PHEV losing drive unexpectedly

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I was wondering if PHEV drivers had their car lose drive on the road. I have just experienced this. The car had 50% indicated drive battery with 80% petrol. The PHEV was operating in SAVE mode. Did not have to power down. Just Re engaged the Drive with the joystick. NO, the joystick OR the power button were not used to stop drive, and the dash did not show any drive positions engaged. I was driving in traffic, so I did not have time to get a photograph. Maybe the OBD will have a record.

As a note of interest, later in the drive, the windscreen wipers operated on their own. Dry weather and no mist. Wipers operated a total of 5 times, about 3-5 minutes apart. Weird stuff. Would have failed the driving test if the wipers operated without it raining.

1 you disengaged drive with your knee. Happened to me a couple of times before I figured it out.
2 Move the windscreen wiper switch off "auto". Dust can activate the function as well as rain.

You didn't have a door not properly closed, did you? My Prius will drop into neutral if a door is opened while moving. I did it once accidentally and wondered what was happening!

No and No.

I don't quite know what you would be doing to get a knee anywhere near the drive joystick.

The car was driving on a blacktop tarmac highway. No dust. Auto stuff seems to have a mind of its own. Had the wipers stop for a bit when the headlights were turned on, at another time. My PHEV seems to be unique in a bad way.

I suspect that there is something wrong with a wiring loom in the car. Intermittent faults are annoying and of possible safety concern now. I hope the airbags are on a different sub system.

Bugs hitting the sensor on the windscreen can trigger the wipers.
Subaru, Mitsubishi and Toyota are least likley to have electrical faults according to statistics based on insurance claims.
Noy saying it couln't happend though.

Back