Battery Level is not updated after Charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbpank

Hello Friends,

I got a question for you.

I have just bought Outlander (2015) from cargiants, i am learning about the car.

Main reason for buying the car is that it is cost effective.

I tried to charge the Battery using the Charger that i received with the car.

But display ( Battery Status ) hasn't changed much. It showed tiny increase.

Another interesting thing is when i drive car can see battery charges up.

So i am not little concerned about health of the Battery.

Could you please shed some light on this ?

Has any of you have encountered this Issue ?

Did you get the solid green light on the charger? How about the dashboard display? Did it show the charging symbol? Strange problem.

The charger that comes with the car has a green led that flashes when the charger is plugged into the mains.
This turns to solid green when you plug into the car, indicating charging has started.
When fully charged the led reverts to flashing again.
If the latch on top of the plug isn't fully engaged in the car, so that it isn't fully "unsqueezed", that means a switch in the handle isn't properly switched and charging can't start.

Michael

Michael has explained it perfectly! You need to give us a bit more info on what indicators you see when you think charging is taking place.

Also, when charging starts, you'll hear a double clonk from the relays cutting in. The light in the flap will flash. The car will display a red plug symbol and the green park light will light up. When you open the door the battery level will be shown. When the battery is full the dash will display "charge complete" If you unplug earlier, the dash will display "charge interrupted"
Newer models may differ slightly.

If all that looks OK, the previous owner may have setup timers for the charging. If you read the manual, it'll explain how to get to the timer menu screen and how to turn them on or off.

Thanks a lot guys,
For sharing knowledge.

@Regulo and @michael8554
-- Charger seems to be working fine.

@jaapv,
Also, when charging starts, you'll hear a double clonk from the relays cutting in. -- Tick
The light in the flap will flash. -- Tick
The car will display a red plug symbol and the green park light will light up. -- NO

I looked into Users Manual and found that there is one indicator , which confirms when Electric cable is plugged in .
I cannot see it lit up when i had charging Cable connected.

I could see all right indication on Charger , so there doesn't seems to be issue with Charger.

@ThudnBlundr
Hmmmm , it looks like , i need to check this now.
But if charger is on, and timer has not set up , it doesn't accept charging ?

hbpank said:
Hmmmm , it looks like , i need to check this now.
But if charger is on, and timer has not set up , it doesn't accept charging ?

Not quite.

If a timer is set, the car ONLY charges when the timer says so.

For example, my timers, in the car, are set to charge every day between midnight and five am.

If I want to charge, I come home and plug the car in.

At midnight, the car starts charging.

:)

If I wanted to charge outside of those hours, I'd have to cancel the timer setting for that day.

Just to reiterate:

The LEd on the charger is solid, not flashing.

When you open the driver's door the instrument panel should show the display on page 3-15 of the Owner's Manual
That is, a time to completion of charge, the manual shows 1:30.for example.
At about an hour to go, that changes to - -. - -

You realise charging takes about 5 hours with the supplied charger?

Trying it on a public fast charger that has the plug that fits the righthand socket might prove something I guess.

Michael

Hello Friends,

Thanks a lot for your help earlier.

Here are my finding.

I went to Charging station , it bumped up my battery a bit.( earlier it was one visual Bar , after charge, I could see 3 Visual Bars.)

( it is another mystery, that I was there for 50 Minutes but it showed me that car was charged for 7 minutes.)

I came back home and used charger at home for full night, In the Morning i could see that it was fully charged.

Surprisingly it discharged to 20 % level after 5-6 Miles of distance ( Car was not heavily loaded or AC was not ON.)
Then again i tried to recharge car at home , but it didn't charge , so i need to re-visit Charging station.

Looks like once it is discharge up to 20% , it needs to be taken to Charging station.

michael8554 said:
Just to reiterate:

The LEd on the charger is solid, not flashing.

When you open the driver's door the instrument panel should show the display on page 3-15 of the Owner's Manual
That is, a time to completion of charge, the manual shows 1:30.for example.
At about an hour to go, that changes to - -. - -

You realise charging takes about 5 hours with the supplied charger?

Trying it on a public fast charger that has the plug that fits the righthand socket might prove something I guess.

Michael
Thanks Michael ,
Charging with "Public Fast charger" - did the initial magic.

I can't recall the symptoms now, but I seem to remember that there can be a fault with the AC charge socket in which one of the pins becomes loose and gets pushed in, so that it doesn't make contact with the plug. It should be easy to check visually if all of the pins are at the same level.

michael8554 said:
Sorry hbpank, I didn't understand your reply about using a fast public charger.

Michael ,

I tried to say that , First i charge it with Public Fast Charger , then only it was charged first time.

Just to check that you don't have a timer set so that it only charges at set times?

Darkflow said:
I can't recall the symptoms now, but I seem to remember that there can be a fault with the AC charge socket in which one of the pins becomes loose and gets pushed in, so that it doesn't make contact with the plug. It should be easy to check visually if all of the pins are at the same level.
Not too helpful, as the pins are designed to be at different heights so that some disconnect first, allowing for safe disconnection in poor conditions. You really need to compare yours to someone else's.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I had raised point with CarGiant , guess what they provided another Car Charger and with that car started charging .
Everything is good. Sorry for posting to late , But late is better than never.

Back