Motion Sensors Off?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSlackBladder

I forgot to look for this when I had the demo PHEV for a weekend, but it caused me a headache (literally) in other cars.....is there a button to switch off the internal motion sensor/alarm when the car is locked for a short time with a dog or child in it?

I seem to recall it is somewhere in the manual. There is an option to do this anyhow. Not a dedicated button though.
Edit:I looked it up, you can deactivate/activate by the windscreen wiper switch.

It is also what you need when on a ferry. You have to hold up the wiper arm for a few seconds but I forget which car mode you need to be in. Note that the sensors are then off until you repeat the procedure, contrary to what my OH told me - said it was only set for one-time use (so when I then tried to set it again for the kids, I inadvertently turned the sensors back on they set the alarm off! :roll: ) - so we'd had the sensor off for about 3 weeks!
H

presumably you also have an old-fashioned physical key you can use to open and close the car? Generally speaking, locking by key does not activate the alarm sensors.

Well, one does have an emergency key incorporated into the electronic one, but it is not quite clear what it will and will not do.

Having just come of a ferry and switching off the alarm there is an option in Vehicle settings to switch off the theft alarm. I did this as easy to do and no one was going to drive off with the car whilst we where in transit. Once at the arrival port switched it back on again. Not as simple as in my Volvo and hitting a button but did the job.

jaapv said:
Well, one does have an emergency key incorporated into the electronic one, but it is not quite clear what it will and will not do.

Worth someone running a test - it is the official way to lock a Prius without arming the alarm.

Internal Movement sensors are deactivated by turning the car off in the usual way and then pushing the Wiper lever UP and holding it for approx 3 seconds - until you hear a Bleep Bleep....
as far as I can tell they revert to normal once you turn the car ignition back on again...

I thought you had to repeat the process and get a single bleep to turn the sensors on again, but the manual is in the car and I can't be bothered to go and check at the moment..!
H

My reading of the manual (page 4-32!) is that setting this function (i.e. de-activating the sensors) results in one 'beep'. You can either then re-activate the sensors in the same way (2 beeps will confirm), or also just unlocking the car with keyless entry cancels the de-activation. But I've read it a few times and I'm not sure :roll: Would be good to confirm for a forthcoming ferry trip....

maby said:
presumably you also have an old-fashioned physical key you can use to open and close the car? Generally speaking, locking by key does not activate the alarm sensors.
Hi,

The physical key only locks/unlocks the drivers door without setting the alarm. So you would need to use the central locking button to lock boot/doors first, exit the car, then use the key to lock drivers door. This would result in the alarm being totally off.

Using the wiper lever, with the car off, will simply turn the inclination detector and internal movement sensors on/off while leaving the remaining car alarm on. This seems to stay as you set it until you change it again.

There is a rather complicated way of fully turning the car alarm off with door open, lever pressed etc etc.

There is also an option to turn the alarm on/off via the app.

trilly said:
Having just come of a ferry and switching off the alarm there is an option in Vehicle settings to switch off the theft alarm. I did this as easy to do and no one was going to drive off with the car whilst we where in transit. Once at the arrival port switched it back on again. Not as simple as in my Volvo and hitting a button but did the job.
For being on a ferry its probably all you need to hold the wiper up to disable inclination (and internal movement) sensor just in case someone does attempt a breakin. Probably the quickest/easiest method too.

Kind regards,
Mark

Tested my x4H:-

Turn OFF ignition
Deactivate Movement sensors = Hold Wiper switch UP (Mist wipe) for 3 seconds - signal is 2 bleeps...
Close and lock doors with key fob button or door button as normal...

Movement sensors reset to ACTIVE the next time you unlock and open the door - If you change your mind before closing the door after deactivating the movement sensor you can push the wiper lever up and hold for 3sec and you will hear 1 beep - movement sensors are active again when you lock the car...

Not complicated at all...

BTW - Did this test with the sun roof open and discovered that there is no warning to tell you that you have left it open when you lock the car - as there is when you leave a door or the boot not fully latched...
i.e. the car locks and the alarm LED flashes with a beep signal until the alarm set delay times out then it just flashes when set... there is no difference in the alarm set beep signal to indicate that the Movement sensors are active or deactivated...

The is also a method, slightly more involved, that deactivates the alarm system completely:-
Turn off ignition
Pull wiper lever towards steering wheel (wash/wipe) and hold for 10 seconds signal one long bleep keep lever pulled and press the unlock button on the key fob
Signal 1 bleep - alarm deactivated and it stays that way until your repeat the above
Signal 2 bleeps - alarm system activated.

Back