Help for deciding on version & other bits.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWolfy

Great forum and really helpful people. I hope you can help with these pre-order queries as dealer not the best. Many thanks in advance.

Q. Does the electric heater on the G4 work to heat the car when driving rather than the ICE on the G3? Basically, will it be fully electric on the 4 as opposed to having to have the ICE on to heat the car on the G3?

Q. Do the doors auto lock when the car moves off (probably after 5-10mph)?

Q. If I go for the G3, if the engine is running and the passenger pops out to open the boot, is there an internal unlock or is the boot always open? Would I have to use the key or stop the engine for the boot to unlock? I know their is a button for the auto boot on the G4.

Q. Can the app on the G4 be used away from your home wifi network? I guess it must always by wifi?

Q. Finally, has anyone thought of using the external 16amp charger as an extension lead for 13amp devices using a 16amp to 13 amp converter? Don't know if this is possible, but would be useful for plugging in the old mowing machine for the front lawn!

Cheers,
David

1. it is a combined system. The ICE will supply heat as well as the electric heater. E.g. it will run to help the car heat up when starting from cold without using preheat,
2. No. There is a central locking button on the door.
3. You can open the boot from the outside button. The internal button on the dash will only operate when the car is switched off.
4. The WiFi is temperamental , but does work. You operate it from your iPhone/Android, not from other networks.

I would strongly advise you to get a version with the MMCS. It is not without its faults, but it allows you to adjust all functions of the car by menu instead of key button-press or dealer visit.

Thanks for for getting back so quickly.

Q1. So the Ice will always be used to heat the car regardless of g3 or g4?

Q3. So someone could theoretically open the boot at traffic lights, for example, as the boot is not locked unless I manually engage the central locking?

Q4. So the app works regardless of wifi so I could use with my standard GSM?

Thanks for the advice on going for the G4.

DavidWolfy said:
Thanks for for getting back so quickly.

Q1. So the Ice will always be used to heat the car regardless of g3 or g4?

Q3. So someone could theoretically open the boot at traffic lights, for example, as the boot is not locked unless I manually engage the central locking?

Q4. So the app works regardless of wifi so I could use with my standard GSM?

Thanks for the advice on going for the G4.

If I may chime in here, I'll answer what I can. If you're plugged in, it will use the electric heater, if you aren't it will combine the ICE with the electric heater at it's most efficient.

I tried this just yesterday (one of my colleagues wanted to get in the boot before he got in the car) and he couldn't open it. I believe it had something to do with the key being near the door. It did a lot of beeping, but didn't open until I got near it.

The car IS the network, you join it as you would any others. The problem is your phone keeps looking for an internet signal as it thinks it's joined a 'connected' network. It's actually quite annoying, because although I'm getting messages, if I open an app, I need to turn off the wifi off my phone to get any internet. That is also a problem, because I forget to switch it back on when I get home.

Great, thanks for the helpful reply.

The heater matter sounds fine and makes sense.

The boot sounds like it might be a pain. I'd be interested in reading what G3 vs G4 owners write. I can think of many occasions where the wife or I may 'nip out' from the passenger seat to get something from the boot and without the key.

A few threads seem to be frustrated by the app. One to consider when finally signing for either the G3 or G4.

Cheers.

I neve found the boot any trouble. It gets used a lot, as my dogs travel in there all the time.I feel that this is a concern that will prove to be unfounded in actual use.

You can choose the options for keyless entry. I have it set to open when the key is within. 70 cm. however, when the car is unlocked already, this obviously does not apply.
There is an "open boot" button on the key.Double push. You have to open the car first (also a button on the key of course, or by standing close) to open the boot. .
If the car is locked it will signal the operating error by a series of beeps.

In my case the car has its own dedicated phone. Other phones are instructed to "forget this network"

Hi there
To be honest, we have the 4h and have connected to the app, flashed the headlights for fun etc but that's all. Unless we want to time it to heat in winter, which we might do, the app isn't that important in my opinion. There are other big differences between the 3 and 4 that are far more important - the MMCS and all that offers (some things better than others!), the sunroof, leather seats, electric seats. Just don't get too hung up about the app when making the decision.
Cheers
H

Thanks H,

I'm to-ing & fro-ing between the 3 & 4. The 4 will cost me around £45-50 more per month so am weighing up the 'perks' of the extras.

Thanks for your advice.

D

Hi,
Coming from a Plug-in Prius that didn't have an electric heater (or pre-heat option) I can tell you that I absolutely HATED running the engine when I had a full battery just for heat. That alone, was enough to make me get the model with an electric heater.
Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark.

I believe the engine has to run anyway even with the electric heater. It only uses per electric if it's plugged in on pre heat while charging.

Still tempting to have a pre heat though!

D

DavidWolfy said:
Thanks Mark.

I believe the engine has to run anyway even with the electric heater. It only uses per electric if it's plugged in on pre heat while charging.

D

I'm pretty sure that isn't true - but the electric heater will draw heavily on the battery and the time till the engine comes on will be a lot less

maby said:
DavidWolfy said:
Thanks Mark.

D

I'm pretty sure that isn't true - but the electric heater will draw heavily on the battery and the time till the engine comes on will be a lot less

Hi,

I agree with Maby. Although I haven't had need to use the electric heater yet, I understand that when the weather is cold, but not too cold, the electric heater alone is used to heat the car. I know it will reduce the electric range, probably more than the A/C does, but it will be nice to have the choice of sacrificing some EV range for heat especially when I am only doing short journeys anyway and have the range to give up.

As mentioned, the preheat may mean you can complete a shortish commute with acceptable comfort without running the heater once underway at all. That sounds good to me :)

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi

Had a G3 for 2 weeks now, don't really miss the extras on the higher models, I put the heat up the other day with the "ready" light showing, - engine started and within 2 to 3 mins very hot air coming from vents. Hope this helps you decide.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Yes, the heating isn't really great shakes for me. The options I'm tempted by are the camera for reversing as I read the sensors aren't overly accurate (but I guess you can give first hand info on that), the auto boot so I can open it from within the car and the DAB for clear 5Live/5 live extra (a bit of Test Match Special!).

Cheers,
David

Back