Thoughts on upgrading battery cells from LEV40 to LEV50?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favguy

Just been thinking about the possibility of swapping out the original battery cells for the larger capacity LEV50 cells from the i-miev as they are physically exactly the same format to my knowledge.

Anyone any thoughts on this? Are they a compatible chemistry?

Never mind, scrap that idea! Voltage and size format are both slightly different so it's a none starter.

Nope...not identical !

LEV40: 3.65V nominal voltage; 40Ah; 170x25x100; 1.65kg; 0% SoC 2.65V - 100% 4.1V; M8 terminal 9-13 NM.

LEV50: 3.75V nominal voltage; 50Ah; 171x44x115; 1.65kg; 0% SoC 2.75V - 100% 4.2V; M8 terminal 9-13 NM.

Favguy said:
Just been thinking about the possibility of swapping out the original battery cells for the larger capacity LEV50 cells from the i-miev as they are physically exactly the same format to my knowledge.

Never mind, scrap that idea! Voltage and size format are both slightly different so it's a none starter.

You could replace the 12Kwh pack with the new 13.2kwh pack used from 2019 models ... sometime this can be find used from crashed car for less then 2000 euros

Else ... you can buy lot of 18650 cells ... and build your own battery

The 2019 replacement idea is too little increase for what I'd expect to be a very high cost for the battery when they do start to come up. The salvage dealers in the UK seem to expect a very high price for salvage batteries!

Might be a good option for a high mileage car with a depleted capacity battery though I suppose. :)

elm70 said:
Favguy said:

You could replace the 12Kwh pack with the new 13.2kwh pack used from 2019 models ... sometime this can be find used from crashed car for less then 2000 euros

Else ... you can buy lot of 18650 cells ... and build your own battery

elm70, interesting... do you have some info ? (links, forums or youtube) have you tested ? tnx

for 18650s and related project visit secondlifestorage.com. You would need plenty of them.

What might be better idea is to use Telsa modules or Leaf Gen4 modules . I really need to get dimensions of the battery cage to calculate

Back