Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlight removal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 am 

I need to change my headlight.

Going down the motorway, something large hurtled towards my pride and joy, making one ‘ell of a bang as it hit the car. It felt like the windscreen was vibrating. No cracks or damage to the windscreen - my thoughts were it was a bird, and there was a slight smear of what looked like blood, but no feather dust left behind, so I was perplexed. I pulled off and braked at the roundabout, a large round pebble (half the size of my fist) suddenly appeared in front of the car, and gently rolled forwards. Oh oh. Checked my poor baby, and it has gone into the near side light, obliterating the reflector around the indicator, and cracking the whole front.

I need to remove and replace the whole unit (or be a dab hand with some superglue, and enjoy puzzles with no diagram, 6,489 pieces, and most likely quite a few missing bits...). I have had a quick dig around, and it looks like it’s going to be a bit of a work up. I can’t find any guides online, only bulb replacement guides. Does anyone know what needs removing? I’ve got a horrible feeling the bumper may need to come off, as well as the wheel arch liners to get to a couple of bolts. Anyone know if that’s the case or not? Ta!

Previous household Hybrids/BEV's
Honda Civic IMA (Gutless)
Toyota Prius (loved it)
Lexus CT200h F-Sport (AVOID!)
Nissan Leaf (Fun!)

Next car:
Tesla Model-3!

Post subject: Re: Headlight removal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:55 am 

Most modern day headlight housing change requires removal of the front bumper. I had done it for Both Acura MDX & Lexus CT200h. They are pain in the A##. and be very gentle with the brittle plastic rivets/clips of the bumper.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 am 

You don't say what year your PHEV is - there have been several different types of light fitted since it was introduced in 2013. However on all models it starts with removing the radiator grille, undertray, front bumper and reinforcement - then it's just half a dozen small bolts that hold the headlamp unit in.

The service manual is available at: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander ... dex_M1.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 am 

Isn’t this event covered by your insurance?

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:04 am 

Ta for all the replies! I was hoping it wasn’t a bumper off job, but I guess I’ll just have to do it.

Richr - the year and model are in my signature - I should have thought to put it in again though. My bad! You’re a star for posting that link. I’d been hunting around for info and failing miserably. Even resorted to looking for a Haynes Book of Lies, but they don’t make one for the Outlander.

I could go through insurance, however the excess is £500. It’s a job I can do myself cheaper than the excess, plus it won’t count as a claim on my policy (I have protected no claims, and no claim for the last 10 years, but you can bet your bottom dollar something else will happen and I’ll lose my no claims!). I expect to be able to source a second hand headlight for around £250. A few new trim clips are cheap enough. Many on the grille trim are snapped anyway due to the force of the impact. I also have a lad living next door who does all his own work on cars, and has offered to lend me a hand if I need it. It’s been years since I worked on a car, but this must be far easier than some of the work I’ve done in the (dim and distant) past.

Toyota Prius (loved it)
Nissan Leaf (Fun!)

Next car:
Tesla Model-3!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:31 am 

Ah ha - when you're in reply mode on here, it looks like it strips the signatures so I didn't see it. But when in normal view mode it's plainly there - I should have noticed really. I put it down to replying early into the morning. ;)

Same model year as mine - pre-facelift early 2015, so a MY2014 as far as the workshop manual is concerned. Sadly the manual is a little lacking in detail (certainly compared to the workshop manuals of Subaru, Honda or Nissan that I've got in PDF format). But it hopefully gives enough guidance to work out what you need to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm 

Yep. First thing in the morning, brains aren't firing on all cylinders!

Hopefully this will be a relatively easy job. I intend to jack up and put the car on axle stands, and remove the front wheels. Should improve access to the wheel arches so I can get the bumper off. Will report back on my success/failure when the jobs complete. Got to find a replacement headlight first. Just been quoted £420+ delivery by one scrappy. I can get far cheaper than that on fleabay.

Toyota Prius (loved it)
Nissan Leaf (Fun!)

Next car:
Tesla Model-3!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:55 pm 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Mit ... 6baaqMd4RS

Body kit
Protection kit