British Gas Charging Point -

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gacampbell

I arranged a date for the installation of my charging point via British Gas for 30 June and nobody either called or turned up! I have now re arranged the installation date for Aug 8. Has this happened to anyone else or have all other installations been successful?

I am also going to get a point installed at another family members house. Am I right in thinking there is now a charge for the installation? Or is it possible to still get it installed for free?

I oredered mine 2 weeks ago... I then got a call validating I'm eligible for one

ev vehicle - yes on order
Driveway - yep
Type of house - not a flat

Not asked for any proof and they have booked. I asked for an email to confirm which I have....

Think the susididy is ending soon so Might be closed to New applications on another thread someone recomeneded park at my house or something similar while seem to be quicker but use the same company for installation etc

Had mine installed from British Gas on Wednesday booked about 6 weeks ago. They turned up on time and did a neat job.

The engineer from Chargemaster who did ours said that they were expecting the rules to be tightened up and possibly the subsidy to be reduced.

If anyone is thinking of giving Chargemaster a go, they sent me a form that offers a £20 introduction fee for any introductions. If anyone want to let me 'introduce' them, I'll happily split the £20 with you. If the message board allows me to post an email address, you can get me on [email protected]

Got mine booked for mid August. Have to prove that I own/have access to an EV to get it for free. Think previously you could just get one installed regardless.

TallPaul said:
Got mine booked for mid August. Have to prove that I own/have access to an EV to get it for free. Think previously you could just get one installed regardless.

You certainly could

I filled in an online form about 2 weeks ago the day before the website started showing a charge. No response since until I called them yesterday. Appointment booked there and then for another 2 weeks time and said I could upgrade to the 30 amp charger for £99 so still getting the base unit for free.

Odered Charge point online from BG three weeks ago. Just received email to say I will need to re-apply later in August as no one available from BG gas in my area (Surbiton Surrey) to fit. Also there will be a charge of £115.00. Also applied to Chargemaster but still waiting promised call back. The whole thing is becoming a farce. Do I cancel my order of Mitsubishi phev and go back to diesel. the idea is becoming tempting. Anybody else had the same problem?

pjd - don't do that! There are loads of other companies who will install and the price is nothing compared to the savings you'll make (on short journeys)
H

Hypermiler - gave up on BG. Phoned Charge Master direct. They couldn't have been more helpful. I just need to update fuse board and they will fit this month August. Fingers crossed. Online contacts seem a waste of time. Will pick up phone in future.

pjd said:
Hypermiler - gave up on BG. Phoned Charge Master direct. They couldn't have been more helpful. I just need to update fuse board and they will fit this month August. Fingers crossed. Online contacts seem a waste of time. Will pick up phone in future.

I was also very unimpressed with BG - but if you think about it, fitting charging points is a very minor part of their business whereas it is pretty much all that Chargemaster do!

Had mine installed on Wednesday from Chargemaster. Originally I filled the online application in and they called me back the
next day and wanted to fit it the day after, unfortunately I was out so had to wait 2 weeks before they could come. I upgraded
to the larger unit for £95. The installer said that 75% of the unit is paid by OLEV and the customer should pay 25% but
Chargemaster pick up the full cost because they still make money from it.

8vpxra.jpg

Do I cancel my order of Mitsubishi phev and go back to diesel. the idea is becoming tempting. Anybody else had the same problem?
For the benefit of other prospective buyers reading this thread who are new to the world of EV cars and might be put off as pjd was, please, please, please remember: a charge point is in no way essential - I ran mine for a month without one, charging from an old-fashioned external power socket.

In fact if you only charge overnight a charge point will bring no benefit whatsoever. It's only when you need to charge a bit faster (ie. with less than 5 hours between journeys during the daytime) that a dedicated charging point comes into it's own.

BG also failed to turn up on my first installation date with no explanation. I sent them a formal complaint, which was initially handled appallingly. I wrote again, telling them that I intended to keep a record of how they handled the complaint. It might have been coincidence, but from then on they couldn't be more helpful. On the second installation date I got a phone call to say that the engineer had called in sick, but that the local manager would come down (from some distance away) and carry out the installation. Two people turned up (one a new guy under instruction) and between them they did an excellent job. Sometimes it pays to be polite, but make it clear that one mistake is all they get for free!!

I tried to get a pod point installed as a local guy I know is installing them and it seemed a good way to support local trades. He's fine but has heard nothing from pod point and neither have I! I then applied to BG and heard nothing, then phoned them and was told that there would be a charge so I canned that idea.
I had almost given up and decided I would put a 13amp outdoor socket on the garage but at the last minute decided to fill in a form on charge masters website last night. Today I had an email from them explaining the scheme and the changes and then two telephone calls to leave a message to arrange to speak again tomorrow (driving when they called and no hands free as I'm in a borrowed car for now). The difference in service is astounding though I did wonder if me having the same name as their CEO was noticed. :D

Back