Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Identifying CanBus parameters
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 am 

Roy13 wrote:

I also discovered if you remove Fuse 14 & 15 you can drive in full EV mode as the petrol motor cannot start. It will run for 30sec in it's prime stage but not start or try again. If like me you were thinking of putting a switch in these fuses once there back in you have to cycle the ignition for the petrol engine to start again. Sorry i know there are many question based around this but these were my preliminary findings.

Nice hacking info ;) .. much appreciated

I did try the fuse pull removal (can't recall which, but it was the one for the fuel pomp) ... what I did notice back then was:

1- It did work fine on 1st usage ... ICE try to start, get an error on dash .. and run in EV mode without problem.
2 - On next, or one of the following start up, while keeping off he fuse ... the ICE try to start up all the time ... I could drive fine in EV mode ... but not nice to have a engine that try to start and fail every second
3 - After put back the fuse ... for some reason the car did want to consume all the fuel due to the "old fuel" .. problem solved by disconnecting the battery

So ... while driving in EV mode is nice without the fuse on ... I'm wondering if removing both the fuse not only the fuel pump is disabled, but as well the attempt to start the engine.

Ideally .. it would be nice to send the error code that ICE has problem .. and keeping the fuse in place

I was also thinking to add a switch instead of a fuse .. I got a simple 12v switch with 433Mhz controller ... but ... I don't know where to source 12v inside the fuse box (but maybe I did not search much on it)

It would be nice to have some OBD2 codes which could be send to the PHEV for disable the ICE to start and maybe remap some battery parameters too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 pm 

elm70 wrote:
Nice hacking info ;) .. much appreciated

Fully agree. I would enjoy it, if this would allow a "pure EV" position.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 pm 

There's only 2 foreseeable ways I can see too make pure EV mode. Neither are simple.
1: As discuss earlier in this thread, interfacing the canbus between the generator & ECU. Filter out the signal.
2: Similar to the rather expensive V-tech box (well it is once converted to Aussie dollars) an Arduino on the throttle trim pod. Sampling the input & outputting a signal controlled by rate of rise.
There's 2 problems with this one there's 2 trim pods on the throttle and this doesn't stop the engine coming on when your only 1km from home & the car thinks it's flat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 pm 

Roy13 wrote:
There's 2 problems with this one there's 2 trim pods on the throttle

I think one is for throttle position and one for throttle speed. You can set the latter to 0.
Roy13 wrote:
... and this doesn't stop the engine coming on when your only 1km from home & the car thinks it's flat.

Crossed my mind many times. Basically every time when the ICE first started when I could already see my driveway or the office building I am working in. Now, you could try to use up a bit of the safety buffer but that will only move the issue 2 or 3 km further down the road. And then you have the same issue again. Where does that end? With a dead battery? :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 pm 

Alright Anko i have not forgotten about your question on canbus ID 287.
I've found when parked that item G sits at 0x00 until you push the charge button and the generator comes on G changes to 0x04.
It does not return to 0x00 until the engine has switched off.
When driving around the yard 0x00 engine off idling, 0x03 when driving in EV mode, 0x07 when moving and engine on under acceleration (below 70kph), 0x04 when coming to a stop and idling again, then 0x00 once engine stops again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:54 am 

Roy13 wrote:
Alright Anko i have not forgotten about your question on canbus ID 287.
I had :oops: Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:06 am 

Roy13 wrote:
There's only 2 foreseeable ways I can see too make pure EV mode. Neither are simple.
1: As discuss earlier in this thread, interfacing the canbus between the generator & ECU. Filter out the signal.
2: Similar to the rather expensive V-tech box (well it is once converted to Aussie dollars) an Arduino on the throttle trim pod. Sampling the input & outputting a signal controlled by rate of rise.
There's 2 problems with this one there's 2 trim pods on the throttle and this doesn't stop the engine coming on when your only 1km from home & the car thinks it's flat.

Hi!

Returning to old subject. I'm really interested in this "full EV" mode. I do have the V-Tech PHEVbox, which does take care of the throttle reasonably nicely. But the provided ICEHeaterStop does not really work in cold weather, I ended up removing it. Outside temperature affects the ICE starting, it is not enough to fool the inside temp as ICEheaterstop is doing...

Have you or Anko seen any can messages from the A/C unit, how does it command the ICE to start? Would be perfect if that could be filtered out. Then you could have A/C set to +22C or whatever and electric heater heating at 100%, without ICE starting..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:09 am 

There is PHEV FB page, where somebody has posted how he added a 2000 Ohm resistor to the temp sensor in the front grill of the car, and that seemed to do the trick for him.

Try: https://www.facebook.com/groups/outland ... pcIlwifSJ9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:09 am 

anko wrote:
There is PHEV FB page, where somebody has posted how he added a 2000 Ohm resistor to the temp sensor in the front grill of the car, and that seemed to do the trick for him.

Try: https://www.facebook.com/groups/outland ... pcIlwifSJ9

That's a private group and I don't even have a Facebook account. :) Can you maybe screenshot or copypaste the relevant bits?

But that sounds promising! But doesn't it also make the dashboard thermometer show wrong readings?

I assume he's using ICEHeaterStop too?

ICEHeaterStop is fine for >+5C ambient temperatures, but doesn't work if it's colder than that. The colder it gets, the lower is the maximum aircon setting that can be used reliably. If interior is preheated to really hot (over 20C?) ICE does not start, but +13C faked by ICEHeaterStop certainly is not high enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:49 am 

Here's the ambient temperature sensor's resistance curve.

I think I'll try with some 2000-3000ohm resistor in place of the original sensor.. Great if that fixes it. :)

If i get any progress I'll start another thread, no one will find these from here. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next