Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: D-Method on really stubborn cars or the A-Method :)
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:55 am 

mellobob wrote:
Does this actually give one more range or does it just change the guess-o-meter to a bigger number?

The former

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:04 pm 

michael8554 wrote:
mellobob wrote:
Does this actually give one more range or does it just change the guess-o-meter to a bigger number?

The former

for a little while :D

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:00 pm 

I think I'm sorry I asked the question ... and more thoroughly confused than ever :)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:02 am 

mellobob wrote:
I think I'm sorry I asked the question ... and more thoroughly confused than ever :)

Just regard this whole BMU reset stuff as the natural desire of humankind to tinker and not leave well enough alone. To me it is very simple - if one wants an EV that runs long distances on electricity, get a BEV. If one wants a hybrid that runs some distance on electricity, more or less, get a PHEV. Both systems have compromises. With a PHEV the distances run will not be that impressive and decline over time. That does not change the concept of the car, nor the usability.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:41 am 

I think jaapv has made the sensible answer, go with that and you will have years of EV driving.

I was being contrary, as I don't believe it's clear whether Resets work or not.

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 am 

I cannot see how a BMU reset can overcome the Li-Ion physics. The BMU sees the battery full at 4.1V/cell and "take it easy on me" at 3.7V/cell.. The it learns the SoC between this two values tracing a curve of charge and discharge energy. That is it.
Reseting the BMU will only force it to think the battery is new and start with a SoC curve for a new battery. After a few cycles it will learn again the curve for the worn out battery. It will by no means change one Ion inside the Battery.

Cheers.

Alex.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:39 am 

AlexBorro wrote:
I cannot see how a BMU reset can overcome the Li-Ion physics. The BMU sees the battery full at 4.1V/cell and "take it easy on me" at 3.7V/cell.. The it learns the SoC between this two values tracing a curve of charge and discharge energy. That is it.
Reseting the BMU will only force it to think the battery is new and start with a SoC curve for a new battery. After a few cycles it will learn again the curve for the worn out battery. It will by no means change one Ion inside the Battery.

Cheers.

Alex.

And it cannot be helping longevity.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php ... ion_to_die

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:10 am 

I am sure all you experts are correct in what you say about the natural degradation and the dangers of overuling this on the life span of the battery.

I am just a poor ignoramous that cannot believe that the batteries are naturally degrading at the rate that is being seen.

What i do believe is that Mitsubishi should be more customer service orientated and include in their service schedule a check on the real state of the battery, not just rely on the guesses by its software/firmware, and have the ability to restore the battery capacity in the software/firmware to what it actually is so that the owner can always get the maximum electric drive as they expected when they spent the extra money on buying a PHEV. They could also consider updating their software/firmware so that it is more accurate in its guess.

Without this we might just as well have bought a "self charging hybrid" and saved the money.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:32 am 

Katmandu wrote:
Without this we might just as well have bought a "self charging hybrid" and saved the money.

Not me and similar "ideal" users whose daily mileage is well within even a degraded battery. I'm still getting 20+ miles per charge after more than 5 years - I'm well in pocket :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:02 am 

Me too.

I can do 95% of journeys in EV mode and the occasional much longer jouney without "range anxiety".

Self Charging makes no sense to me, have those makers really got it so wrong? :-)

Significant economic and environmental benefits for me.

Wiltshire UK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next