Buy your own MUT 3?? Thoughts?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steeeeve

I was contemplating whether buying myself a mut 3 from ebay would be a worthwhile investment.
I have found 'MUT3 Scanner for Mitsubishi V2016.9 Diagnostic Tool For Cars' on ebay for less than £400 on ebay, I'm wondering if this for example would be able to carry out a Bmu reset and Tpms sensor coding as a starting point? I'm planning on owning my 2014 PHEV for a good few years so maybe a worthwhile investment. Anyone else done this or anybody got any good advice as to whether it is a worthwhile investment?

Where can you find the software for make BMU settings and smoorhing?

500 usd for a cable that has components worth 5usd sounds a waste to me, but if you can change BMU parameters you could extend the usage of your PHEV battery

I believe the MUT 3 software comes with it, whether it is legit or copied... Ask no questions... I have however found the mut3 software available elsewhere if required.. Agreed its quite a bit of money to risk just doing it, which is why I was hoping for feedback from someone else that had done the same lol

Steeeeve said:
I believe the MUT 3 software comes with it, whether it is legit or copied... Ask no questions... I have however found the mut3 software available elsewhere if required.. Agreed its quite a bit of money to risk just doing it, which is why I was hoping for feedback from someone else that had done the same lol

500usd with software make some sense ... still even having the software, I'm not sure if all maintenance operations can be done without having proper instructions .. but maybe it is all included in the package

Definitely via MUT3 is possible to force the SOH of the main battery back to 100% .. and enjoy long EV range like on day one .. only consequence is to discharge the main battery below the "30%" .. which is not a real 30% but a higher level in reality (Mitsubishi use a big buffer) .. so not a problem on damaging the battery

In case you will go for this cable .. let us know what you can do with it

I was thinking the same and asked around in the forum who might be interested in chipping in so we can share the price of the MUT and a laptop. Sending it around to everyone contributed is an easy thing and we could sort out a lot of issues with the car ourselves...
I watched these videos here on YT in regards to the MUT III and the 'pitfalls' it has. So, eventually it might not be that easy though. I personally wouldn't mind and take the challenge...

Has anybody bought the MUT in the end? How easy it is to use? Are all otpions for the PHEVS available in thew software?

Hi, I have been following facebook posts etc but thought I would document this here for easier reference in the future.

After discovering and researching "etacs decoder" (https://etacsdecoder.com/forum/) I bought a Toyota Mini-VCI cable (J2534) for ~$40NZD.
etacs decoder was created and is maintained and monitored by a smart Russian chap, and there's JUST enough info on the website and forums to figure it all out. Kind of.

I paid $15USD for a weeks unlimited reads/writes subscription for etacs decoder and proceeded to have a play.

First up I tried a win10 64bit pc, didn't work so well. Then I tried an older slow laptop on win7 32bit, PC was too slow (Nvidia ION CPU). Then I tried a medium speed (core i5) laptop with a fresh install of windows 10 32bit and got some progress.
Note: you need to disable all AV etc here, the software gets identified as virus by even the internal win10 tools. I was using a clean fresh install with no personal data, and had no problems, but had nothing to lose. Up to you if you want to accept the risk.

I firstly installed the drivers that came with my cable, then the drivers on the etacs decoder website, then manually changed the settings as per instructions on etacs forum.
Next I connected u the cable and ran the etacs decoder software, managed to get it to connect to the car and update a minor setting in the ECU, which I changed back later on.
Right-o, now I went and found the MUT3_SE software (get searching, it's out there), installed it (takes a while to run the installer), reboot etc.
Then I installed the "MUTConfig" software off the etacs website, checked the cable, the MUT3 software then teh account, hit save.
Finally launch the MUT3_SE software itself, took a wee bit of faffing around here to get a good connection, from memory the best connection where it read the VIN etc was in accessory mode.
FYI I am running everything with admin rights etc.

From here I have been able to use the guides found elsewhere to reset and re-write the BMU, and run a couple of DBCAM's over night, I'm not convinced that I have successfully initiated the cell smoothing process, however I will keep having a play around.

I have NOT achieved a magic fix to my declining SoH so far, I get 40Ah and 105% (2013 model) after a reset and before a DBCAM, but back to below 80% after DBCAM.

Please note that you DO require an unlimited etacs decoder account (you pay for different periods of time, eg $15USD for one week) to present the cheap cable as a full MUT3 unit to the MUT3_SE software. I haven't tested it without yet.

Needless to say - if you want to try this out, all at your own risk etc. Good luck!

Hi,
I guess I'm jumping a bit late to this thread as I've been thinking about getting a MUT 3 myself.
I have an 2014 model whose drive battery was replaced in March this year.
It is clear for me that the BMS simply degrades the battery by software, not by actually measuring the battery capacity.
When the battery gets installed, part of the process involves entering the manufacture date of the new battery.
I believe this date is used to calculate degradation.
If this date could be altered I guess the degradation process could be reduced.
Any ideas on this?

Back