mort

Re: Let's stop ICEheat, when cold...

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:56 pm

Now getting cold starts when simply crossing from one side of a parking lot to another in 54° ambient temperatures. Took PHEV into the service department they installed three updates and took care of the seatbelt recall. The next morning the vehicle did not start at 38 but later that day it was back to its usual shenanigans starting with the EV button depressed no climate called for, crossing a parking lot, at 45 to 50° Mitsubishi service says vehicle returns no error codes and they have no idea how to fix the issue. Service center also says they’ve never seen this before. It is as if the EV button does nothing at temperatures below 55° there by resulting in a vehicle that operates exactly like a regular Prius with terrible mileage. I did run with the DIY TV button for a while but when the vehicle would run in normal mode it did not run smoothly so I discontinued the DIY EV button. Has anybody else experienced this type of behavior. As I said the Seattle dealer and service center have not.

kpetrov

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:56 am

The facebook group with similar problems is growing big and strong.
People even with 2020 models are complaining regarding ICE start at ambient temperatures around 15C/60F.
Myself yesterday, I did a long trip at 20C/68F. After the initial ICE warmup on the highway CHARGE-ing the battery with following commute on EV I parked the vehicle for 5 min. Once I put it in ready the ICE fired up. 40% SOC, 20C/68F, warm engine, ridiculous.
Engine kill switch is working flawlessly though. 8-)
2018 Outlander PHEV (Canadian)

oscarmax

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:47 am

kpetrov wrote:
People even with 2020 models are complaining regarding ICE start at ambient temperatures around 15C/60F.
Myself yesterday, I did a long trip at 20C/68F. After the initial ICE warmup on the highway CHARGE-ing the battery with following commute on EV I parked the vehicle for 5 min. Once I put it in ready the ICE fired up. 40% SOC, 20C/68F, warm engine, ridiculous.
I don't use any sites like Facebook, so cannot really comment.

Our 2020 UK model tend stay in EV unless the temperature is below 8/9 degrees C, if I switch the heating off press EV mode then switch the heating back on to 18/20 degrees C, unless it it below zero degrees outside it will stay in EV mode without the ICE firing up, turn the heating up to 20 degrees plus and the ICE will fire up.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

jaapv

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 am

oscarmax wrote:

Our 2020 UK model tend stay in EV unless the temperature is below 8/9 degrees C, if I switch the heating off press EV mode then switch the heating back on to 18/20 degrees C, unless it it below zero degrees outside it will stay in EV mode without the ICE firing up, turn the heating up to 20 degrees plus and the ICE will fire up.
Same here; Unlike my previous 2013 model, the present one 2019 (German model) behaves exactly like yours.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

angainor

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:58 am

jaapv wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 am
oscarmax wrote:

Same here; Unlike my previous 2013 model, the present one 2019 (German model) behaves exactly like yours.
I have a Norwegian 2017 model with electric heater and I do not experience any of this. The ICE doesn't fire up until below -10. I can set the heater to 29 (not that it changes much compared to 20 - it is heating slower than with ICE). One thing that does trigger ICE is the defroster button. But then I simply don't use it, and instead turn on AC to auto and direct it at windscreen.

It's strange that there are such fundamental differences in behavior between different models. If it's the programming, then I don't envy the developers, who have to manage all the different releases. Maybe it's some sensor fault?

oscarmax

Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:10 am

oscarmax wrote:
kpetrov wrote:

Tried it this morning 7 degrees C, heater on ICE did not fire up
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

jaapv

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 am

angainor wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:58 am
It's strange that there are such fundamental differences in behavior between different models. If it's the programming, then I don't envy the developers, who have to manage all the different releases. Maybe it's some sensor fault?
I'd say it is not surprising in the least. We are not talking about cars here, but about computers on wheels. I won't bore the forum with the hassle of replacing an Intel-based Mac with a Silicon-based one, but suffice to say that the ICE behaviour is pretty minor in comparison.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

kpetrov

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am

We are aware that European models (at least software) is behaving like it should.
That being said does not change the fact that a lot of Canadians are complaining regarding unwanted and unnecessary ICE startups that you guys can easily avoid.
2018 Outlander PHEV (Canadian)

Fjpod

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 am

mort wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:56 pm
Now getting cold starts when simply crossing from one side of a parking lot to another in 54° ambient temperatures. Took PHEV into the service department they installed three updates and took care of the seatbelt recall. The next morning the vehicle did not start at 38 but later that day it was back to its usual shenanigans starting with the EV button depressed no climate called for, crossing a parking lot, at 45 to 50° Mitsubishi service says vehicle returns no error codes and they have no idea how to fix the issue. Service center also says they’ve never seen this before. It is as if the EV button does nothing at temperatures below 55° there by resulting in a vehicle that operates exactly like a regular Prius with terrible mileage. I did run with the DIY TV button for a while but when the vehicle would run in normal mode it did not run smoothly so I discontinued the DIY EV button. Has anybody else experienced this type of behavior. As I said the Seattle dealer and service center have not.
Is it possible that you have burned so little fuel that you car has gone into the automatic fuel burning cycle? Mitsubishi has it programmed where if you don't burn something like 3 or 4 gallons of gasoline during a 3 or 4 month period, it will automatically run the ICE to burn off the fuel to prevent it from getting stale.

This is one of the reasons why, when it gets very cold, I just let the ICE start. It is a better source of heat, and it charges the battery at the same time, and it uses at least some fuel.
Previous prius and imiev owner.

mort

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:14 pm

No it’s every morning. And this afternoon it was 55 Fahrenheit 13 C ambient. Car parked in the sun, 75 F 21 C inside the cab and in EV mode, no HVAC, 75% SOC, Light throttle, ICE starts at 12 MPH. I immediately pulled over as I was just going to the store 3/4 of a mile, power cycled the vehicle and the ICE re-fired at 12MPH again. This happened again when I left the store and headed home. The cars fucked up, getting worse every season and the technicians can’t fix it. It does not throw codes. I have contacted all three Seattle area service centers none are reporting other vehicles with similar problems. And none of them can fix a problem that does not throw a code. I think it i# a thermistor or an aqua-stat that has drifted they say that would throw a code. I’m so glad this is a lease!

Return to “Technical Discussions”