Metallic clinking / clunking sound during braking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

For some time now Ive been aware of an intermittent "metallic" clinking noise as I come to a stop under braking. Sounds like its from underneath, possible towards the rear, maybe drivers side. Wondering if its the brakes or the rear electric motor .

Any similar experience or thoughts?

I have a metallic sound from the exhaust system rubbing on the sub frame with heavy ICE loading, after some OFF road travels modified the low slung exhaust a bit. It is a lot harder to fix and not as much fun as the driving where it happened.

themolecatcher said:
Hello

For some time now Ive been aware of an intermittent "metallic" clinking noise as I come to a stop under braking. Sounds like its from underneath, possible towards the rear, maybe drivers side. Wondering if its the brakes or the rear electric motor .

I take it this is not the clunk you get when moving from Drive to Neutral? I only ask because I know some drivers are used to automatically moving into Neutral before actually at a stop i.e. coasting up to the final brake point.

Hi All,

I have the same type of clunking just after breaking or changing from forward to reverse and sometimes when moving at slow speed.
There is another thread about this somewhere on the forum....

My car is due for a service soon and will ask the garage to check it out.....will let you know what they say....... :?

billa said:
Hi All,

I have the same type of clunking just after breaking or changing from forward to reverse and sometimes when moving at slow speed.

My car is due for a service soon and will ask the garage to check it out.....will let you know what they say....... :?
Wouldn't mind betting that is 'brake pad shuffle'.
As you brake going forwards the pads would move to the bottom of the calipers. Then go into reverse & brake and they flip up to the top of the calipers, causing a sharp clicking noise.
This often happens when the friction material is getting a bit thin.
How many miles have you done since new or last time you had new brake pads?

greendwarf said:
themolecatcher said:
Hello

I take it this is not the clunk you get when moving from Drive to Neutral? I only ask because I know some drivers are used to automatically moving into Neutral before actually at a stop i.e. coasting up to the final brake point.

Hi

No its not that one...I know what you mean though.

Carnut said:
billa said:
Hi All,

Wouldn't mind betting that is 'brake pad shuffle'.
As you brake going forwards the pads would move to the bottom of the calipers. Then go into reverse & brake and they flip up to the top of the calipers, causing a sharp clicking noise.
This often happens when the friction material is getting a bit thin.
How many miles have you done since new or last time you had new brake pads?

Yes...it sounds like you get the same thing as me...quite a loud clink/clunk noise, just after the brakes are applied. My car has done 16.5 k miles, 10 months old.

Quick Update

Had my PHEV first service last week, carried out by Mitsubishi West London in Barnes.

Very happy with the service and service manager and they fixed the clunking noise, turns out it was something in the brakes that needed adjustment.

All running great......

I've just added a post about this, which I suspect is the same thing. Did you get any detailed information about what it could have been and did the clunking return?

Back