Speed camera location

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollycat

Anyone know if there's a way to hack the Sat Nag, and add speed camera locations, such that it warns you of their existence prior to swooping past them? Otherwise we'll have to have the TomTom as well, seems daft.

I don't think so. reason they don't have it is that it is illegal in some countries, for instance Germany. The best solution seems to be to have a dash cam with the location warning built in.

Have tried editing official mitsubishi charging point update by adding poi for cameras. Doesn't seem possible. I use speed cams from pocketgpsworld.com on my iPhone. You can get UK or Europe based cameras with or without France and Germany, depending on your attitude to risk if stopped in either country. GPB 20 a year with frequent updates (daily in some cases).

I have used for years and can recommend.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

No roaming, the database downloads and runs entirely on the phone (ios or android). It only needs a data connection if you have it displaying a moving map, I only use verbal warnings, so no data connection at all.

If you download the app, you get one data update free of charge and only have to join if you want to update. Also, if you spot a new camera and record it on the app, you can get free subscription.

Also, for Navigation, I use "Here" (same as the Mitsu has) on the iPhone - the maps are downloaded and live on the phone, so no data charges or roaming charges at all. And the app and maps are free as well.

Jeff

I use the round signs by the roadside with a number on them. That way the location of all speed cameras becomes irrelevant. Its worked faultlessly for the last 30+ years.

:cool: (the nearest emoticon I could find for 'smug')

EssexBoy said:
I use the round signs by the roadside with a number on them. That way the location of all speed cameras becomes irrelevant. Its worked faultlessly for the last 30+ years.

:p I do likewise and had managed 40 years without a problem - until last month... Then I turned onto a dual carriageway near Southampton that was so obviously 40mph (or faster) and immediately got clocked at 35mph in a 30 zone - shall be doing my "speed awareness" morning later this month.

Rather than a speed camera database, I would like the SatNav to sound an overspeed warning if you are travelling above the speed limit it thinks is in force. The Co-Pilot application that I used to run on my phone had that and it was very useful.

The main problem are secondary roads with repeating short stretches of speed limits. The flow of traffic makes sure there is a near-100% catch rate in traps.

jaapv said:
The main problem are secondary roads with repeating short stretches of speed limits. The flow of traffic makes sure there is a near-100% catch rate in traps.

Or in London the patchwork of individual boroughs introducing 20mph zones (and even borough wide limits) so that any drive will take you in and out of these - especially as key/major routes are mostly exempt. It is not helped by "hiding" the signs behind all the other street furniture and inconsistent placement - we even have apparently different limits depending which side of the road you are. :?

It is all about making money - I have to drive a 8 Km stretch with an 80 Km speed limit, four traffic lights. The speed limts@ 50 Km/H leading up to the traffic lights are about 300 meters long. The speed traps are positioned in a spot where everybody, slowing down to 50 to cross the green light, will be doing 58. Dozens of complaints in the local newspapers, I get told off by my wife, etc...:( :twisted: :twisted:

jaapv said:
It is all about making money - I have to drive a 8 Km stretch with an 80 Km speed limit, four traffic lights. The speed limts@ 50 Km/H leading up to the traffic lights are about 300 meters long. The speed traps are positioned in a spot where everybody, slowing down to 50 to cross the green light, will be doing 58. Dozens of complaints in the local newspapers, I get told off by my wife, etc...:( :twisted: :twisted:

At least round here, the financial pressures work to protect our driving licences. Speed limits are monitored and enforced by the local police, but any fines are collected by central government whereas the local police can charge us to attend "speed awareness" training which does not count as a punishment for an offence and is not recorded on our licences.

Well, we don't have points on our licence nor forced training unless linked to a court case, but then speeding fines are very high. starting at 30 Euro minimum to for instance 200 Euro for 20 Km/h (80-100 outside built up areas) and even sums in excess of 1000 Euro.. :(

maby said:
EssexBoy said:

:p I do likewise and had managed 40 years without a problem - until last month... Then I turned onto a dual carriageway near Southampton that was so obviously 40mph (or faster) and immediately got clocked at 35mph in a 30 zone - shall be doing my "speed awareness" morning later this month.

Rather than a speed camera database, I would like the SatNav to sound an overspeed warning if you are travelling above the speed limit it thinks is in force. The Co-Pilot application that I used to run on my phone had that and it was very useful.

Ah. That'll be Bitterne Road West then. Going into town its also down hill and 30 feels like you could get out and walk right? But from there its all residential with narrow pavements - you can see why its not more than 30 really.

This is the secret everyone. Ready ? Use the speedo 'cos humans cannot accurately perceive their own speed beyond running pace - its just evolution - another 10 thousand years and we will get good at speeds above about 10 mph. Second top tip is change down the box - 30 in third gear is great for most manuals - now obviously that's where our PHEVs don't help so much! We get no audible cue that we might be going too fast. Back to the speedo; it's our only hope.

jaapv said:
Not the only hope - the speed limiter is quite effective.

Not if you think the speed limit is higher - as EssexBoy implied - its back to seeing a sign telling you that is the limit. :oops:

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
Not the only hope - the speed limiter is quite effective.

Not if you think the speed limit is higher - as EssexBoy implied - its back to seeing a sign telling you that is the limit. :oops:

Exactly! I was absolutely aware of my speed - just wrong about the limit in force - when the speed camera flashed I actually looked down at the speedo and thought to myself "what the hell is it talking about, I'm only doing 35?". I had got lost, turned onto a dual carriageway, realised that I needed to be going the other way to get to my destination and was glancing at the satnav screen to try to work out where to turn round. The road in question is dual carriageway, with wide grass areas along both sides at that point - the nearest building on either side must be close to a hundred yards away - the speed limit was so obviously 40 - in fact there are parts of the A406 in London with houses much closer and a 50mph speed limit!

Never mind, I guess it is just some payback for all the money I saved with my parking ticket many years ago... At that time I was living in London and I got a ticket. I neglected to pay it and got a reminder, so I sent the payment with the reminder and that left me with a brand new ticket, still in its plastic bag. For close to two years I parked anywhere I wanted in London - stopped on a yellow line and tucked the ticket under the wiper - nobody ever put a second ticket on the car. Then I went to visit a friend somewhere up north - left the car on a yellow line and the ticket under the wiper. I got back a hour or so later to find another ticket on the car and a note also stuck to the windscreen. It read:

"Dear sir/madam, round here they are blue!

Regards

Warden"

Back