Preheating and charging concurrently with an empty battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThudnBlundr

I've searched for an answer but can't find a suitable thread.

My usage has changed, and I managed to set the timers (individually) so that the charge timer and the preheating timer were starting at the same time for a couple of weeks. I realised that the car wasn't warmed properly, but it took a while to understand why. I guess that it was a silly thing to do, but I was just wondering if the preheating would ever start in those conditions. I'm assuming that the heater wouldn't kick in as the battery level was too low and the 3.6kW charger wouldn't provide enough power to run it, at least initially. But would it kick in while charging once the battery has a bit of charge, or is it not that clever? Or how long would I need to leave it charging before the heater timer could run successfully?

I've changed both timers to more sensible timers, so this is more out of interest than need.

Why would you want to preheat at the same time you start charging :?:
The preheat is max 30 minutes, charging takes 3,5 hours. In my brief experience with the preheater, I've noticed the car will cool down if you leave it only 20 minutes after the preheat is turned off.

I usually turn the preheater on 10 minutes before I leave. It takes the chill out of the car, so I can get in comfortably without wearing a coat. Turn on the seat- and steering wheel heater right away, double coffee in a thermo cup and I'm ready for the most peacefull part of the day, but I'm wondering off now :lol:

When it starts freezing I will probably do the same 20 minutes before leaving.

Back