Charging "bridge" schuko to type 2 mode 2 ??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valdemarsvik

My PHEV charging box (2014) came with a schuko contact. However every charging place at supermarkets and parking lots is designed for type 2 mode 2.
Is it possible to buy (or make) a short "bridge" in one end the schuko female and in the other end the type 2 mode 2 male.
Will it work? As you have understood I am not an electrician, far from

For charging stations you need a type 1-type 2 cable. The charging brick cannot be plugged into a charging station as it is a mobile charging station by itself. You cannot have two charge controllers in series.
The charging box can ONLY be plugged into (Schuko) household outlets. You can use an adapter to plug it into British 3-pin household outlets.

Thank you! I understand, even if I build my own fantastic adapter ("bridge") it will not work since I then will have two charging controllers in series .
Do i dare ask why it will not work?

Because the charger looks for a data communication on the two smaller pins in the plug from the car to tell it that it's connected and when charging is complete or there's a fault etc. The domestic supply end of your slow charger doesn't have that. So the public Type 2 charger will simply think there's nothing connected as there's no data connection.

Also the slow charger charges much slower (10A max) compared to a Type 2 charger (16A) so why would you want to? Spend €130 or so on a Type 2 to Type 1 cable and do it properly :) If you get a charge point fitted at home, go for one with a Type 2 socket so that you can use that cable - your next electric car will almost certainly use Type 2 as well.

Back