Weird sound near the rear of the car when it is turned off

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anjumgia

Weird sound near the rear of the car when it is turned off it happens when car is off and stationary and it is continous it humming and ticking but it is pretty quiet and comes out of the boot battery area . please tell me what the problem could be

The air pressure in the fuel tank is slowly equalizing? Exhaust pipe cooling down and contracting?

There's a battery cooling fan, but it shouldn't be running continuously. Could that be it? From your other post about the beep when you brake, it sounds like a very confused PHEV. Perhaps a software corruption?

Regulo said:
There's a battery cooling fan, but it shouldn't be running continuously. Could that be it? From your other post about the beep when you brake, it sounds like a very confused PHEV. Perhaps a software corruption?
Permanent sound from the back+ beep when braking suggests an air leak in the brake servo circuit to me.

anjumgia said:
Weird sound near the rear of the car when it is turned off it happens when car is off and stationary and it is continous it humming and ticking but it is pretty quiet and comes out of the boot battery area . please tell me what the problem could be

Is this while you are plugged in and charging?

The On Board Charger (OBC), Dc-Dc Converter are all under the luggage floor at the back as well as rear electric motor/generator and Rear Motor Control Unit (RMCU).

It may not be any problem at all. It could just be the PHEV doing its job.

I'm having the same issue. It's a fairly cold winter day (0 degrees celcius) - not sure if that's why.

Did you ever find out what this was?

Hi angumgio
Did you ever get to the bottom of the weird sound.
My PHEV has just started to do the same.
A quiet high'ish pitch buzz and ticking sound (a bit like an old hard drive) from the rear boot on the left when facing the car from the rear.

Cheers

Nope! I haven't heard it in a while so I'm guessing it's probably something normal running when it needs to...

Thanks, good to hear your PHEV issue has resolved. Itself. Mine started around the same time as I updated the PHEV phone app... Which didn't work. But could be totally unrelated.

Back