Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/

Electric shock when charging?
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4768
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Zoya5 [ Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Electric shock when charging?

Hi all,

Has anyone had an electric shock from their vehicle when it was charging? Or heard of this fault? Feel free to dm me.
TiA

Author:  jaapv [ Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

As the current is only switched on after the plug is fully pressed home, that is quite impossible.

Author:  Sumpy [ Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

Hi Zoya5,
The quick answer is no, never experienced or heard of it happening.
I sometimes used to get static electric shocks from my previous car (Diesel X-Trail), getting in or out and touching the metal frame on the door, but I have never had any since getting my Outlander, 3 years ago (Happy days :D ).
I have never had any problems with charging the car, even in heavy rain. The only time I don't plug in is during thunderstorms (although the car will have some form of cut-out protection if it was hit directly, but I don't, so I err on the side of caution).

Author:  Zoya5 [ Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

I can verify that once the plug was all the way in and the car was charging, I definitely received an electric, not static shock from touching the metal boot clasp ring in the vehicle. My husband replicated the shock at a later stage....so very much possible! Anyone know how this might have happened?

Author:  Steel188 [ Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

May I ask where in the world you are located and how old is your car? Also, what do you mean by ‘metal boot clasp ring’?

Regardless of this information, I think an urgent visit to your dealer is required to get this rectified, you should not be getting electric shocks off the vehicle.

Author:  greendwarf [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

Might be from the 12v battery :idea:

Author:  jaapv [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

Zoya5 wrote:
I can verify that once the plug was all the way in and the car was charging, I definitely received an electric, not static shock from touching the metal boot clasp ring in the vehicle. My husband replicated the shock at a later stage....so very much possible! Anyone know how this might have happened?

That is definitely not normal. Even if the car is charging, the Mennekes type 2 plug is splash-watertight and will not be the cause of an electric shock. I suspect that there is a fault in the wiring of the car and you should have it checked out ASAP. Maybe a 300V lead has the isolation wearing through against a metal part, which could lead to a life-threatening situation. Until then wear rubber gloves when touching one of the suspect parts. And dry rubber-soled shoes.

Author:  jaapv [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

Steel188 wrote:
May I ask where in the world you are located and how old is your car? Also, what do you mean by ‘metal boot clasp ring’?

Regardless of this information, I think an urgent visit to your dealer is required to get this rectified, you should not be getting electric shocks off the vehicle.

I suspect it is the metal loop in the rear sill of the boot that is the female part of the lock.
That is bolted to the body of the car, and is a solid mass contact.

Author:  VillageIdiotDan [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

Anyone able to comment on IF this shock is coming from the drive battery whether the OP would be alive to be commenting about it on this forum? :)

Maybe a wiire from the 12V starter battery is exposed, touching the frame and causing the shock?...not sure if you can tell but my username isnt VillageElectricianDan!

post-note: ah green dwaft already volunteered the 12V battery.

Author:  jaapv [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Electric shock when charging?

I have had plenty of 240V shocks in my life, and I am still alive and commenting on the forum :lol:
Actually I know a guy who had a live 50.000 V wire fall on his head. Cost him a hefty burn, a skin graft and some hair loss, but he survived.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/