PHEV Watchdog for all.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyBigFoot

I'm finally announcing to the PHEVer community the first version of the PHEV Watchdog (to be release very soon).

Only for Android, and no... I'm not considering porting this to iPhone... Sorry, not much time on my agenda.

Here's the current screen layout of data:

phev_whatchdog_screens_01.png

Start or stop collecting data is triggered through the main menu, as well as the options and trips lists.

phev_whatchdog_screens_02.png

There is quite a bit o things the user can setup, I'll explain that later.

phev_whatchdog_screens_03.png

Data logging is supported by writing each trips (Start/Stop live data readings) into separate files, some stats are also calculated and stored along with each trip.

phev_whatchdog_screens_04.png

And bellow an example of a log trip file.

phev_whatchdog_screens_05.png

Of course, an ELM bluetooth dongle is needed... And I can't guarantee the one you've purchased will work.

For those who don't have yet the OBD dongle, I can only recommend the following that I'm using, which should work perfectly (mine does at least):

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

Which you should fine on amazon.

And that's it... First release is beta and should have some little bugs and things to fix, still everything is pretty stable and functional at the moment (I've been using it daily).

I will make this available to anyone totally free of charges, first and future releases... So, enjoy it ;)

I will make this available to anyone totally free of charges, first and future releases... So, enjoy it ;)

Are you going to post it in Android Play ?

I can't wait to try it ;)

elm70 said:

Eh eh... I can tell you it's looking good :)

For the moment no play store as it will cost me to place it there.

I'll put the download link of the apk here when it's ready ;)

GreyBigFoot said:
elm70 said:

Eh eh... I can tell you it's looking good :)

For the moment no play store as it will cost me to place it there.

I'll put the download link of the apk here when it's ready ;)

I did not know Google Place was charging for place an item ... I though people get paid :shock:

Anyhow ... a link for download will do the job in the same way

By any chance you may want to share the source code ? In open or private way ?

It will be also nice to be able to find some special code to be sent to the car

I know it is possible to change some parameters .. like max power from battery (default is 60kw) .. and I believe is possible to change the SOC level that kick in the ICE ... and maybe even more code are possibles .. like the magic EV mode

GreyBigFoot said:
I'm finally announcing to the PHEVer community the first version of the PHEV Watchdog (to be release very soon).

Only for Android, and no... I'm not considering porting this to iPhone... Sorry, not much time on my agenda.

Here's the current screen layout of data:

phev_whatchdog_screens_01.png

Start or stop collecting data is triggered through the main menu, as well as the options and trips lists.

phev_whatchdog_screens_02.png

There is quite a bit o things the user can setup, I'll explain that later.

phev_whatchdog_screens_03.png

Data logging is supported by writing each trips (Start/Stop live data readings) into separate files, some stats are also calculated and stored along with each trip.

phev_whatchdog_screens_04.png

And bellow an example of a log trip file.

phev_whatchdog_screens_05.png

Of course, an ELM bluetooth dongle is needed... And I can't guarantee the one you've purchased will work.

For those who don't have yet the OBD dongle, I can only recommend the following that I'm using, which should work perfectly (mine does at least):

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

Which you should fine on amazon.

And that's it... First release is beta and should have some little bugs and things to fix, still everything is pretty stable and functional at the moment (I've been using it daily).

Eagerly awaiting the release of this little gem!

STEVIAN said:
shame it's not for ios as well :(

I bought a cheap (£25) shop soiled/returned/repaired ASUS Android tablet so I could benefit from those Apps that weren't available on IOS.

Tipper said:
STEVIAN said:
shame it's not for ios as well :(

I bought a cheap (£25) shop soiled/returned/repaired ASUS Android tablet so I could benefit from those Apps that weren't available on IOS.

Other than PHEV Remote Control 2 and EvBatMon are there any useful IOS Apps for the Outlander?

Hi

I have been looking on ebay for the OBDLink LX and to get it imported, I am looking at around £70 inc P&P and import duty. I guess I am curious as to what are examples of useful info I could extract out of my Phev if I bought this dongle; with, or without the impressive Watchdog.

Daniel

Hello all!

Well for all this time I've been testing the app with a restricted number of local users.

I'm happy to announce that I'll be finally releasing next week the first stable version here :cool:

In short, beside the raw vital information extracted from the OBD (battery status, motors status, etc), PHEV Watchdog is able to produce a bunch of extra data inferred from the the former (consumption stats, driving stats, etc). All this is complemented with the GPS info of the mobile phone (coordinates and altitude).
Beside that it's packed with some cool and nice automatic logging features (real time data logging to file, trip history and battery condition history).

I'll be posting latter some screens and explanations.

Oh... For now, the following OBD adapters have been reported to be compatible with the App:

OBDLink LX
Konnwei KW902

Stay tuned ;)

Well before making available the "little dog" I'll post here a quick overview.

It's a simple multiscreen app (5 screens at the moment) from which you can swipe from to the other.

Each screen displays a set of more or less correlated data.

