Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: speedometer error
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am 

I have discovered that when I set the cruise control to 100 kph, the speedo reads 103 and Waze App reads 97! Which of the 3 is the right number? Is there any way to synchronize the Cruise to the speedo?

Post subject: Re: speedometer error
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm 

My UK spec car (2015 no MMCS) does not have a separate speed value when I set the cruise control but as with all speedos (in Europe, Asia and Australia/NZ), they are required to be inaccurate by law.

Using my Garmin SatNav, the following speeds are found

Speedo Sat Nav
50mph 47/47mph
60mph 57mph
70mph 66/67mph
75mph 71/72mph

Needless to say, I use the SatNav speed when setting my cruise control, especially on the motorway at night when I have 300 miles to cover.

GX3h+ From February 2016
Atlantic Grey
Based in Letchworth - 30K+ pa Company Car

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:48 am 

Steel188 wrote:
My UK spec car (2015 no MMCS) does not have a separate speed value when I set the cruise control but as with all speedos (in Europe, Asia and Australia/NZ), they are required to be inaccurate by law.

Using my Garmin SatNav, the following speeds are found

Speedo Sat Nav
50mph 47/47mph
60mph 57mph
70mph 66/67mph
75mph 71/72mph

Needless to say, I use the SatNav speed when setting my cruise control, especially on the motorway at night when I have 300 miles to cover.

Interesting that it shows a constant +3 km/h deviation, not a relative one like 3%, so this could be a deliberate 'calibrated' setting that may be adjustable with the right service software.

It would be important that the cruise control have the same deviation.
The car's inertia physically can not immediately respond to a sudden downhill slope for example.
At some point you would be likely over-speeding while it tries to correct and could get a ticket from a cop hiding on the down hill slope, where they preferably hide :twisted:
You can NOT use your cruise control as an excuse for speeding !

A margin of 3% would be reasonable thanks to the regen braking with this car.
The speed with cruise control on my old diesel would vary +/-10km/h even on light slopes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:59 am 

MadTechNutter wrote:
The car's inertia physically can not immediately respond to a sudden downhill slope for example.

Really? - In my experience, the CC responds to "sudden" downhills faster than I would be able and only "over-speeds" by 1mph.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:12 am 

MadTechNutter
The sppeds given are mph not kph so the varience is larger than you think and I do vary how close to SatNav accurate I travel depending on the terrain. However, here in the UK with a 70mph limit on the motorways (if they're not dug up or jammed solid!) you will not be bothered by the police (or the average speed cameras) if you are travelling at a constant 71 or 72mph.

greendwarf
I agree, especially as I tend to always put the car in B5. I do not find over speeding a problem and on UK motorways and major dual carriageways there is no such thing as a 'sudden' downhill slope anyway

GX3h+ From February 2016
Atlantic Grey
Based in Letchworth - 30K+ pa Company Car

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 am 

Steel188 wrote:
MadTechNutter
The sppeds given are mph not kph so the varience is larger than you think and I do vary how close to SatNav accurate I travel depending on the terrain. However, here in the UK with a 70mph limit on the motorways (if they're not dug up or jammed solid!) you will not be bothered by the police (or the average speed cameras) if you are travelling at a constant 71 or 72mph.

greendwarf
I agree, especially as I tend to always put the car in B5. I do not find over speeding a problem and on UK motorways and major dual carriageways there is no such thing as a 'sudden' downhill slope anyway

Yeah, I got some tricky coastal drops to negotiate where I live, not much over 60m but sudden and short, bit like a roller coaster.
If I am 'a bit' over the speed limit in the bottom I can sometimes get to a top again in B0 barely using the throttle at all.

3mp/h speedo 'error' is quite high.
I definitely have a consistent 3km/h between a SatNav and my speedo.
...err... the velocity indicator, not the budgie smugglers :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 am 

Mine speedo ties in quite closely with my ACC setting, but it under-reads consistently by 3mph from 30-70mph, according to Waze and those signs that flash your speed at you as you approach a built-up area.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...