FCM - has anybody let the vehicle stop itself?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

I have had the FCM flash a Brake! Warning a couple of times, usually when a car in front slows down to turn left and I know that I will pass it safely. Has anyone got to stage 2 where it starts applying the brake or even stage 3 where it stops the car?

My car doesn't have it but I wouldn't be able to resist getting a big cardboard box to put as an obstacle and finding a quiet lane or car park and trying it!!

At least if it doesn't work there is no harm done in this case.

Yes but only once and it was a left turning vehicle.
I suggested the ire be the pedestrian but for some unknown to me at least, reason she said "no".
Hope you didn't damage he carbonara box

BobEngineer said:
My car doesn't have it but I wouldn't be able to resist getting a big cardboard box to put as an obstacle and finding a quiet lane or car park and trying it!!

It doesn't work with with low walls then Bobengineer! Sorry - couldn't resist! :lol:

Neverfuel said:
BobEngineer said:

It doesn't work with with low walls then Bobengineer! Sorry - couldn't resist! :lol:

Only if it could wrestle control of the steering back from an idiot!!!!

Neverfuel said:
I have had the FCM flash a Brake! Warning a couple of times
I get this every 2nd trip, I must be a "tailgater" I guess.

Neverfuel said:
Has anyone got to stage 2 where it starts applying the brake
Yep half a dozen times, I was braking anyway but the car thought it wasn't enough (it seems pretty conservative)

Neverfuel said:
or even stage 3 where it stops the car?
Nope. However I have had ACC on through roadworks and the car stops and starts in convoy when the car in front stops. You can't activate ACC below a certain speed, but if its on, it seems to stay on which can be nice (if the car in front drives smoothly).

Bobengineer said:
I wouldn't be able to resist getting a big cardboard box to put as an obstacle
I've been toying with the idea, might try it over Christmas when my brothers are around and uTube it. Stay tuned!

Bobengineer said:
I wouldn't be able to resist getting a big cardboard box to put as an obstacle

Don't forget to cover the inside with three or four layers of aluminium foil.
The PHEV needs its radar beams to be reflected by metal....

For me, the Mitsi system lacks development - so much so, it's embarrassing.

Take LDW. It beeps and flashes in dash - but doesn't mute the radio so you can hear it!!! It's main use is motorways and dual carriageways, so you cannot keep an eye on it all the time.

On my previous Volvo V70, the audio muted so no matter what, you always heard the LDW or AutoBrake warning. It also had leds in front of the dash which acted as a hud when flashing.

Whilst I'm not saying it doesn't work, the integration is poor. I mean, all you need to do is link it to the radio 'mute' cable! And for the extra money charged, it is daft. It should have been addressed in the 2016 but hasn't.

If I'm missing a setting in the setup, then let me know- not that this should be something that needs to be switched on as an option, should be on a standard.

Why it's embarrassing, is because common sense dictates you should be able to be warned at all sound levels of the head unit, and also, considering how much is going on under the car, this is simple basic stuff!

Last bit of mad rant, is that I feel the FCM should be standard on the range, and LDW and ACC should be an option pack available on all models. Safety should not be down to how much money you have. GX3H should be able to have the option fitted.

I wonder what volume you play the radio at. I have never failed to hear these warnings - and I certainly have not set the audio to a whisper.

I have used the ACC to stop the PHEV. Surely the same systems have been used in the FCM. No real difference in the job to be done.

Feel sorry for we AUS punters who have missed out on many options you EU drivers take for granted. What is LDW and what are these side mirrors that park themselves. If it is in the manual it should be an available option. Not so here in AUS.

FCM is a separate system. The system workes in phases.
1. Alert the driver
2. Put pressure on the brake hydraulics to allow faster activation.
3. Apply full brakes (using ABS obviously)

ACC only regulates the car speed and and works far more gently.

I have seen FCM come in whilst the car was slowing down in ACC.

gwatpe said:
I have used the ACC to stop the PHEV. Surely the same systems have been used in the FCM. No real difference in the job to be done.

Feel sorry for we AUS punters who have missed out on many options you EU drivers take for granted. What is LDW and what are these side mirrors that park themselves. If it is in the manual it should be an available option. Not so here in AUS.

