Spare charging cable in Australia

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegurio

Hi all. 2 things, one that I've just been wondering about - why don't we have a menekes (or however you say it?) point in the .au version? There's the space for it, but not the plug itself...

But what my actual question is - what is everyone doing about spare charging cables? So far we've gone to Mitsi's and they were about $400 which I thought is high but reasonable, but the biggest problem is I can't find a suitable alternative with an Australian plug on it. Is it a matter of just cutting the plug and putting an Australian plug on it? Or should I be a bit better thought out and try to get a 'proper' Australian one?

Hi thegurio,

I had to make a decision about a spare charging lead and ended up buying a second from Mitsubishi. The problem with it was not identified until I tried to use it at a public charging point. The cord was too short. , and the control box had to hang in the air. An extension cord is not a solution as there is no security, as anyone could take the cable and leave the extension cord. The lock on the chargepoint only fixes the plug inside the outlet. Solution was to have an electrician replace the AC cord with a longer one. I had 4m added with a 15A molded plug. The control box has to be resealed to IP ratings again. Mine now has an orange lead and the control box sits flat on the ground under the car when charging. I don.t know why the original is so short. I still have a short adapter cable for emergency charging from a 10A outlet. The PHEV only draws a max 9.1A with my cable.

Back