Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front and Rear LED lights
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:20 am 

Hi,

I had my 2015 Mitsubishi PHEV (facelift model) in the garage for them to replace the entire EV cooling system, as it was clogged. After a week in the garage they rang to say the car was ready. However they noticed that the front drivers side LED sidelight and the rear (manual says its LED) tail light are inoperative.

I did convert the front dipped headlights from halogen to LED back in October last year. The garage have "suggested" that the LED conversion might have "knocked out" the side/rear light. I countered that if that was the issue, why was only the drivers side (right hand drive) affected and not the passenger side. Also I had not noticed the lights issue before I booked the car in for the EV cooling system to be fixed.

I have swapped the dipped LED lights back to halogen and the front drivers side LED sidelight and the rear tail light are still inoperative.

Suggestions on what I can check would be appreciated. Otherwise I have to wait till 17th March to get the garage to fix it.

Post subject: Re: Front and Rear LED lights
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am 

This any help?
Apparently, the front "position" (sidelights) are fed from the tail lamp control circuit!
Attachment:
Screenshot (16).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 am 

Regulo wrote:
This any help?
Apparently, the front "position" (sidelights) are fed from the tail lamp control circuit!
Attachment:
Screenshot (16).jpg

Makes sense that both the tail and the side (position) lights are the the same circuit and seperate left from right - hence the passengers side is still working and the fault is isolated to the drivers side. I can't tell from the diagram which fuse/relay I could check.

Can you confirm?

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am 

Tracing these circuits back, they're all fed from an 80 Amp fusible link, connected to the auxillary battery positive terminal. If everything else is working, it looks like a bad connection, or a bad ETACS unit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:29 am 

Thanks Ray - good job I have a warranty. In that case I will let the garage figure it out and update the post with their findings.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:58 pm 

One other thing I have noticed - if I hit the open car button on the fob, the led position light (front) and the rear tail light flash 3 times. It would tend to suggest the lights are working, to a degree.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:39 pm 

That is puzzling! This is pointing to some weird goings on in the ETACS unit, to me. Please keep us informed of the outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:34 am 

Good luck, I think you may have a fight on your hands. The fitting of aftermarket LED headlamps is dubious at best and will likely invalidate any warranty; certainly any company worth their salt would throw a claim like this in the bin with glee.
I also wouldn’t be surprised if similar issues would be found in any insurance claim where this could have an impact (like at night).

Is it really worth this much hassle?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:01 am 

LOL - this was the same excuse a previous dealer tried when my car went into lip home mode and I fitted a HID kit. Turns out it was the turbo...

I will report back what the dealer finds when it goes back in the garage 18th March.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:43 am 

Lol? Ok, as I said good luck I hope you’re right. Difference here is while there’s clearly no connection between the wrong lamps being fitted and a turbo, it would be difficult to argue that there’s no connection between non type approved lamps being fitted and the side lights.

You’ve clearly changed part of a system which you now expect to be covered by the manufacturers warranty, they may honor it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.