Has anyone installed a driver's seat memory switch?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIKERMGA

I miss the seat memory we had on our Chrysler T and C. It is a PITA to reset the seat after my wife adjusts it for her height and leg length. Has anyone installed a memory switch? if so I would like to know where it was sourced from, and what was involved in fitting it.

Thanks.

How do you propose that such a switch would work? There needs to be a microcontroller with memory function programmed in, and that is not part of the car in the first place so there is nothing to interface a switch to.

You might be able to get everything that you need out of a different Mitsubishi that does have that function, but you'll be lucky if the wiring loom interfaces.

Don’t let your wife drive the car, then the seat will be in the right position. Fixed :p

Not only seat, but also mirrors/temperature/radio/Eco/B5/Auto Brake/Cellphone/Charge timer/etc..And most important of all: a different car exterior color!

I am thinking to buy another PHEV just for me: RED one, of course. :)

Tai

BIKERMGA said:
I was hoping the memory 'chip' would come with the switch. Anyone else got something to add?
And where would this chip get its information from? The current system has no knowledge of where the seat is - it just moves it until it hits a cut-off. So you'd need to add position readers to the various motors within the seat.

ThudnBlundr said:
BIKERMGA said:
I was hoping the memory 'chip' would come with the switch. Anyone else got something to add?
And where would this chip get its information from? The current system has no knowledge of where the seat is - it just moves it until it hits a cut-off. So you'd need to add position readers to the various motors within the seat.

However, the cut-off sensors are there. The motor is stopped when it hits cut-off. So it would be possible to do some algorithm so it first runs all settings to cut-off maximum, then back up "a bit". Probably would work reasonably well if just time based, back up 0.5 seconds etc..

Some Arduino enthusiast would code such thing in minutes. :)

There must be two end stops. If there are only two drivers, see if you can move the end stops to describe each position.
Of course, that would also limit any adjustment to those positions, so set them a little beyond each extreme, then nudge back after it's moved to the other position.
The easiest solution, if not another car, may be to swap the wife. :D

However, the cut-off sensors are there. The motor is stopped when it hits cut-off. So it would be possible to do some algorithm so it first runs all settings to cut-off maximum, then back up "a bit". Probably would work reasonably well if just time based, back up 0.5 seconds etc..

Some Arduino enthusiast would code such thing in minutes. :)

You would need some current sensors so you could detect when the motors have stopped. Then just run them them back for a time delay set by the current driver somehow. This means every time you change drivers you wait while seat goes all the way back then partially forward. It would give the motors a good workout. Unless there is room for linear encoders! :D

Seems easy, but in practice a bit more challenging. I did something similar for a car manufacturer so they could operate sunroofs before they are installed in the car. Lots of black magic.

Many cars roll the seat back when door is opened, to make entering or exiting the car easier. So is possible to find the limit at that point. Then when turning ignition, drive seat forward to desired position.

Still too much work, though. :)

I know this is an old post, but I've just come across a possible solution on another forum. It's a kit for a hyundai or kia, but it may alos work on the outlander?

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/installing-memory-seats.666742/ has a youtube video, its fairly straightforward to follow how it works even if you don't speak German
https://youtu.be/LCvuh6wJbQA
and the site where to buy it for €435 https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/3-fach-memory-sitzsteuerung-fuer-hyundai-tucson-kona-kia-sportage/1295079474-223-1381

I've no idea if this specific one is suitable for an outlander, and it is expensive IMO, but it does show it is possible

littlescrote said:
How do you propose that such a switch would work? There needs to be a microcontroller with memory function programmed in, and that is not part of the car in the first place so there is nothing to interface a switch to.

You might be able to get everything that you need out of a different Mitsubishi that does have that function, but you'll be lucky if the wiring loom interfaces.

With any luck the seat will just require power; the memory computer for the seats are often bolted to the bottom of the seat. You might even get lucky and find it plugs straight into the same loom if the donor car is built in the same factory

Back