Help! 2018 Outlander PHEV nits and bugs...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promobob1965

Howdy everyone!

I just purchased a new 2018 Outlander PHEV SEL (North American US Version) One month / 1500 miles ago, to replace a 2011 Chevy Volt and 2014 Jeep Compass. So far I am impressed with the Comfort, EV range, and overall fuel efficiency on trips exceeding 100 miles. All and all a VERY impressive vehicle for the cost.

But as good as the vehicle is, it is not without its faults. Some are design issues which might be subjective, some are bugs. DISCLAIMER: I am not intentionally trying to belittle or bash the vehicle (I own one), but trying to get a better understanding of common problems and potential solutions to those problems (with your help), as such I am hoping responses will be constructive.

With the disclaimer set here is what I am finding when I drive my new 2018 Outlander PHEV:

DC: Gearshift lever is (IMHO) pointless and a waste of good console space. I would love to see the cupholder in it's place, but I am getting use to wedging my American "Big Gulp" under the dash.

DC: Button placement (IMHO) really needs improvement. Useful buttons like tripometer select are obscured from view, while other buttons that are rarely utilized (Hazzard) are within unnecessarily easy reach. You have a big rectangle of real estate used for to buttons (Hazzard, ECON) and two indicator lights. So for example, one could remove the indicator lamps, or make the HAZZARD, and ECON buttons smaller and put the EV, CHARGE, and HOLD buttons on the dash.

DC: The necessity of that stupid android app to set features like cabin preconditioning. Besides being a security flaw, I *think* it worked ONCE argh.... Why the hell couldn't they have implemented preconditioning/remote start feature on the key FOB like everyone else. If they can program the WiFi App through though a key fob sequence, they can surely start the car with a different key fob sequence without additional hardware to correct this WiFi APP "mistake".

DC: The center display takes a RIDICULOUS amount of time to initialize. First with a Mitsubishi logo, then an XM logo, then a acknowledgement (nag) button. All told it takes like 15-20 seconds before I can scroll to the vehicle info display. WTF?

BUG: Occasionally I get an added bonus after my 20 second wait: The center console screen locks up and I cannot scroll to the vehicle info icon at all, and have to shut off the car and reinitialize the system. Again, WTF??? This has happened more than once.

DC and/or BUG: Speaking of the vehicle Info application: I want my economy data to persist, so I turn off the Auto Data Reset. Why do I have to turn the "Auto Data Reset" to off EVERY TIME I START THE VEHICLE???? The auto reset feature resets the economy data after the vehicle is inactive for four hours. Doesn't it stand to reason if I don't want a reset from being off for four hours, I would wish that selection to persist through a power cycles that occur in less time? Also wouldn't an option to reset after a full traction battery charge be better than some arbitrary (4 hour) amount of time? Why four hours when a US work day is eight hours? (putting face in hand).

BUG: Sometimes the car goes into hybrid mode, and will ***NOT*** go into EV mode, even with a near full charge in the traction battery, and all climate controls turned off. The driver gauge display says its in EV mode, but you can hear the engine (and see it on the vehicle info display). When the car comes to a standstill the engine stops, so it's not like it is following some minimum engine runtime timer. In ECON mode and gingerly hitting the accelerator the engine roars back to life. The only way to get it to go into EV mode is to shut off the car and reinitialize the system. This has happened more than once.

BUG: Sometimes when I drive on the highway, I put the vehicle in battery saver mode (as indicated in the driver gauge panel), and NOTHING HAPPENS the vehicle continues to run in EV mode and drain the battery. I then have to go into battery charge mode to get the car out of EV only mode, and get some charge in the battery. This has happened more than once.

The fasten seat belt chime continues to sound even when the vehicle is placed in park. You have to buckle the seatbelt to silence the chime EVEN WITH THE VEHICLE IN PARK!!!

I bought the car because it was well regarded by owners and critics world-wide over the last 5 years. These "features" aside, I still believe it was a sound decision. But what I can't believe is that a model in production for so long would have these kind of stupid bugs. Does anyone from Mitsubishi read the boards? I would hate to think such an amazing vehicle would be marred by such a lack of common sense, or attention to detail.

Anyway, I would appreciate any constructive input one may provide. Has anyone else encountered any of these things? If so, what if anything did you do?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Totally agree with the design features you mention, in so much as they apply to my 2014 model.

