Tailgate 'Pinch Strip'

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cands2008

Hi All,

I don't think I've seen this mentioned on the forum before, apologies if it has or you already know it, but reading another post about opening the tailgate after using the reversing camera 'red line' while backing up to a charge point reminded me of it.

A useful feature my dealer told me about was a black 'pinch strip' which lies along each side of the tailgate. By touching or pinching this black strip the tailgate closing mechanism is stopped and the tailgate opens. This is a safety mechanism to avoid injury and works quite well. However, the dealer did say that the tailgate lip didn't didn't have this 'pinch strip' but would also open if it hit an obstruction but not as safely.

Hope this is of use to someone, especially if you're in a situation where you need to quickly stop the tailgate closing without trying to locate the button on the key or tailgate. I've not had an auto tailgate before and thought it was a good feature.

Cands2008 said:
Hi All,

I don't think I've seen this mentioned on the forum before, apologies if it has or you already know it, but reading another post about opening the tailgate after using the reversing camera 'red line' while backing up to a charge point reminded me of it.

A useful feature my dealer told me about was a black 'pinch strip' which lies along each side of the tailgate. By touching or pinching this black strip the tailgate closing mechanism is stopped and the tailgate opens. This is a safety mechanism to avoid injury and works quite well. However, the dealer did say that the tailgate lip didn't didn't have this 'pinch strip' but would also open if it hit an obstruction but not as safely.

Hope this is of use to someone, especially if you're in a situation where you need to quickly stop the tailgate closing without trying to locate the button on the key or tailgate. I've not had an auto tailgate before and thought it was a good feature.

Can't say I've seen that strip, and I open the tailgate a lot! I know it stops when there's an obstruction, but I'll have a look for the strip tommorow.

The tailgate will also stop and reverse its movement if it is obstructed.
It is also possible to open and close it manually.

My current car E250 merc estate has a motorised boot with a very handy feature, that you can stop the boot in mid flow by pressing the open/stop button again and then holding the button down until it bleeps, sets a permanent stop for the boot. This is a great feature if you have a common obstruction i.e. low garage roof or park near a tree etc.. that a fully open boot would hit. Pressing and holding down the button again till it bleeps resets it to open fully. Has the PHEV got something similar? not the end of the world if not but would be nice!

Sharky said:
My current car E250 merc estate has a motorised boot with a very handy feature, that you can stop the boot in mid flow by pressing the open/stop button again and then holding the button down until it bleeps, sets a permanent stop for the boot. This is a great feature if you have a common obstruction i.e. low garage roof or park near a tree etc.. that a fully open boot would hit. Pressing and holding down the button again till it bleeps resets it to open fully. Has the PHEV got something similar? not the end of the world if not but would be nice!

If it has I haven't found it yet - and I've opened up the door a fair few times...

If you hit the button when it is moving, it will just beep and reverse the direction. I've never tried holding it, but I will tommorow and report back, unless someone tells you otherwise.

I know this has been asked before, but would someone please post a photo of the pinch strip. I have not found anywhere around the tailgate that affects the operation either. I just keep clear. The manual release button is quire difficult to find and operate. There is a lock button close by and more often the lights flash and locks or unlocks something without operating the tailgate. The button on the dash is easy to find and reliable it seems. I try and keep the remote in my pocket, and the car operation buttons are more accessible.

Try touching the rubber sealing strip on the side of the boot lid. It will instantly reverse.
The boot lid button is easy to locate: exactly under the lower left petal of the Mitsubishi logo.

Thanks jaapv,

yes I have confirmed that the strip on the sides of the tailgate door, do reverse the operation of the automatics for the tailgate.

Have also found that if the open door switch on the tailgate is pressed and the tailgate is not opened in a certain time then the tailgate locks back at a first click, and the button has to be pressed again to allow the tailgate to be opened. Sometimes the tailgate is awkward to open when wet by hand. I had the boot of the car loaded with luggage, and I will have to get used to the limits. Best to test manually. The self locking works well.

Back