Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Triple Procedure & Setup (Costs around 80USD)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:47 am 

Katmandu wrote:
Do you think it reasonable for a motor manufacturer to advertise features of a vehicle, the EV range, without also informing potential buyers that immediately you put the vehicle on the road that range will regularly, incrementally decrease and yes we know the advertised range was under "laboratory" conditions and we would never achieve it. What we would achieve is a range based on our personal situation however high or low and that is being regularly decreased by what you suggest is perfectly reasonable battery degradation.

Sorry but that is essential information when making a buying decision and Mitsubishi should have declared it and should now be admitting it and people who belittle the attempts of those who are trying in their own way to resolve the issue should be supported not denigrated.

And why should motor manufacturers have to adhere to a higher ethical standard than any other business selling rechargeable battery products? I don't recall hearing any laptop or mobile 'phone firm ever warning about degradation in their marketing material.

My laptop now only has a few minutes life from a fully charged battery but, as I rarely use it "on the go", this is not a real problem - I just leave it plugging in all the time - which is, of course, part of the reason for the decline. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:08 am 

If they paid £40,000 for them and expected them to provide reasonable used values they probably would but as they treat them as disposable commodities and would buy a new one in 12 months anyway they don't.

Compare like with like and not chalk with cheese if you want to make a point.

Given contributions others make calling Andy the "BMU God" is a fitting tribute for the amount of time he spends trying, in his own way, to help owners including continuing to believe in the vehicle and not wanting to change to an alternative if only MItsubishi would provide support with the same conviction.

Incidentally if you had seen any of his earlier videos you would know he was well aware of the functioning of the heater but had devised a test that demonstrates it and would enable anybody who was concerned about whether it was working could carry out. But if all you want to do is pour scorn of his efforts carry on but it would be better if you came up with something better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:27 am 

Sheesh - I'm four and a half years late throwing mine in the rubbish bin... :o :roll:
5 1/2 years old, 130.000 on the clock and over 85% of the original range... And that goes for virtually all older cars bar one or two exceptions. I would pay attention to your twisted knickers instead of your BMU if I were you.
My test for a working heater is the temperature of my toes.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:15 am 

Yep - got exactly 25 miles (40 km) out of my almost 5 year old car on Saturday before ICE kicked in 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 am 

My 60,000 mile 2015 GX4h manages 24-25 miles of sensible driving before the battery is depleted too, just leaving it in D (no changing regen settings) or anything other than not flooring it at junctions. Maybe just driving it and not worrying so much is the key?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:53 am 

I seem to remember in 2014 the "early adopters" were worrying about life of battery and cost of replacement rather than current degradation. But, of course, these pioneers would have spent several months researching the new technology before taking the plunge.

We now seem to be hearing from the early majority who won't have done the research and will be relying more (as above :lol: ) on marketing material. Unfortunately, they are also likely to be more vocal than the "late majority" (still to come) on social media - so patience with them is needed. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24 pm 

I've got to say, mine seems to be working fine too...

1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 pm 

Canadian 2018 model here:

Finaly got some time to play around with the car today. Here are my conclusions of the 'triple procedure'. I used the Mitsubishi MUT-III SE software and a non-mitsubishi J2534 adapter.

1) BMU reset takes about 2 seconds to execute. Not clear to me what it does
2) Cell smothing is just a balancing. Since my cells were within 0.005V, it ran for maybe 10 seconds
3) DBCAM: looked at the numbers, MUT-III confirmed my 32.8Ah capacity I was getting from the dog. (43 000km, 17 months old). I ran the thing and it complained about not charging. Plugged the car in (was down to about 2 bars of battery), re-clicked the item and after 10 seconds it said 'done'. Whaaaat? This is not working? So I shut down the car and as soon as I hit the power button and the dash went dark, the fans started running full blast. The car was running the A/C and the heating at the same time! The radiator fans kicked in quite a bit. I was worried that the car would get too hot in my garage (32*C day), so I sparayed the radiator with my garden hose every 3-4 minutes. The car discharged it's 2 bars in about 20 minutes and continued a good half-hour. Visibly, it is discharging the battery way lower than when driving. Once this madness stopped, it started charging. Took about 5h. Now the dog shows 35.9Ah!

So it did measure 10% more capacity that the calculated degradation. I'll confirm tomorrow on my way to work if this translated to real usable range, as my engine kicks in at the very same spot everyday.

EDIT: Did the same trip as everyday this morning, the engine kicked in 4km later (next highway exit). This is directly inline with the raised capacity. This Ah reported in the dog is no bullshit, this is really what the car uses to determine the "30%" SOC to start the engine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by fprigge on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:36 am 

This triple procedure seems much more secure and robust..

It may be a lot harder to setup but it does seems to payoff...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:16 am 

Update: 2 days after my DBCAM and 140km, the dog shows 2x 0.1Ah capacity reduction! Wow, that was fast! The worst part is that in the morning when I start the car it shows 102% charge... This BMS software is really strange!

Re-update: I decided to run a DBCAM with the dog running. Here are the numbers:

- DBCAM discharge is at 7.9kW (heater + A/C compressor running full blast!)
- discharge is down to 2.875V on the lowest cell! So it really does a complete discharge.
- cell voltage imbalance at such a low SOC is high (0.308V!!!) while the cells where within 4mV at 29% SOC...

I'll try to add screenshots of the dog to the other active thread of the forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next