Auto Tail gate will not open via..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topcat

I have a PHEV 4H Outlander and when I try to open the rear hatchback door using the key pushbutton there are two alarm beeps and the door does not lift.

I can use the catch pushbutton near the rear window to open but if I try to close again with pushbutton on the bottom of the door, again I hear two alarm beeps and the door fails not close

Hope this description of the problem is clear!

We are not sure if by mistake we have changed a setting or selected some pushbutton somewhere but it certainly worked before

Any advice please

The procedure via the remote is:

1. Unlock the car (two beeps are heard)
2. Press the tailgate button on the remote twice in quick succession.

It is possible to turn off the electric tailgate via the button in the centre of the dashboard.

All of this presumes that you do have the electric tailgate fitted.

It appears as an arm on the left hand side of the tailgate.

(The arm moves through a slot in the rubber surround)

:)

You get two beeps if you press the boot button on the remote without unlocking the car first. Then as above, you need to press the boot button twice quickly (like double clicking a computer mouse button). After a bit of practice it becomes second nature, even with the remote in your pocket.

Thanks for both of those replies

Unfortunately I tried double clicking the key fob and that does not raise the door automatically (which is electric). I located a pushbutton on the dash just under the sterering wheen to the right of driver and pushed this also. I was wrong in my description of two beeps. Try the key and dash pushbutton results in three beeps followed by no action to open door. Could this be a electric motor fault/fuse blown issue or is there any other advice someone may have

many thanks

Does it open and close using the button on the door itself? What about the button on the dashboard (not the small enable/disable one by the power outlet in the middle)?.

If it opens but doesn't close, then that might indicate the sensor strips on the sides thing there's an obstruction. Check there's nothing stuck (like a leaf or bit of gravel) on the black bits on the sides of the door.

Richr and AndyinOz

You guys had it all the time. You really have to crane your neck down to see the pushbutton in the centre of the dash you were refering to. It was you saying it was next to the power socket that helped. My wife puts all her shit in that tray and something has obviously bumped it and turn off the that pushbutton.

Selected it "on" and rear door is just working fine now :)

many thanks
Topcat

AndyInOz said:
Press the tailgate button on the remote twice in quick succession
This is actually brilliant. In my current car the tailgate has opened unintentially numerous times because I pressed the remote in my pocket. Guess having to press it twice will solve that

AndyInOz said:
All of this presumes you have the electric tailgate fitted
It appears as an arm on the left hand side of the tailgate.
(The arm moves through a slot in the rubber surround)
I guess they could buy these in bulk back in 1995 and are determined to use all remaining stock :mrgreen:

I thought my key fob has issues because I wasn't able to open the trunk. Tried short press, long press.

Thank you for pointing me to the two clicks on the key fob button. I would have never guessed it.

Back