What can be done with CarPlay?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twosout

I'm looking to get a MY19 Outlander.
SatNav has been important to me to determine the local speed limit.
Apart from what seems to be a crazy idea of needing to plug in your phone into a socket (none under the central arm rest now), I was disappointed to find that my Android phone was not recognised.
Assuming that a newer phone would do the trick, what should I expect when I have one?
Can you use any (old/new) navigation app, or must it be one of specific list?
I was thinking of using Copilot.

I'm in UK.
I've been told that the car's display becomes an image of what's on the phone, in which case it would seem that you merely need an Android or iPhone and can watch/do anything that's on the phone.
I think that's too simple and there are additional features that integrate some of the steering wheel buttons into the phone function. Also that some phone functions (internet browsing, streaming,...) that may be not allowed.
If the latter, it seems that only selected apps may have the functionality to work with CarPlay.
I assume that CarPlay only works from USB (not BlueTooth), and only the socket in the front console. It's a shame that there is no provision to 'park' a phone (other than dropping it into a cup holder) there. Perhaps it needs to be left out in the open, to pick up voice commands where that feature is available...

I'm also in Uk. Have just changed from a 65 reg PHEV to the latest 68 reg one. Am not impressed. My android phone (Wiley Fox) which is brand new with the latest Android operating system does not work with Android Auto. I have now checked the Mitsubishi site to discover that there are only a few particular phones which do connect. I think sales staff should be briefed to discuss this issue with potential purchasers. Also in the UK mobile phone and data reception is patchy. I live in a rural area and large parts of it have no data service therefore the system does not work. I think until the Android app is proven to work everywhere the alternative of the old system should be available.

Disappointing, indeed!
I'm expecting a new car very soon,
now wondering what it takes to claim something "unfit for purpose".
I thought the move to CarPlay/AndroidAuto was supposed to be an improvement?

I just tried Android Auto for the first time ... just got a data plan on my phone. A few notes:

- I've got 2018 here in Canada. No builtin nav.
- I still have an older standalone Garmin nav tablet.
- Moto G5 phone (a few years old).
- No problem connecting. Just plug in, wait for the AA screen on the phone and hit the AA app button on the Mitsu. screen.
- Want to navigate? Just hit the mic button on the screen and tell google where you want to go. Magic ensues. The system for nav is really quite nice. I have no idea how much data it consumes.
- If you preload the map data it will store in the phone saving mobile data.
- If you preload, the nav will continue when you have sketchy cell data. You might lose voice instructions at that point, but nav continues.
- I'm keeping the garmin tablet just in case :)

Hope this helps.

Lucky you. My and other non enabled phone's are unable to connect to do anything but charge the phone . The car shows no phone connected.

Yes I have tried several different cables including two that connect my phone's data transfer to my PC and laptop successfully but thanks for the thought.

:?: On my 2018 Outlander i use a really cheap Chinese Phone that's never listed anywhere.
Seems i am the one with the lucky hand.

Back