Where would you locate the "gear lever" - you need something to select Reverse and Forward?
I fight with it to select Neutral, probably need to read the book.....:->

I rearranged some of the switches, adding a second CHRG button in full view at the end of the row behind the paddle, moving the display selector next to it (could do with a up the menus/down the menus functionality), and moving the Pedestrian Warning down to the lower row of buttons.

Mine doesn't have the centre computer display, having read the woes of those that do I'm not missing it......

Mine occasionally starts in the morning on the ICU, or takes a while to go off after a CHRG or SAVE, but not as random or as often as yours.

Why aren't the window buttons etc on the inside of the doors back-illuminated?

michael8554 said:
Totally agree with the design features you mention, in so much as they apply to my 2014 model.

Where would you locate the "gear lever" - you need something to select Reverse and Forward?
I fight with it to select Neutral, probably need to read the book.....:->

I rearranged some of the switches, adding a second CHRG button in full view at the end of the row behind the paddle, moving the display selector next to it (could do with a up the menus/down the menus functionality), and moving the Pedestrian Warning down to the lower row of buttons.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. As for the gear lever I wouldn't relocate, but replace it. I don't know about your vintage Outlander, but on my 2018, there appears to be no physical linkage to the drivetrain just a joystick type switch, therefore replace them with a F-N-R buttons on the dash or where the cupholder currently resides. I guess its a matter of taste.

I like that you took the initiative with relocating switches. I hope to do the same, as long as it doesn't invalidate my warranty.

Speaking of warranties: any group comments on dealing with Mitsubishi US over warranty issues???

Bob

I think a few of the issues you mention MIGHT be fixed with current software updates. Ask the dealer to make sure you have the latest.

I agree with the shift lever. I never use neutral, just press the brake or select park. BTW, if you haven't used it yet, use the "auto hold" button or whatever it's called (right behind the ebrake button) ... very useful.

I wonder if the console display has been designed for shorter (Japanese?) people? I find myself looking though the steering wheel onto the dash to avoid the cross-spokes.

As to the engine running ... when it hits this time of year I just get used to the ICE running lots. That's where the heat is coming from.

Best,

mellobob said:
I think a few of the issues you mention MIGHT be fixed with current software updates. Ask the dealer to make sure you have the latest.

I agree with the shift lever. I never use neutral, just press the brake or select park. BTW, if you haven't used it yet, use the "auto hold" button or whatever it's called (right behind the ebrake button) ... very useful.

I wonder if the console display has been designed for shorter (Japanese?) people? I find myself looking though the steering wheel onto the dash to avoid the cross-spokes.

As to the engine running ... when it hits this time of year I just get used to the ICE running lots. That's where the heat is coming from.

Best,

Hi Bob,

Thanks for responding, I'll check the firmware version. What is the most recent version for North America, does anyone know?

Funny you should mention it, I just tried the "Auto Hold" feature last night. It's a godsend in traffic, and I think possibly more economical too as I often see the Vehicle Info display show power output to the wheels when motionless, unless I'm hard on the brake. This feature seems to stop that from happening.

I do agree with climate control and ICE. When the battery saver feature doesn't engage, I have used the climate control to "force" the vehicle into ICE mode, especially on the freeway, but temperatures in the 30-40F range should not trigger ICE unless it is needed my another system (climate, traction battery).

I was truly amazed with the cold spell we had (temperatures as low as 17F) that the ICE ***DID NOT*** kick in with the climate control off. My 2011 Volt would insist on running the ICE when it was below 25F.

As far as staring at the driver cluster, you may be right, but I'm probably average Japanese height, so I wouldn't have notice it, LOL.

Thanks again for the input, everyone.

Bob

Personally, I like the joystick. Coming from a non-auto car it gives me something to do with my left hand and it feels sooo sexy. :lol:

However, the hazard switch is VERY important here in UK. It allows you to park illegally and metaphorically stick 2 fingers up (single finger in US) to drivers you have just "cut up" with an ironical "thank you" to them for not "rear ending" you. Of course, we don't have the personal firearms you have to enable us to take more effective action. :twisted:

After we bought the car, it only took 30min for my wife to declare Outlander is her car. I don’t hear she complains anything you listed here :)

And since I rarely get to drive it, I don’t have much to say either.

