Incredible computer error in PHEV MMCS!! Never drive here ..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johanf

We had driven nearly three years and 56000 km in our Mitsubishi PHEV, happily until two days ago, without any faults of the car when an unbelievable error happened I cannot resist to let you know!
I had just programmed a 93 km long route in the GPS and the GPS had started giving directions when the system unexpectedly shut down and rebooted. The startup was normal, showing the language page and was about to show the GPS map when it suddenly decided to reboot again and again showing the Mitsubishi logo some seconds instead of the map.
We couldn't force it out of this behaviour and the Rockwell Fosgate radio and navigational display was now totally useless, rebooting once every minute or so.

Today I called our Mitsubishi service center. The kind lady had no idea what could cause this rebooting but spoke loudly about our problem in the phone.
Suddenly a service technician passed the lady and happened to listen to our conversation. He said: "Did you drive to Brösarp?" (a village in the southern part of Sweden).
I was astonished!! (I first thought: are Mitsubishi tracking where we are driving!?!) I had entered a route passing right through Brösarp!
The technician continued: If you pass Brösarp, it will kill the Mitsubishi MMCS!
I thought it was maybe the big radar station close to Brösarp, which perhaps could kill the computer program in the system! But I was still at least 50 km from it so it sounded impossible. I was still on a road I have driven many times before. I replied:
"I was actually on my way to pass Brösarp, but still far from there!"
He explained: If you enter a route taking you through Brösarp, it will kill the system! It is a known bug in the software!
I asked if there are other places in Sweden we cannot drive to. No, Brösarp is the only one!

I have to drive to the Mitsubishi service center to get it updated with a new software release.
So, stay away from the very beautiful Brösarp where you still can go by a steam train!
Or plan a route to Brösarp if you like to test this bug and get the new software!!
Are there maybe such prohibited places in other countries too?

(It shouldn't be due to we have two dots above "o". Here are many other names with the typical Swedish characters åäöÅÄÖ.)
Hopefully the programmer doesn't code aircraft displays. What about killing all screens when passing a special point in an aircraft? :roll:

johanf said:
I have to drive to the Mitsubishi service center to get it updated with a new software release.
So, stay away from the very beautiful Brösarp where you still can go by a steam train!
Or plan a route to Brösarp if you like to test this bug and get the new software!!
Are there maybe such prohibited places in other countries too?

I have had a similar issue here in Australia. I think its simply due to poor MMCS software crashing due to specific data in the map.

How spooky! Will have to try to find such a location in the UK. Fylingdales? Westward Ho!? How about Germany? I once went to the "wrong" Munster through umlaut omission. Perhaps that would scramble its data too. I have thought about killing my MMCS system anyway!

Uptodat said:
How spooky! Will have to try to find such a location in the UK. Fylingdales? Westward Ho!? How about Germany? I once went to the "wrong" Munster through umlaut omission. Perhaps that would scramble its data too. I have thought about killing my MMCS system anyway!

What's at Westward Ho!? Been there many times never had a problem other than it's not as nice as it sounds! :lol:

Harald said:
Strange story...
If you had posted on April 1st instead of January 29th, I hadn't believed it.

Harald, do you dare to enter a route to Brösarp (in Sweden) from Austria? Anyway, the beautiful hills there are much more easy to climb than your´s in Austria!

Don't type in the North Wales town of Rhyl into the MMCS satnav, the car will be fine (although it will probably get nicked or vandalised or both if left for more than a few minutes) it is just a shyte hole to be avoided at all costs :shock: :lol:

johanf said:
Harald, do you dare to enter a route to Brösarp (in Sweden) from Austria? Anyway, the beautiful hills there are much more easy to climb than your´s in Austria!
Of course I dare, if you give me a car where I can do that.
The 2017 model does not have a navigation on board.
Wise strategy people at Mitsubishi decided that the car only gets Navigation via the user's mobile phone.

(I strongly considered not to buy such a solution but putting everything on a scale, I decided to buy the car nevertheless. This doesn't mean that I am happy about...)

Harald said:
Wise strategy people at Mitsubishi decided that the car only gets Navigation via the user's mobile phone.

(I strongly considered not to buy such a solution but putting everything on a scale, I decided to buy the car nevertheless. This doesn't mean that I am happy about...)
My new Ampera E has no satnav. Instead I use Waze via Android Auto. I think it is a brilliant decision by Opel (uh ... Peugeot, uh .... GM) . No more outdated maps, no more EURO 150,- to get the system updated with slightly less outdated maps. I love it.

After all the bitching and bashing that has been going on regarding MMCS (on the Dutch forum, there was no end to it), I am bit surprised to hear people (not just here) have issues with the car not having built in satnav.

anko said:
My new Ampera E has no satnav. Instead I use Waze via Android Auto. I think it is a brilliant decision by Opel (uh ... Peugeot, uh .... GM) . No more outdated maps, no more EURO 150,- to get the system updated with slightly less outdated maps. I love it.

After all the bitching and bashing that has been going on regarding MMCS (on the Dutch forum, there was no end to it), I am bit surprised to hear people (not just here) have issues with the car not having built in satnav.

When considering data security, I am not surprised when anybody prefers not to use Android Auto.

I just would like to inform you that Mitsubishi updated our MMCS so it is now working again and not rebooting over and over.

Unfortunately all EV statistics were lost in the process before I had a thought to write it down.

The update is called "Brösarp" or maybe "Brosarp" by Mitsubishi Japan so it seems to be a very local problem.

The map was obviously not updated. The map cannot not show the way to our Mitsubishi service station which moved several years ago ...

Back