Fuel efficiency on long commutes

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HereinNewZealand

Hi there,

Appologies if this has been asked before. We are new to the forum and don't know how to search through past posts.

We are looking at buying an outlander phev for a commute that is 90km (55miles) each way. We can charge at each end and, say, get 20km while using electricity. But what sort of fuel economy would we get for the remainder (70km) of the journey?

We are currently using a skoda superb diesil which does about 6L/100km. Very keen to "upgrade" to a phev if it means we use less fuel.

We are in NZ so don't have any tax incentives etc for electric vehicles to factor in.

Thanks!

You won't get better fuel economy with this usage, more likely worse. When running on the motorway @ 120/130 kmh after the charge has been consumed, I normally get about 11 km/l which translates roughly to 9 l/100 km. In total you would be lucky to get 7-8 l/100 km with the usage you describe.
There is no way that a petrol hybrid SUV can compete with a Diesel motorway cruiser in fuel economy on longer runs on the motorway.
This is simply not what the car is designed for.
It is meant for suburban cruising/commuting and occasional longer trips.
I would advise a full EV with a decent range.

It depends on the mix of speeds on the commute and your driving style, I reckon you’d do just fine. You should do way better than 20km on electric and if there’s any traffic on route PHEVs do way better.
Ideally can you get a test drive for a couple of days and try the route? It also depends on what other driving you do, if there’s lots of short journeys on too then the PHEV will do well.

With careful driving you could get 40Km 24miles, but for a regular 55 mile each way commute with charging available each end, a full electric car makes much more sense. A first generation LEAF would be a bargain.

I'm getting 55 to 60 km on my daily ride.
But even with this, I would not go for the PHEV, If I can't make the journey full electric.

I thins case, i would also prefer and suggest a BEV

Back