My way of getting 4G remote control via the app

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, just making my first post to help all that are not so satisfied with the range of the WiFi compared to 4G :)

First of all, this is something that can be achieved in different ways, this is just my way of solving it :-O

List of hardware/software:
1: Android spare phone for the car (an iPhone won't work with TeamViewer, see below)
2: USB Charge cable for the phone (that will be inside the car all the time)
3: Mitsubishi App on the phone (use the one appropriate for your car) https://play.google.com/store/search?q=phev
4: Speedify (this will split the traffic so that even when connected to the WiFi of the car, the 4G connection will work) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedify.speedifyandroid
5: TeamViewer Host (This is installed in the car phone and will allow remote connection of the phone in the car, if 4G is present) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.host.market
6: TeamViewer (for your ordinary cellphone, can be iPhone or a laptop as well!) https://www.teamviewer.com/

First, for a simple use without a spare phone, Speedify can be installed to solve the "no-internet" problem when connected to the WiFi of the car.

So, quickguide here:

Use a spare Android phone without too much installed to avoid heavy drain of the battery, and install 3, 4 and 5
This should be a quite simple process, but do read the instructions :)
Install TeamViewer on your ordinary phone and try to connect to the Android phone before using it in the car, and then activate Speedify, repeat, and the install it in the car (with a Powerbank as well if needed)

Good luck, and please ask questions and I will update this guide if needed. Cheers!

96g0RZ6nY3GqaNE23

6eAOHoa9qNQ2sweu2

Frankly that's got me absolutely confused!!

I think a better option is to forget the app altogether and not have the stress of trying to get it to work. :lol:

Tipper said:
I think a better option is to forget the app altogether and not have the stress of trying to get it to work. :lol:
That may be the best option for you, Tipper, but I am pretty sure others will value this spontaneous contribution by our new member ;) .

BTW: Personally I use a somewhat different solution involving Tasker and profiles for responding to missed calls. Doesn't introduce communication costs but is limited to starting pre-heating.

Can you share some more info on the Tasker method? I use Tasker to automate a couple of things on my phone, didn't occur to me it might be possible to use it to communicate with the car.

Steve

It can't communicate with the car. But it can:
- enable WiFi
- start the app
- click on specific screen positions once or twice to control the app
- close the app
- disable WiFi

All of that in response to a missed phone call

I too am having problems in connecting my PHEV using an i-phone (6). Mitsubishi tech support were not useful even when I compared the PHEV with a Nissan leaf where communication is quite easy. the Tasker solution looks promising but we are all Apple in this household. Anyone have any ideas as to how we can eg turn on the heating on a cold morning without having to brave the cold walk down the drive?

MRGL said:
I too am having problems in connecting my PHEV using an i-phone (6). Mitsubishi tech support were not useful even when I compared the PHEV with a Nissan leaf where communication is quite easy. the Tasker solution looks promising but we are all Apple in this household. Anyone have any ideas as to how we can eg turn on the heating on a cold morning without having to brave the cold walk down the drive?

As both workarounds need an extra phone that lays in the car permanently, I do not see an issue if this "just-for-the-car-dummy" needs to be from Apple. The only job for this phone is to run the Tasker (or a similar App in the Apple World...). Any old an cheap thing should do it?

This sounds like a great workaround for not being able to use the remote control app over cellular! Do the USB ports in the car provide power to the phone when the car’s not powered on?

I just tried this great tip, but unfortunately TeamViewer doesn’t seem to allow remote control of a Pixel 2 phone. I can see the screen, but can’t control anything, which kinda defeats the purpose. I guess I’ll need to find a different app that can do remote control or get a different phone.

generaltso said:
I just tried this great tip, but unfortunately TeamViewer doesn’t seem to allow remote control of a Pixel 2 phone. I can see the screen, but can’t control anything, which kinda defeats the purpose. I guess I’ll need to find a different app that can do remote control or get a different phone.

Okay, I tried this again with a different phone (Moto Z2 Play). Now I can remotely control the phone, which is great. But, when the screen goes to sleep, and I connect to it over Teamviewer, nothing I do remotely seems to be able to wake up the screen. If I hit a physical button on the phone to wake it up, I can see the screen come alive over Teamviewer and then I can control it. But without being able to wake it up remotely, this really isn't going to work for it's intended purpose.

Before I try a bunch more phones, can anyone who currently has this working tell me exactly what Android phone they're using successfully? Thanks!

therealrunestone said:
Hi all, just making my first post to help all that are not so satisfied with the range of the WiFi compared to 4G :)

First of all, this is something that can be achieved in different ways, this is just my way of solving it :-O

List of hardware/software:
1: Android spare phone for the car (an iPhone won't work with TeamViewer, see below)
2: USB Charge cable for the phone (that will be inside the car all the time)
3: Mitsubishi App on the phone (use the one appropriate for your car) https://play.google.com/store/search?q=phev
4: Speedify (this will split the traffic so that even when connected to the WiFi of the car, the 4G connection will work) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedify.speedifyandroid
5: TeamViewer Host (This is installed in the car phone and will allow remote connection of the phone in the car, if 4G is present) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.host.market
6: TeamViewer (for your ordinary cellphone, can be iPhone or a laptop as well!) https://www.teamviewer.com/

First, for a simple use without a spare phone, Speedify can be installed to solve the "no-internet" problem when connected to the WiFi of the car.

So, quickguide here:

Use a spare Android phone without too much installed to avoid heavy drain of the battery, and install 3, 4 and 5
This should be a quite simple process, but do read the instructions :)
Install TeamViewer on your ordinary phone and try to connect to the Android phone before using it in the car, and then activate Speedify, repeat, and the install it in the car (with a Powerbank as well if needed)

Good luck, and please ask questions and I will update this guide if needed. Cheers!

96g0RZ6nY3GqaNE23

6eAOHoa9qNQ2sweu2

Now that’s good thinking dude!! ;)

In case someone is searching for this topic, I am posting an updated, simplified procedure:

When using a Samsung Galaxy phone as a secondary phone, it has natively in the settings under Data Usage, the option "Mobile data only apps". This means Speedify (with its 2GB limitation) is not needed anymore and instead the Team viewer Host app can be set to use mobile data only. I am using Galaxy A20e, but any other can be used for this purpose. So in this way, Host app is using mobile data to conect with remote phone, while Remote Ctrl app will use car wireless access point to control the car.

Another point to consider is: the WiFi should always be kept disabled, and enabled only before using Remote Ctrl, and then disabled again. Otherwise Samsung phone will continuously try to use car Wifi for internet access and drain the battery. If WiFi is disabled all the time, on this Galaxy A20e phone with quite small battery, I am getting over 5 days standby, so it does not need any other power bank and so on.

Thank You!!!. I was so disappointed in this app but you have given me a way to use it to warm it up from a distance (in MN this is a must, not a nice to have). Got this working with a Samsung 20 and a Samsung S5. Took some work to get the S5 to connect to the app.

Back