Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Electric shock when charging?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:14 am 

You won't feel a shock from the 12V system, you need upwards of 50V to feel a shock.

If it's only static then touching the same point soon afterwards should be shock free.

You could buy a basic volt meter for a fiver from a hardware store and measure the DC and AC volts from your shock point to an earth point.

240v AC will indicate a fault with the 240v mains charging system.

300 to 400V DC is an ev battery or drive system problem.

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:04 pm 

I would also test voltage to a temporary earth rod as mentioned above, if it’s 230V AC it could also be a fault with the EVSE wiring, so take it to another evse and do the same again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:34 pm 

Amazing information here guys, thank you. We have a 2015 phev. We reported the information to a local Mitsubishi dealer here in Sydney australia and they are trying to say the problem is simply in wear and tear from the charger cable. It doesn't make sense to me though that the car shouldn't insulate electricity from the cable though, unless there's an internal insulation issue. My shock wasn't from touching the cable. They are asking to have my car for 3 days to run tests, but I'm thinking I should get it independantley assessed and word myself up in the technology before handing it over. A guy said this issue had been reported before, thus my post here.
To me it figures that if I got a shock from the latch in the bottom of the boot, the internals of the car are faulty, not the cable. So if I got a shock whilst it was charging, could I also get a shock whilst it was running, and not plugged in?
Also, I'm still alive but my hand tingled for a good 15 minutes after.. Thanks for checking!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:10 am 

Well, it has not been reported before in this forum.
It is very hard to see how an insulation fault in the charger cable (which would be obvious by visual inspection anyway) could in any way produce an electric shock from the car. I guess that they are trying to tell you in a gentle way that they are clueless.
I personally would refuse to drive the car until the fault was found and repaired.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:22 am 

Agree completely with jaapv, there is no way you should get any kind of shock of this car, or any other car for that matter. It needs tracing and fixing immediately.

GX3h+ From February 2016
Atlantic Grey
Based in Letchworth - 30K+ pa Company Car

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:18 am 

I suggest you get an electrician in to check the earthing arrangements for the charger and for your house!

When I renovated my house a while back I discovered that there was no house main earth! :o
There is now. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 am 

5 years of 2 Mitsubishis' latest 2019, plugged in heavy rain, never had a problem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:38 pm 

Tipper wrote:
I suggest you get an electrician in to check the earthing arrangements for the charger and for your house!

When I renovated my house a while back I discovered that there was no house main earth! :o
There is now. :lol:

I'd like to second this one.

Same story, when I bought my house, the first thing I did was check the earth on all the power points.

One side of the house had no Earth connection.

It is possible that your car is revealing a fault in your home electrics.

(However, this should have been discovered when your charging point was being installed.)

1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:30 am 

If the car gives an electric shock because of a faulty home circuit, it will almost certainly trip the ground circuit breaker on properly installed electrics. This happening on the car side of the charging unit can hardly be because of a fault on the home circuit side. It would mean that there would be current on the ground wire into the car. It probably wouldn't even switch on the charger.
I think it is most likely that moisture is producing an earth leak in the charging wiring in the car. Possibly the home ground circuit breaker in the house is malfunctioning (although not necessarily, the car is isolated from the ground by the tyres)

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:35 am 

Thanks jaapv, I was struggling to think of a situation where there is a short on the car that wouldn't blow the fuse, and leakage due to moisture would be one.

I would imagine that a cheap voltage meter would detect volts to a metal rod in wet earth.

Wiltshire UK