LED dipped beam level

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHEV2018

Hello,

I have a 2017 PHEV with LED dipped beam and halogen main beam.

I understand the LED dipped beam has an auto adjusting range level, however this is just far too high, I can be driving on a flat road and oncoming cars frequently flash me as they think I either have the main beam on or they think the dipped beam is misaligned.

Is there a way to lower the LED dipped beam angle either through software, or by mechanical adjustment of the headlamp unit as a whole?

I haven't gone back to Mitsubishi yet, I'm interested in the forum opinions.

Thanks for reading
Best regards

Have you tried the 'Garage Door' test. If you park on level ground about 2m in front of a wall (or garage door) you should get a flat ish line of light roughly level with the top of your lights. If you do, the other cars may well be flashing you simply because your lights are so bright. If, however, the line of light is higher than your lights, or there is a spike towards your off side, then a visit to your dealer may be needed. Afterall, the car is under warranty, so remedial work like this should be FOC.

Same issue on my 2018 with LEDs, they are just set too high.
Not like any other car i`ve had or got now.

Others cars keeps flashing me, unless im going downhill or very flat road.
Just the smallest climb and everyone gets blinded - and yes they are VERY bright.

Was like this from factory, might have to visit the dealer soon.

I had exactly the same issue on my 2014 GX4H. Asked the dealer to check and fix it on my service last year. I havent been flashed since.

PHEV2018 said:
Hello,

I understand the LED dipped beam has an auto adjusting range level, however this is just far too high, I can be driving on a flat road and oncoming cars frequently flash me as they think I either have the main beam on or they think the dipped beam is misaligned.

Is there a way to lower the LED dipped beam angle either through software, or by mechanical adjustment of the headlamp unit as a whole?

Thanks for reading
Best regards
Or they are simply not used to the brightness of LED lights.
It is interesting to note that most if not all "flashing" complaints on the forum come from the UK.

jaapv said:
PHEV2018 said:
Hello,

Thanks for reading
Best regards
Or they are simply not used to the brightness of LED lights.
It is interesting to note that most if not all "flashing" complaints on the forum come from the UK.

I think it is less a question of the brightness and more a question of the width of the beam. The wide beam dipped HID lights are relatively uncommon here and most dipped beams are angled to the left - drivers in oncoming vehicles seeing a beam pattern which spans the road simply assume that it is main beam.

Cant say yet on the LEDs on the Outlander (dont have my 4hs yet, but I one lent overnight and agree the lights probably a touch too high), but on my VW Bora that had factory fit HIDs, whilst they had the levelling system, they did still have adjustment screws. If you think about it, the sensors built in to the suspension are potentiometers, and just send a reading back to the controller, they dont know if its level or not, the controller does.

I would say you can adjust them a bit, however in VWs you had to have a programming tool such as VAGCOM to put the HID controller in to calibration mode. I would think you would have to do something similar.

I think I have the same on mine but never get flashed as far as I can remember, so yours could be a bit high. No harm getting them checked.

I think a lot of the "flashers" are just oversensitive and not understanding about road camber etc. I am frequently dazzled by oncoming traffic at junctions where they cross the up and down camber of the other road. BUT I also get flashed for driving on dipped in the Midlands, on sidelights in London and when I use the foglamps in back streets!

greendwarf said:
I think a lot of the "flashers" are just oversensitive and not understanding about road camber etc. I am frequently dazzled by oncoming traffic at junctions where they cross the up and down camber of the other road. BUT I also get flashed for driving on dipped in the Midlands, on sidelights in London and when I use the foglamps in back streets!

There is probably some truth in that, but I think that the wide beam of the HID lights is also not particularly friendly to oncoming drivers. With conventional lights that dip to the left (at least round here), the impact of camber and undulations of the road surface is a lot less. My dipped beam seems to be adjusted correctly - if I do the garage door test, the top of the beam cuts off more or less at the level of my bonnet. But driving on the approach to our house with a few undulations in the road results in my lights clearly illuminating the houses up to the first floor on occasion - any oncoming driver is going to get the full force of the beam straight into their eyes. If the car had conventional lights, the beam height would be similar, but it would be directed away from oncoming traffic.

Back