LDW - Lane Departure Warning - the camera tracks the white lines and beeps if you wander out of line. Not necessary in Aus as you can meander all over the place without hitting another car on those wide empty outback highways where you don't see another vehicle for hours. :lol:

Same with the mirrors, we only need them because of the narrow little back streets we live in in Europe with on street parking either side leaving no space for the garbage truck to squeeze thro' :lol:

jaapv said:
I wonder what volume you play the radio at. I have never failed to hear these warnings - and I certainly have not set the audio to a whisper.

I had my Volvo for 4 years with ACC, LDW, CitySafe and BLIS. And whilst we all know Volvo has more devlopment in the safety area, the Outlander is a more expensive car to buy from new - quite a bit more actually. So that's why I draw comparison.

I Can't comment on FCM at speed with radio on - not warned me yet (but even at lower speed, it's not the loudest). I appreciate it's a balancing act getting it right.

LDW at speed (50mph+) with radio on, I cannot hear the warning, as it uses the speaker low down burried inside the dash.

Visual warnings for both are in the instrument panel, and therefore cannot really be seen as easily as your eyes should be on the motorway.

The Volvo system uses the central dash speaker of the sound system to alert you - it doesn't fully mute the sound system, but turns it down instantly so you can hear the warning. The LEDs on the dash glow up in front of the driver, and reflect back onto the windscreen. Therefore you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

Try 70mph on the motorway, with radio on (music) and test for yourself (although obvioulsy you'll be listening for it more as you're testing it).

For me, to implement a safety alert system on a car, that doesn't work when the radio is on, is barmy. And it shouldn't matter what volume you have the radio on at (although usually between 28-32).

jaapv said:
FCM is a separate system. The system workes in phases.
1. Alert the driver
2. Put pressure on the brake hydraulics to allow faster activation.
3. Apply full brakes (using ABS obviously)

I have seen FCM come in whilst the car was slowing down in ACC.

^ Not yet seen if the ACC does it on the Outlander, but previous cars, the ACC will brake you to a stop from any speed if it has to, and if the car in front sets off again, within a set period of time, your car will set off and continue again too. An excellent feature for traffic jams on the motorway - a lot easier and safer too.

Yes, the PHEV operates the same way - but ACC will adapt its braking to the relative speeds, and does not initiate the braking and safety systems prior to applying the brakes.
FCM, intended for acute situations and operating over a far shorter distance, will also prepare the car for an emergency stop/crash.

Thought I'd hijack this thread instead of starting my own, since it's somewhat closely related, and I just want a yes/no answer.

Has anyone used ACC/FCM to "draft" a truck on the freeway? Does ACC let you stay close enough to save fuel? The "recommended" distance to keep is 30m, but some people draft as close as 3-4m. According to hypermilers, 30m saves you about 20% fuel, while 3-4m should save you about 40% fuel. In my old car, I would draft at about 30m, though I never got the 20% saving. More like 5-10%, but then, an Mazdaspeed 6 is a fairly aerodynamic car compared to a Outlander.

I'm about to do my first long drive this weekend: 106km @ 110km/h, and I thought with ACC, I could just accept whatever distance it kept, as long as it was under 30m. Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks in advance for any replies, and sorry for the thread hijack.

Sunder said:
Has anyone used ACC/FCM to "draft" a truck on the freeway? Does ACC let you stay close enough to save fuel? The "recommended" distance to keep is 30m

I have used ACC for about 4000km so far, so some of this would have been behind a truck, however I did not think about drafting at the time. 30m (6 car lengths) is very close at 100km/h+ , the closest ACC distance allows cars to freely pull inbetween you and the vehicle ahead so I would think is is much more than 30m, so the effect would be negligable and probably outweighed by the diesel fumes you'd be breathing and slow hill climbs.

zzcoopej said:
I have used ACC for about 4000km so far, so some of this would have been behind a truck, however I did not think about drafting at the time. 30m (6 car lengths) is very close at 100km/h+ , the closest ACC distance allows cars to freely pull inbetween you and the vehicle ahead so I would think is is much more than 30m, so the effect would be negligable and probably outweighed by the diesel fumes you'd be breathing and slow hill climbs.

It's not a distance that you'd want to be fiddling with your radio, that's for sure. I personally wouldn't do it behind a car, since they can stop very quickly, but most trucks take a VERY long time to slow down, so I've always felt it to be a low risk if I'm feeling alert and enjoying the drive.

Thanks for the information. Wish I had a laser range finder so I could confirm for sure what the distance is when I do the drive this weekend. I'll be going past Gosford, so I'll wave hi if I see you :p

If anyone does already have the figures for what distance ACC keeps at 70mph, I'd still appreciate the figure.

Back