Quirky question about height

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markuk

Hi,

Can anyone who has one of these cars confirm the height of the tailgate lip? In other words the height from the floor to the bottom of the tailgate opening?

I ask because I need to know whether our dog could jump into one :)

markuk said:
Hi,

Can anyone who has one of these cars confirm the height of the tailgate lip? In other words the height from the floor to the bottom of the tailgate opening?

I ask because I need to know whether our dog could jump into one :)

What dog have you got? We've got a jack Russell/staffy cross, and she quite happily gets in the back, with the exception that she puts her paws on the body work first!

I make it 70cms up to the lip, but I park on a steep slope so it might be slightly different on the flat. Fwiw, I wouldn't recommend getting the 'protection pack' which includes a naff bit of plastic on top of the lip, but I suppose if you have a dog it might stop it scratching the paint...

I can't measure it now my demo vehicle has been returned, but my 4 yr old 30 kg labrador had no trouble jumping in or out. I've ordered the protection pack for my car for that very reason (along with the industrial looking dog guard!).

jdsx said:
... Fwiw, I wouldn't recommend getting the 'protection pack' which includes a naff bit of plastic on top of the lip, but I suppose if you have a dog it might stop it scratching the paint...
Ah, thats a pain - I ticked the protection pack box. For £74 (separately), I would have hoped for more than a bit of plastic :(

The blurb on the Mitsubishi website says "Help protect your rear bumper from unwanted damage with this stainless steel bumper protection plate", so if it is plastic, I'm not paying for it.
Kev.

Well IMO the boot liner, mats and mud flaps are worth having, but definitely not the sill and boot protectors. Doesn't look like stainless steel to me...

so if it is plastic, I'm not paying for it.
It's metal alright. But it's still sh*te. Don't waste your money. I've got 2 dogs and this will do absolutely nothing to protect the bumper from their claws.

I have a PhD in aerospace materials; if it's not what it claims to be when it arrives then I'll have some fun! ;) But anyway, the mud flaps and dog mat/boot liner were the main reasons for the additional accessories, and it cost me peanuts as a company car addition, less than an extra pound a month in tax for the protection pack.

A pound a month, hmmm, still not sure it's worth that much! If it weren't for the fact that I'm concerned about damaging the paintwork I'd be taking the tin foil slivers off of mine as they look so cheap.

The Boot 'protector' is the worst of all, with the door cills at least you only see them when the door is open. The boot one offends the eye every time I pass the rear of the vehicle.

maddogsetc said:
so if it is plastic, I'm not paying for it.
It's metal alright. But it's still sh*te. Don't waste your money. I've got 2 dogs and this will do absolutely nothing to protect the bumper from their claws.
I don't know what your dogs are doing, for my dogs it is excellent. However, a plastic adhesive foil will work very well too.

I don't know what your dogs are doing, for my dogs it is excellent. However, a plastic adhesive foil will work very well too.
Well since it only protects a strip about 2 inches wide it is fine if the dogs decide to step on that 2 inch strip. The rest of the bumper has to fend for itself I guess. I find an old towel or blanket draped over the bumper when they get in and out to be far more effective and only slightly less visually offensive.

At some point I will probably purchase a canvas boot liner with a flap for that purpose.

There seem to be a couple of options on ebay for a soft boot liner with a fold out lip. There are also what appear to be more substantial rear bumper protectors for around £45ish ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Loading-Edge-Protection-for-MITSUBISHI-OUTLANDER-III-Year-2012-/111338969843?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19ec51daf3 )

Took this pic a while back when someone else asked about it but never got round to uploading. Not a great pic, but you get the idea:

Here's the door protector too, in case you're interested:

Are those original Mitsubishi? They do not even look like mine...

photo.jpg

Are those original Mitsubishi? They do not even look like mine...
Supposedly yes - it's what they're selling in the UK anyway, and all my options were fitted at Portbury (the docks) so I assume by Mitsubishi UK.

Incidentally, they aren't even offering the front and rear bumper extensions in the UK. Mitsubishi's international markets policies baffle me :roll:

The sill protectors are completely different as well. Longer with "Outlander" engraved in them. I'll get a photograph of one sometime.

Back