FrancoPHEV
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 am

Hi all. I have a 2014 PHEV with intégral roof rails. For about 6 weeks I have noticed an intermittent vibration that I think is coming from the front trim of the roof rails. Usually only at 70 km/h or higher and with a headwind. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for a cure? Any tips on how to remove and refit the trim? Many thanks.
Dec 14 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H Atlantic Grey.
08-15 Subaru Forester XEN
06-08 Mitsubishi Grandis
05-08 Mitsubishi Shogun Auto
04-05 Mitsibishi Shogun Manual
03-04 Mitsubishi Shogun Manual
96-03 SsangYong Musso Manual
89-96 Subaru Estate. Manual

Linxray
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 pm
Location: NE Lincolnshire UK

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 pm

2015 model with the same noises. Haven’t been able to pin down where the noise is coming from but will look into the roof rails.

Thanks, Ray

Linxray
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 pm
Location: NE Lincolnshire UK

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.

FrancoPHEV
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Linxray wrote:Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.
Agreed that this is definitely the source of the vibration. I also thought about silicone, instead I decided to put a 2cm strip of electricians’ tape horizontally across the gap/joint at the front edge on both rails just before my latest 3 hour journey. Result - there was not a hint of the vibration. As this “fix” is relatively discreet, I will leave it at that for now but, when I can, I will ask my service centre whether there is a proper solution.
Dec 14 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H Atlantic Grey.
08-15 Subaru Forester XEN
06-08 Mitsubishi Grandis
05-08 Mitsubishi Shogun Auto
04-05 Mitsibishi Shogun Manual
03-04 Mitsubishi Shogun Manual
96-03 SsangYong Musso Manual
89-96 Subaru Estate. Manual

NightPHEVer
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:43 am
Location: Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear light lenses.

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:33 am

I've also on occasion (not very often) noticed a curious vibration-type sound recently, only when I'm at highish altitude (Scotland) and there's a bit of a crosswind. I thought it might be a curious vibration of the aerial. I've just identified the bits of rubber/plastic you refer to on the roofrails, hadn't noticed them before. I'll see if securing them helps next time it happens.

I once removed the entire dashboard from a Sierra XR4i trying to identify and cure a vibration noise. Eventually discovered it was a bit of plastic trim on the outside of the windscreen surround. Cured it in a few seconds with a bit of rubber! Also spent around five years trying to identify a squeak on my Smart Fortwo (including replacing half of the front suspension) - it was a rubber radiator hose rubbing against something inside the front end of the car, cured it with a cable tie.

greendwarf
Posts: 2149
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 am

NightPHEVer wrote:I've also on occasion (not very often) noticed a curious vibration-type sound recently, only when I'm at highish altitude (Scotland) and there's a bit of a crosswind. I thought it might be a curious vibration of the aerial. I've just identified the bits of rubber/plastic you refer to on the roofrails, hadn't noticed them before. I'll see if securing them helps next time it happens.

I once removed the entire dashboard from a Sierra XR4i trying to identify and cure a vibration noise. Eventually discovered it was a bit of plastic trim on the outside of the windscreen surround. Cured it in a few seconds with a bit of rubber! Also spent around five years trying to identify a squeak on my Smart Fortwo (including replacing half of the front suspension) - it was a rubber radiator hose rubbing against something inside the front end of the car, cured it with a cable tie.
This is why I always drive with the radio up loud - if its serious it will fall off eventually, so I'd rather not worry in the meantime :lol:

StevieB
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:03 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 am

FrancoPHEV wrote:
Linxray wrote:Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.
Agreed that this is definitely the source of the vibration. I also thought about silicone, instead I decided to put a 2cm strip of electricians’ tape horizontally across the gap/joint at the front edge on both rails just before my latest 3 hour journey. Result - there was not a hint of the vibration. As this “fix” is relatively discreet, I will leave it at that for now but, when I can, I will ask my service centre whether there is a proper solution.
Will try this - I to have the same issue. Been thinking it was my roof bars, but must not be. The area mentioned seems about the right place too.

Got to be said - poor development process for this to go unmissed.
---------------------
2019 PHEV GX5HS
Ruby Black Pearl

FrancoPHEV
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:59 am

Closing the loop on this one. I was finally back at the dealership yesterday for a service and mentioned this problem to the Techs. They said that it is not uncommon with slightly older PHEVs and that their solution is to stick down the end caps. They have done this for me and I will see if their glue holds as well as my elecricians' tape did for the last 9 months.
Dec 14 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H Atlantic Grey.
08-15 Subaru Forester XEN
06-08 Mitsubishi Grandis
05-08 Mitsubishi Shogun Auto
04-05 Mitsibishi Shogun Manual
03-04 Mitsubishi Shogun Manual
96-03 SsangYong Musso Manual
89-96 Subaru Estate. Manual

Return to “Technical Discussions”