeared so it is relative to the unit that regenerates charge to the battery and therefore you will notice it when regen is occurring.

Other posts on this site, previously, have raised this, and all posters have stated that after a while the smell goes away.

the 'new exhaust' smell is taking a while to burn off on mine. i guess it's because of how little use the ICE gets relative to other cars. are you sure it's not this?

Regulo said:
How long have you had the car? Mine gave out really quite alarming burning and hot smells for a good 2 months, but I haven't noticed any lately (now 4 months in).

i have had my car 10 month now and 30 000 km so it is a while. The smell started a few month ago and it did not appere from the car was new

Phever said:
the 'new exhaust' smell is taking a while to burn off on mine. i guess it's because of how little use the ICE gets relative to other cars. are you sure it's not this?
This afternoon, I was in a serious traffic jam. Had been a while since previous time. The engine was running to provide heat. And fairly soon, the smell was there. Previous time I noticed it was last summer (20k km ago) when I was towing my caravan through small villages. IMHO it is the combination of engine running and very low speed. I think the low speed factor is only relevant in the sense that the smell is not blown away.

Your first post describes it as burning rubber. Have you lifted the car and checked if something is close to, or on, the exhaust or the cat? It could be a faulty exhaust bushing or something.

It is a feature. Mitsubishi put a lot of research into finding an exhaust coating that would keep the car smelling new for a long time. :twisted:

I have had my car 3 days and I get the burning rubber smell when ever I get out of the car after using the charging function. Not nice.

I ca imagine it is annoying. But most people experience it only when the engine runs while driving at low speeds. Probably by the absence of wind to blow it away. But, if I may ask, why would you use the Charge function shortly (has to be less than a quarter mile in order to sell smell it, IMHO) before getting out of the car? With proper planning of the use of Save and Charge mode, you should be able to complete the last bit of your trip in EV mode. Unless your destination is on top of a steep hill, maybe.

I've experienced this smell only a couple of times (14 months / 18000 miles): when towing my caravan through small villages and when stuck in a traffic jam with a depleted battery.

Had my 65 plate PHev since the end of November 2015 and had the strong burning smell almost every day. its now got 11k on the clock in 3 months and the smell is getting worse. It happens anytime regardless of whether or not I'm in eco or charge modes. had it the dealer and the official response is that a warm engine smell is normal. Its not a warm engine smell, its similar to a badly burning clutch and Mitsubishi are totally ignoring the issue. as for economy, its awful. I only get around 29-34 mpg on long runs (200+ miles) even though I charge before I set off and en-route. I don't have the heating or aircon on and rarely do over 65-70 mph. the usual amount I get on a charge is around 15 miles (best I have done is 20). I have a very relaxed driving style so its not my driving thats causing the poor economy (I used to get 70-75mpg from my old Civic 2.2 diesel on a run and averaged 60mpg over the 70k I had it) others I have spoken to are getting much more mpg but again Mitsubishi do not want to know. Regretting my choice now, which is a shame as the car is nice to drive otherwise.

Ours is about 18 months old with 18000 miles on the clock and I had not noticed any smells for a long time but I climbed a steep hill with a flat battery a few days ago and it stank of hot electrical insulation - that phenolic smell. It was so strong that I was getting ready to jump out if it caught fire!

certainly not 'a warm engine smell' as Mitsubishi insist on referring to it as, laughable if it wasn't so worrying.

maby said:
Ours is about 18 months old with 18000 miles on the clock and I had not noticed any smells for a long time but I climbed a steep hill with a flat battery a few days ago and it stank of hot electrical insulation - that phenolic smell. It was so strong that I was getting ready to jump out if it caught fire!
You and me both! (your last sentence) I took it up with Dealer, he assured me it was normal and it would wear off. I must admit now (I bought it with 3,200 miles a &now covered about 5,300) thaT I hardly ever get the revolting 'pong'.
Apparently in Sweden there is a factory 'mod' to fit a shield to 'Stop mud sitting on the exhaust pipe'?????
Not applicable in the U.K. apparently, probably because we never get mud ;) !!

Carnut said:
maby said:
You and me both! (your last sentence) I took it up with Dealer, he assured me it was normal and it would wear off. I must admit now (I bought it with 3,200 miles a &now covered about 5,300) thaT I hardly ever get the revolting 'pong'.
Apparently in Sweden there is a factory 'mod' to fit a shield to 'Stop mud sitting on the exhaust pipe'?????
Not applicable in the U.K. apparently, probably because we never get mud ;) !!

Seems unlikely to be mud - don't think that would smell like hot electrical insulation.

Normally the exhaust runs front to back pretty much in the middle of the car. The PHEV has an obstacle there, called a drive battery. Therefor, with our cars, the exhaust runs on the far right side of the car, partly right behind the right front wheel. And it picks up a lot of dirt there. Whether it is the mud being burned off you are smelling or stuff inside the mud I don't know. But I think it is a very plausible explanation.

anko said:
Normally the exhaust runs front to back pretty much in the middle of the car. The PHEV has an obstacle there, called a drive battery. Therefor, with our cars, the exhaust runs on the far right side of the car, partly right behind the right front wheel. And it picks up a lot of dirt there. Whether it is the mud being burned off you are smelling or stuff inside the mud I don't know. But I think it is a very plausible explanation.

My car sees very little mud in its life - the underside is close to spotless! The smells that come out of it are strongly suggestive of hot electrical equipment, not oil or anything organic.

Back