Mysterious beeping

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wislon

I have had my PHEV for 4 weeks and it has recently started giving a long beep followed by four high pitched short beeps, everytime I turn the car on and when I slow right down, or stop and start again. There are no warning signs/symbols. Can anyone throw a light on what this means? The garage I bought the car from has no idea.

Well... I can't find a table of Mitsubishi error tones anywhere on the net, hopefully someone else will post one on the forum.

However, it is possible that you are getting more than one error there.

The satnav gives of a single low tone "bong" when approaching a curve.
The only visible indicator is a little exclamation mark, inside I yellow diamond, that appears on the top of the map screen.
This happens if the satnav thinks you're going to fast for an approaching curve. (As far as I can see, it is VERY conservative)

You can turn that off by getting into the Nav menus:
NAVI MENU key
Type
Guidance
Curve Guidance (set to off)

The other one could be the seatbelt warning...

Any chance that you're putting something on one of the seats?

It's also possible that you're getting a warning sound, because an indicator light is faulty (I have no idea if our cars do that or not).

One way to check that is to ensure that all indicators are lit when you first turn on the car.

Similarly, could be a door open warning.

I have found that many of the warning symbols are really subtle. If you are getting the warning while stopped, look hard at all the symbols on the dash. The door warnings are indicated by a single line, on the car icon, intended to show that a door is open.

Similarly the sonar alarms are a tiny graphic which indicates the sensor that is triggering. (Little lines being emitted from the car icon)

Maybe we should start a list of audible warnings and get one of the admins to paste it up as a sticky topic?

Some examples to start:

Audible Warning When it happens Explanation
Single Chime After pushing the start button Ready to start
High pitch, rapid triple beep, after pushing the start button and trying to select Drive or Reverse - Not ready for Drive or Reverse yet.
Six pairs of chimes (ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding) after pushing the start button - someone is not wearing their seat belt.
Continuous single chimes - Door open (check dashboard to see which one)
Really loud external triple beep, three sets of three - the car is still turned on, and you have taken the keyfob away!
Mysterious low bong sound while driving - satnav things you're going too fast for the approaching corner
Machine-gun staccato beeps when trying to lock the car - one of the doors is open.

Hmm... the forum says that BBCode is on, but I couldn't format the above as a table...

thanks for those suggestions, but none apply. And it is definitely one warning sound made up of one long beep immediately followed by four short high pitched ones.

Wislon said:
thanks for those suggestions, but none apply. And it is definitely one warning sound made up of one long beep immediately followed by four short high pitched ones.

Can you record it and post it?

Yay! The admins have turned on table formatting for us!

Audible WarningWhen it happensExplanation
Single ChimeAfter pushing the start buttonPHEV is ready to start moving
High pitch, rapid triple beepAfter pushing the start button and trying to select Drive or ReverseNot ready for Drive or Reverse yet
Six pairs of chimesAfter pushing the start buttonA seat is occupied, but the seat belt is not fastened
Continuously repeating single chimesAfter pushing the start buttonA door is not properly closed (check dashboard to see which one)
Really loud external triple beep, three sets of threeThe car is still turned on, and someone leaves the vehicleKeyfob is no longer in range
Mysterious low bong sound while drivingWhen approaching a curve in the roadsatnav thinks you're going too fast for the approaching corner
Machine-gun staccato beepsWhen trying to lock the carone of the doors is not properly closed

It's none of those sounds/beeps. I've recorded the sounds - but I don't know how to attach a wav file.

I think you need to put the file on a public server, and then add a link to that server, via the URL button above the comment window.

Wislon said:
I have had my PHEV for 4 weeks and it has recently started giving a long beep followed by four high pitched short beeps, everytime I turn the car on and when I slow right down, or stop and start again. There are no warning signs/symbols. Can anyone throw a light on what this means? The garage I bought the car from has no idea.

Might be useful to know exact model you have and year of manufacture.

JimB

OK. I'm definitely stumped.

I have an after market tyre pressure monitoring system, and that cheerfully wakes up with a very high pitched sound like that, except it does a single high pitched beep.

I'm wracking my brains, wondering if there's anything that would announce itself with a morse code TH.

Is there any chance that it's a device that someone has left in the car?

Something along the lines of a child's toy, hand held GPS, fit-bit, that kind of thing?

Must be some sort of retrofitted hardware. Perhaps parking sensors, tire monitors e.t.c.
Can you locate where its coming from? The speakers or some separate buzzer?
Also check the fuse box in the lower part of the dash for signs of retrofitted hardware.

sorted at last! It was a loose connection to the front parking sensors that were fitted for us.

4 days ago I started having one long beep followed by two short high pitch beeps. when driving it keeps happening.. when turning off the front parking sensors, the beeps disappear...
still getting it on starting the car...
Yes I agree it might be the parking sensors

Ours suddenly developed a strange pattern of beeps on significant acceleration or deceleration - had me really puzzled. Then, a few days later, I was loading shopping into the back, moved a bag that I had put in there the previosu week and got exactly the same pattern. I looked inside and discovered a smoke alarm that I had removed from our boat - something else was pressing against the "test button" and each acceleration was shifting the bag enough to press the button and make it go through a self-test!

I was interested to see your final post; I have just started getting the same pattern of beeps but it is a very different sound to the usual parking sensor noise. Was yours?

Recently the car started beeping "beep-beep, beep-beep....." when driven.

Searching has shown there's no official list of sounds, there is a compilation of deciphered sounds earlier in this thread.

Turned out to be due to a map book on the rear passenger seat that's been stored there for years.

The seat occupancy lights on the dash indicated that the rear passenger seats were occupied, but that always went out when the car was driven, and never beeped.

The occurence of the beeping was random, some drives it was there, some drives not.

Book removed, seat occupancy lights are off, and no more beeps !

Michael

Back