Android Auto Samsung Galaxy A50

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDetroit

Hi everyone. Just bought a 2019 Phev Outlander. Im having problems connecting my wifes phone with Android Auto. She has a Samsung Galaxy A50. The phone registers its connected, and says android auto is running. But the PHEV doesnt register it. My galaxy S10e connects no problem. Hmmmm.... Anyone got any ideas?

DrDetroit said:
Hi everyone. Just bought a 2019 Phev Outlander. Im having problems connecting my wifes phone with Android Auto. She has a Samsung Galaxy A50. The phone registers its connected, and says android auto is running. But the PHEV doesnt register it. My galaxy S10e connects no problem. Hmmmm.... Anyone got any ideas?

Samsung Galaxy A50 is not on the compatible list. Whereas your S10 e is on the list. I have seen this before with another Galaxy phone.
It was a brand new phone ( but not a brand new model ) supplied buy his employer, but not compatible with SDA.

You could try connecting phone before SDA powers up, or even before you press the start button.

Or try Start car, unlock phone, then connect to USB. Different procedures work for different phones.

Also try another cable. Some cheaper brands of cable have caused issues.

Samsung Galaxy A50 is not on the compatible list. Whereas your S10 e is on the list. I have seen this before with another Galaxy phone.

I understood that any Android 5.0+ phone will work over a USB connection, whereas only a limited number of phones support the WiFi connection?

I had a problem getting my Samsung J3 working: Firstly, I had forgotten to pair the phone with the car's Bluetooth. Without pairing, the car detects that there is an android auto phone present, but cannot establish a link.

Secondly, I was low on storage which was causing the app to crash without warning as soon as the car tried to initiate a link. After I removed a couple of other apps to free up space, Android Auto began working immediately, including running Google Maps as sat nav (which I presume is quite resource heavy).

SDA only supports apps etc over USB connection. You can still connect phone via bluetooth and use bluetooth audio.

Not all android phones are compatible with all or any of the functions

I had exactly the same problem connecting my Samsung A50 to my Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross and after much searching on the internet found the answer which worked for me:

Unplug your phone from the car.
Open the Android Auto app on your phone.
Select Menu Settings Connected cars.
Untick the box next to the 'Add new cars to Android Auto' setting.
Try plugging your phone into the car again.

A simple fix which also solved the problem connecting this phone to another vehicle

I changed to a Samsung Galaxy A50 a few months ago, and found it relatively painless. The only thing I have seen is sometimes Android Auto won't connect if the phone is plugged in right away, before the car display has fully booted up. I have gotten into the habit of waiting and plugging in the USB after the car displays the "I agree" screen. This is a bit annoying if the car is turned off for a few minutes like at a gas station, but oh well.

The only other quirk with Android Auto is sometimes when I have it read an incoming text and then respond using voice commands, the phone will lock up. I have to restart it then it's okay again.

On short trips I just use Bluetooth and it's fine there as well. Only one weak spot - the Bluetooth screen's fast forward and rewind buttons don't work, whereas with my old phone they did. Basically showing that the A50 is not as powerful. It was a good price though and is good enough for what I need.

There is another settin in Android Auto which may be of interest. I was having trouble when connecting my Sony Xperia ZX1, it kept connecting and disconnecting, saying there was a problem with the USB connection.
I think this was because there was conflict with my home WIFI which was in range.
In the Android Auto settings there is an option "Limit WIFI" - to turn WIFI off when the app is running through your car's USB.
I enabled this, and had no more problems.

I

I recently did the upgrade for the Galaxy A50 to Android 10. Sure enough it broke the Remote Control app. The app would appear to connect, but would stay red which means no communication. The phone showed it was connected to REMOTE34---- with no internet, which seemed proper, but the app was not aware.

Fix was to uninstall then re-install, then re-register with the car. Since the car already gave "two beeps", (previous phone was there as well as the current phone), I had to delete all phones using the 5 key fob lock/unlocks then 10 more lock/unlocks method. Then I deleted and re-installed the app, re-registered and it started working again. The only side effect (other than time and frustration) was that the charge timers were all deleted. Once they were re-entered, the app showed them properly too.

Here's hoping no more upgrades for a while :).

2018 Canadian SE

I had more issues with the connection. USB connection kept dropping out and reconnecting.

Eventually I decided to uninstall Android Auto and reinstall, then I had to go into settings on the app and select 'Connected cars', then 'Add new cars to Android Auto'.

You would think it would have that as the default option!

Anyhow, it then recognised my car, and the app connected successfully and now appears to be working OK.

Back