4WD lock and transmission windup

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThudnBlundr

I had to park on a steep grass verge at a recent party, so I stuck the 4WD lock on before reversing up onto the verge. Of course, the 4WD lock button is one of the few (?only) buttons that remembers its setting when the car is switched off :roll: and I later drove home with it still in 4WD. I reversed up our drive and round in front of the garage and turned the car off. There was a noticeable "clunk" from the rear of the car. I turned the car back on and noticed that the 4WD lock was still engaged and turned it off. When I started the car again the following morning and put it into 'D', there was another "clunk" from the rear, as if a drive pawl were disengaging under pressure.

I realise that there is no centre diff or locking diffs on the axles, so I'm perplexed what the wind-up might be. I do reverse round a 90 degree corner, but without any diff locks, I'm not sure why it would cause an issue. Is there a locking pawl on the rear axle motor?

Other owners have found that loud clunks from the rear indicated motor mount failures.

I've experienced this exactly once.

(A single loud clunk)

:(

ThudnBlundr said:
I had to park on a steep grass verge at a recent party, so I stuck the 4WD lock on before reversing up onto the verge. Of course, the 4WD lock button is one of the few (?only) buttons that remembers its setting when the car is switched off :roll: and I later drove home with it still in 4WD. I reversed up our drive and round in front of the garage and turned the car off. There was a noticeable "clunk" from the rear of the car. I turned the car back on and noticed that the 4WD lock was still engaged and turned it off. When I started the car again the following morning and put it into 'D', there was another "clunk" from the rear, as if a drive pawl were disengaging under pressure.

I realise that there is no centre diff or locking diffs on the axles, so I'm perplexed what the wind-up might be. I do reverse round a 90 degree corner, but without any diff locks, I'm not sure why it would cause an issue. Is there a locking pawl on the rear axle motor?
The "P" brake. It can produce quite alarming clunks.

I'm fairly sure the parking pawl is on the front transmission, and it would not jolt when the car is switched off on level ground. I've had it when parked on a slope and the handbrake has slipped slightly, and it was from around my feet. This was definitely at the rear.

I was worried it might be a loose/broken mounting, but I can't see anything obvious by crawling underneath it. Maybe a visit to a ramp is in order. This is the only time it's happened, so I'm not sure why 4WD lock would trigger it.

Back