Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BMU Reset for 2018 Canadian PHEV. Alternate method idea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:25 pm 

Tried Linquist, Dublin and D-Easy without any reset. Please let me know if you had success and if so what did you do

With Dublin method when voltage dropped around 8.0 volts several error came up however reset never occured.
Looks like that in Canadian cars the BMU has a better protection against power loss.

Here are my thoughts on why

In electronic circuit critical data is protected against corruption by Power Supply Circuitry that detects a power loss and
maintains a minimal voltage for a long enough period to save the critical data in a non volatile memory. Normally a small capacitor maintains this voltage.

I am wondering if we could Weaken this voltage somehow. If we drop the aux battery voltage around the 8.0 Volt level and maintain it at this level for a little while, the voltage on the NonVolatile memory capacitor will drop as well. So if we generate the power loss at this time, there would be less voltage available to save the data and possibly cause the data corruption forcing the BMU reset?

Please comment

JP

Post subject: Re: BMU Reset for 2018 Canadian PHEV. Alternate method idea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:02 pm 

I also have in vain tried the various methods to restore the SoH. :cry:
Interesting hypothesis, but without knowledge of the inner workings, it's mere speculation.
I don't want to damage my Aux battery, so cannot test this.
If on my next visit to the dealer nothing gets resolved, I might have to resort to buying the MUT s/w and adapter...

phevy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:42 pm 

Lindqvist failed but D Method with diodes worked but not in the expected way.

See my post on page 5 of the D Method for stubborn cars thread

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 pm 

I have a Canadian 2018 GT. Dublin worked for me.

2014 Tesla S85 sold :(
2011 Leaf SV sold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:29 pm 

Great news!
Lon12 wrote:
Dublin worked for me.

What was the voltage you dropped down to?
What did you use for voltage source?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:12 am 

jpleduc wrote:
Tried Linquist, Dublin and D-Easy without any reset. Please let me know if you had success and if so what did you do

With Dublin method when voltage dropped around 8.0 volts several error came up however reset never occured.
Looks like that in Canadian cars the BMU has a better protection against power loss.

Here are my thoughts on why

In electronic circuit critical data is protected against corruption by Power Supply Circuitry that detects a power loss and
maintains a minimal voltage for a long enough period to save the critical data in a non volatile memory. Normally a small capacitor maintains this voltage.

I am wondering if we could Weaken this voltage somehow. If we drop the aux battery voltage around the 8.0 Volt level and maintain it at this level for a little while, the voltage on the NonVolatile memory capacitor will drop as well. So if we generate the power loss at this time, there would be less voltage available to save the data and possibly cause the data corruption forcing the BMU reset?

Please comment

JP

AFAIK all Mitsu PHEVs up to 2018 use the exact same battery management module but it seems that the installed firmware may be different.
So from a hardware perspective if the data can be corrupted/reset with a few seconds of low voltage there is no capacitor backup for volatile data involved at least not for the data that gets lost with these voltage drop methods. Capacitor backups usually hold power for hours and much longer.
It is more likely that this a bug in the hardware or firmware, who knows.

Your problem is that you do not know to what voltage level it has to drop and for how many seconds it has to stay that way.
8V seems incorrect. If you use a battery it could be over 10V and then it drops to a lower level under load while the charge is initiated.

I suggest get an old car battery, do NOT use your AUX battery and follow what worked for me:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4581&start=0
or have a look at my diode dropper method if you are a little versed in electronics on page two of my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4581&start=10
and read exactly what michael8554 wrote.
Important that you use this between the negative pole of the battery and the released battery clamp as instructed while the charger is connected and try different diode and Schottky diode combinations, gradually reducing the voltage drop. Wait two minutes after charge has finally commenced and then check if the watchdog has updated to 38 Ah or more.

The actual reset might happen even before the charge starts, keep holding at least 20 seconds each time you reduce one diode. Keep in mind a Schottky diode drops a little less than 1/2 of a 10A10 diode, it is like 0.4V instead of 1V.
So if you buy 3x Schottky diodes and 4x 10A10 diodes, all that can handle 10A this should give you 0.4/0.8/1/1.2/1.4/1.8/2.2/2.4/2.8/3.3/3.4/3.8/4/4.2V drops, so quite a high resolution to find the exact spot.

I would start at 4.2V and and reduce each step above until the charger actually switches on.
Keep it connected for 20 seconds each time, even if the charge does not start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:14 pm 

Phevy wrote:
Great news!
Lon12 wrote:
Dublin worked for me.

- Drove drive battery empty.
- Turned the car on but not in drive mode (start button twice without pressing brake).
- Turned on as many high load 12v accessories as I could. Fan, High beams, seat heat, portable 12v cabin heater. Took about 45 minutes.
- Watched Dog BMU voltage drop to around 7.2v with load. Unloaded returned to 8v.
- Disconnect 12v. Plugged in Mitsubishi supplied EVSE.
- Reconnected 12v but only till charger started. Had to do this three times to get timing correct.
- PHEV Watchdog immediately reported 40 Ah. Didn't have to wait.
GOM now says 62 km.

Used the onboard 12v battery.

2014 Tesla S85 sold :(
2011 Leaf SV sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:24 am 

Lon12 wrote:
Phevy wrote:
Great news!
Lon12 wrote:
Dublin worked for me.

- Drove drive battery empty.
- Turned the car on but not in drive mode (start button twice without pressing brake).
- Turned on as many high load 12v accessories as I could. Fan, High beams, seat heat, portable 12v cabin heater. Took about 45 minutes.
- Watched Dog BMU voltage drop to around 7.2v with load. Unloaded returned to 8v.
- Disconnect 12v. Plugged in Mitsubishi supplied EVSE.
- Reconnected 12v but only till charger started. Had to do this three times to get timing correct.
- PHEV Watchdog immediately reported 40 Ah. Didn't have to wait.
GOM now says 62 km.

Used the onboard 12v battery.

I can confirm that this method worked like a charm on my 2018 canadian PHEV
I had to try 2 last step 3-4 times to make it works.

Thanks alot Lon12 ! Went from 32.8Ah to 40.0Ah on my 20 000km PHEV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:34 pm 

Currently working on an alternate method using a Diode dropper circuit, to bring the Voltage down without draining the PHEV 12V aux Battery.

The original idea came from Madtechnutter and was adapted and tested by Michael8554. I am awaiting parts to complete my circuit and will test it on a Canadian PHEV and will report back my results. Parts not expected till end of sept...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:32 pm 

Lon12

Did the guessometer start to drop range quickly or are you still getting great range?