All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Save mode disabled when low on fuel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 am 

You are the first person to (effectively) request a smaller fuel tank :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 am 

anko wrote:
You are the first person to (effectively) request a smaller fuel tank :lol:

Hehe..I'm happy with the size of the tank without Mitsubishi making it "virtually smaller" by the overly cautious REFUEL messages.

But it would be nice if I could choose to run with <5L of fuel in for most of my journeys (which are on EV) and actually know how much I had left.

Removing 40kg of dead weight would help with my EV range ;)

Cheers

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:25 am 

That is aprox 2% of the 'car with driver' weight.
Weight is one parameter, wind resistance another (which is unchanged by weight).
So maybe 1% difference in energy loss with full tank?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:36 am 

PhevWestNorway wrote:
That is aprox 2% of the 'car with driver' weight.
Weight is one parameter, wind resistance another (which is unchanged by weight).
So maybe 1% difference in energy loss with full tank?

You're assuming I haven't ripped out the unused seats? ;)

Most of my journeys are low speed around town, so I doubt wind resistance comes into play much.

Yes the 40kg is probably insignificant compared to the weight of the batteries etc, but having not found any major problems with the car there has to be something I can gripe about right? :lol:

Cheers

Neil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:49 pm 

This post is to thank all the early adopters of the PHEV for experimenting and posting lots of useful information, in the case of this topic, a number of years ago.

Last week I was driving on the highway in Save Mode, and according to the GOM, had enough total range to get home. Then, the predicted range started dropping faster, and the last number I saw for gasoline range before it changed to "--" was 45km. This was still okay to get home. However, about 5km later, with the Refuel light flashing fast, I realized it was running solely on battery which only had about 7km range remaining . Thinking something strange was going on, I pressed Save again - no response. Then tried Charge, but still the ICE would not start. At this point I was envisioning having to pull over and go hiking for fuel, not a pleasant or safe proposition on the highways near Toronto. Thankfully, the battery just got me to a service station, but then the car only took 36 litres to fill (?!).

I searched the forum which led me to this and other topics where other people had a many similar experiences. It is great to find out that the ICE will start again once the battery is fully depleted, something I did not assume would happen. The possible distance to true zero fuel is also a surprise. From the previous reports, it must run until the fuel pressure drops out, which, assuming a 43 litre total capacity, would have been about 7 litres or apprx 80-110km later.

All you can say is the PHEV is not a boring car. Thanks to all the previous posters.