I do have a comment about the Mitsubishi road assistant:
Some how they were able to teach my wife how to pump air into all tires when I was out of town. She was very proud of herself after the flat tire light was off.

Tai

greendwarf said:
Personally, I like the joystick. Coming from a non-auto car it gives me something to do with my left hand and it feels sooo sexy. :lol:

However, the hazard switch is VERY important here in UK. It allows you to park illegally and metaphorically stick 2 fingers up (single finger in US) to drivers you have just "cut up" with an ironical "thank you" to them for not "rear ending" you. Of course, we don't have the personal firearms you have to enable us to take more effective action. :twisted:

Completely agree. Plus it activates invisible mode, rendering any parking restriction null and void.

I see some of you like the joystick gearshift, I prefer to use the joystick god gave me, but to each their own. :D

As for hazard indicators, they are under utilized in the US, they only time I tend see them is when a vehicle is stuck on the side of the road. I use them when driving in poor visibility conditions, but that tends to be the exception. And yes personal firearms are more effective at communicating than hazard indicators. :lol:

Perhaps I would like the joystick better if someone on this group could tell me how to activate the weapons system...

promobob1965 said:
they only time I tend see them is when a vehicle is stuck on the side of the road.

you mean the only time that they should be used?

promobob1965 said:
I use them when driving in poor visibility conditions, but that tends to be the exception.

there's a reason for that - it's a stupid idea. headlights are more than adequate for the front, and the rear has foglights for those times of low visibilty (with appropriate caveats)

I genuinely did not know that, about hazard indicators. I guess even an old dog like me can learn a new trick. I must have gotten sidetracked by learning lessons of tact and courtesy.

Thank you littlescrote!

Bob

Not entirely true, hazards are often used when the traffic has come to an abrupt standstill, many modern cars switch them on automatically during emergency braking. I don’t think the outlander does though.

It differs by country. I drive in Malawi from time to time an there the hazard lights mean:

1. I'm stopping but my brake lights are broken
2. I am driving an overloaded pickup
3. I am greeting my friend who is in the next house
4. I have broken down and am gathering branches to put on the road
5. (to oncoming traffic); You cannot overtake as here is something around the bend behind me.
6. I'm stopping with my rear all across the road to pick up even more passengers/luggage/goats/chickens.

Right hand indicator means:
1. I'm happily driving along. Did you see me?
2. I might turn right in front of you
3. You cannot overtake
4. I'm going to swerve around that goat.

Left hand indicator means:
1. You can overtake but I cannot take responsibility for that truck I did not notice
2. I have no idea what I am going to do
3. All my other indicator lights are broken and I am going to do something.
4. My stalk is stuck

I usually hire a reliable local driver ;)

In the UK:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
Law RVLR reg 27

Often used as a "thankyou" eg from a driver you allowed to join your lane from another jammed lane.

I think I'd use them if I was being towed by a breakdown truck.

michael8554 said:
In the UK:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
Law RVLR reg 27

Often used as a "thankyou" eg from a driver you allowed to join your lane from another jammed lane.

I think I'd use them if I was being towed by a breakdown truck.

Oh dear, the lack of irony shows this must be an overseas visitor posing as British! Don't worry Brexit will soon weed them out. :lol:

greendwarf said:
Oh dear, the lack of irony shows this must be an overseas visitor posing as British! Don't worry Brexit will soon weed them out. :lol:

If I understand you correctly you are suggesting I am a non-UK citizen who will be deported when or if Brexit occurs?

I'm unclear what these sort of racist remarks have to do with clarifying the use of hazard warning lights or with PHEV design foibles.....?

michael8554 said:
greendwarf said:

If I understand you correctly you are suggesting I am a non-UK citizen who will be deported when or if Brexit occurs?

I'm unclear what these sort of racist remarks have to do with clarifying the use of hazard warning lights or with PHEV design foibles.....?

Lack of humour, as well - must be German :roll:

I'm still unclear why you made your comment in the first place.

My post was a deliberately non-ironic reply to the poster who didn't understand the use of the Hazard Warning Lights.

And I really enjoyed the humorous self-deprecating and non-personal replies from others.

IMO your strange idea of "humour" that targets an individual is not acceptable.

And adding an imojii doesn't make it acceptable.

Back