Hard acceleration with cold engine?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPHEVer

Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear li
It occured to me this morning as I accelerated on to the A1 near my house (to avoid being squashed by a big lorry), presumably the engine kicks-in when the gauge gets in to the 'power' zone, as far as I know I was only in electric until that point, so surely the engine goes from stone cold to then very suddenly revving hard. Surely this is not good for the engine? I would never normally rev an engine this hard (I don't know how hard 'cos obviously it doesn't have a rev counter) until it was well warmed up.

NightPHEVer said:
It occured to me this morning as I accelerated on to the A1 near my house (to avoid being squashed by a big lorry), presumably the engine kicks-in when the gauge gets in to the 'power' zone, as far as I know I was only in electric until that point, so surely the engine goes from stone cold to then very suddenly revving hard. Surely this is not good for the engine? I would never normally rev an engine this hard (I don't know how hard 'cos obviously it doesn't have a rev counter) until it was well warmed up.

This has been raised before and its been pointed out that modern synthetic oils don't drain off the components as in the "old days", which is where most of the risk of damage came from - also as the power is initially via the electric motors, there isn't the shock load which might stress the engine otherwise, as everything is already moving. :)

Thanks for the information, both useful and slightly reassuring. I do like to know how things work especially as compared to my last car - a 20 year old diesel Jeep with no catalytic converter, let alone particulate filter - this one's a bit hi-tech. I've gone from Capstan Full Strength to E-cigarette. There's not I think much I'm going to get to fiddle with, although I've already got a rubber trolley jack pad made so the sills don't get damaged, and I've replaced the plated screws that hold the plastic sill covers on, with stainless.

Just a little off topic...

In the post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2522 HHL says...
There are some differences in the 4B11 engine compared to the ones used in other cars, the bearings are resin coated, presumably to reduce friction before full oil pressure develops.

Does anyone know where I can read a bit more about this aspect of the 4B11 engine design? Is there a Mitsubishi Document with all the juicy details? I have tried google without any luck.

Try starting here page 29. It briefly refers to engine differences.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106981165/PHEV/PHEV%20Outlander%20Technical%20Highlights%20for%20MMAL.pdf

Remember the PHEV Outlander Technical Highlights Manual and others are listed here.

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1756&hilit=pdf+owners+manual

Perhaps this list should be pinned somewhere obvious. They answer lots of question.

No I get sea sick. I too would be interested in further technical evidence regarding the use of resin coated bearings. I've often wondered (mostly to myself) why the PHEV doesn't have a more on-trend 3 cylinder, 1000cc turbo motor (especially as Mitsubishi make small, 3 cylinder motors - my Smart car has got one). 2000cc normally aspirated seems a bit old fashioned. Could it be something to do with the running temperature requirements of a small, turbo motor?

Interestingly I came across this advert while looking for clues.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302033676444?clk_rvr_id=1087298709647&rmvSB=true

It seems to suggest that facelift model have 3hp less than the initial PHEVs?

Further reading on engine changes on page 6. (includes resin bearings to assist during cold starts.

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Mitsubishi_OutlanderPHEV_2014_ProductInformation_201403.pdf

That is an interesting pamphlet, Ian, it mentions ( to change the subject dramatically) that the PHEV does have limited slip differentials, and that 4WD lock has "rapid responses to wheel spin", matters that have been discussed regularly in this forum.

Thanks. Those technical documents should be a sticky. All the information is there. The water and oil cooling systems seem overly complicated, but hey everything works great (until is does not!)

jaapv
Below is the extract you mention from that Australian Pamphlet.
I think that the 'limited-slip function' mentioned is probably an electronic controlled function of the individual wheel brakes.
Other 4x4 cars sometimes have this and further tuning of responses to cover different surfaces i.e. sand, rocks, mud, snow etc.

S-AWC (Super All-Wheel Control) As a fully integrated vehicle dynamics system, the S-AWC incorporates: AYC (Active Yaw Control), ASC (Active Stability Control) and ABS. This system uses the brakes, power steering and regenerative braking to ensure maximum vehicle stability during dynamic or emergency manoeuvres. Stability: Yaw movement is controlled using the brakes and power steering with rapid torque transfer response to regulate both front/ rear and left/right torque splits.

Traction Control: Front wheel slip is controlled by a combination of a limited-slip differential function within the AYC system plus front and rear wheel torque split optimisation. In 4WD LOCK, the system increases the wheel speed differential limiting force and the front/ rear torque transfer response to improve traction. All automatically and instantly managed by the S-AWC system.

Emergency Braking: On the threshold of brake lock-up, regenerative braking torque and front/rear torque split is used to ensure maximum braking and stability. 4WD LOCK The driver can engage 4WD lock function by pressing the 4WD LOCK button located in the centre console. In this mode, the drivetrain system optimises traction with rapid responses to wheel spin by managing torque distribution on low grip surfaces.

Regards Ian

PS is there a chance that links to all these documents we find can be pinned (high up) in the Tech Discussions area or even have a separate heading for 'Useful Documents'.

Back