First there's the starting screen, which could be called the main screen with some general data.

phev_whatchdog_screens_main_01.jpg

General data fields (left to right, top to bottom):

- Speed (Car Data)
- Direction (inferred from Mobile GPS)
- Odometer (Car Data)
- Elapsed time (Mobile System Clock)
- Altitude (Mobile GPS, averaged)
- Operation Mode (inferred from Car Data)
- Motors Combined Power (inferred from Car Data)
- Engine (Card Data)
- Fuel Level (Car Data, moving averaged)
- Distance (inferred from Car Data)

And at the bottom some control field about the GPS Status (Mobile), bluetooth and OBD connections.

Fields marked as "Card Data" are the exact copy of data received from the OBD connection.

Next there is the motors screen, which is pretty much self-explanatory.

phev_watchdog_motors_01.jpg

Motors data fields:

- Motors Ratio (inferred from Car Data)
- Front Motor RPM (Car Data)
- Front Motor Torque (Car Data)
- Rear Motor RPM (Car Data)
- Rear Motor Torque (Car Data)
- Generator RPM (Car Data)
- Generator Torque (Car Data)

"Motor Ratio" corresponds to the power distribution (torque) between front and rear motors.

+ Torque means motor is powered, - Torque means motor is regenerating (charging).
Generator Torque is always zero or minus (charging).

Next the battery screen with a lot of useful info:

phev_watchdog_battery_01.jpg

Battery data fields:

- State Of Health (inferred from Car Data)
- Total Reported Capacity (Car Data)
- State Of Charge (inferred from Car Data)
- Current Reported Charge (Car Data)
- Consumed Charge (Inferred from Car Data)
- Regenerated Charge (Inferred from Car Data)
- Max Input Power (Car Data)
- Max Output Power (Car Data)
- Current Voltage (Car Data)
- PWM Fan Output (Car Data)

SOH (State Of Health) is inferred from a generally accepted nominal capacity value of 38 Ah as new.
SOC (State Of Charge) is inferred from Current Charge / Total Capacity.

Consumed Charge is the accumulated value of lossed Charge.
Regenerated Charge is the accumulated value of gained Charge (through regenerative braking AND ICE powered generator).

Cells and charger screen:

phev_watchdog_cells_01.jpg

Cells and charger data fields:

- Cell with minimum voltage, ID and value (Car Data)
- Cell with maximum voltage, ID and value (Car Data)
- Cell Module with minimum temperature, ID and value (Car Data)
- Cell Module with maximum temperature, ID and value (Car Data)
- Cells average voltage (Car Data)
- Cells target voltage (Car Data)
- Total number of 100V chargings (Car Data)
- Total accumulated duration of 100V chargings (Car Data)
- Total number of 200V chargings (Car Data)
- Total accumulated duration of 200V chargings (Car Data)

Not much to add here, everything comes from OBD.

At this time individual cells report are not yet available.

Finally the trip screen (still a work in progress):

phev_watchdog_trip_01.jpg

First it should be understood that the "dog" segments the data into "trips".

The user is responsible to start and stop the "recording" of a trip... Once you stopped it, thats it. That trip is over, and closed.

This screen will report the current status for the current trip. After ending a trip, you still have the possibility to view the stats, as all are kept by the "dog".

Trip data fields:

- Total percent of EV driving (inferred from Car Data)
- Total percent of Glide driving (inferred from Car Data)
- Total percent of Regenerated driving (inferred from Car Data).
- Eco score (inferred from Car Data)
- Energy consumption (inferred from Car Data, averaged)
- Fuel consumption (inferred from Car Data, averaged)
- Fuel rate (inferred from Car Data)
- Climb (inferred from Mobile GPS)
- Descent (inferred from Mobile GPS)
- Average speed (inferred from Car Data, averaged)
- Maximum speed (inferred from Car Data)

EV driving is the actual driving in pure electric mode (no ICE whatsoever). You'll find this won't match the value reported by the MMCS (don't know why), but believe me the former is right.
Glide records the % of EV driving (no ICE) that is done in pure Glide, which means speed above zero and zero torque for both motors. Which is achieved by moving with B0 and no pressure on the accelerator pedal.
Regenerated records the % of EV driving (no ICE) achieved with regenerative braking.

Eco score, still needs a bit of work, don't mind this.

Energy consumption is inferred from: Accumulated([Consumed Charge] * [Voltage]) / [Distance Traveled]
The accumulated value is very precise, as it is the sum of observed values in very small portions of time...
Again most of the time this doesn't matches the value reported by the MMCS... For those who are skeptic, just do the math at the end of your trip to see who's lying.

Fuel consumption is inferred from: Accumulated([Fuel Spent]) / [Distance Traveled], being [Fuel Spent] calculated from [Fuel Rate]
Fuel rate is inferred from the air flow going into the engine, which is reported by the OBD.
Here the values matches the ones reported by MMCS, but the latter seems to have some kind of delay and you'll find the Fuel consumption reported by the "dog" to be much more accurate.

Climb and Descent, are accumulated values observed from the Altitude data field.

Average speed is a simple average [Distance Traveled] / [Elapsed Time] and maximum the top observed value of the [Speed] data field.

That's it for today, tomorrow some more ;)

Feel free to post your questions.

Back