Parking Brake Adjustment

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhals

So after replacing my rear brake discs and pads, i found the handbrake was barely holding. I adjusted the nut by the handbrake lever and got some hold back, however I was concerned as when releasing it the car was moving asymmetrically. True enough, when I got the wheels off the ground, the rear passengers side wheel wasnt holding dead like the drivers side. The car has been in for the parking brake recall and both parking brake levers have 'G' stamped near the nut which suggests they were actually changed over.

Does the caliper itself have any method of adjustment? On old cars I'm used to poking a flat head screw driver through the adjustment hole in the disc and adjusting the caliper that way, but the Outlander doesn't seem to have anything to adjust. Reluctant to take it back to the main dealers as they charge a fortune - the car is a 2014 so out of warranty.

Sorry, I should have said - the brake recall was done around a year ago and the handbrake was working fine on both wheels prior to me replacing discs and pads.

markhals said:
So after replacing my rear brake discs and pads, i found the handbrake was barely holding. I adjusted the nut by the handbrake lever and got some hold back, however I was concerned as when releasing it the car was moving asymmetrically. True enough, when I got the wheels off the ground, the rear passengers side wheel wasnt holding dead like the drivers side. The car has been in for the parking brake recall and both parking brake levers have 'G' stamped near the nut which suggests they were actually changed over.

Does the caliper itself have any method of adjustment? On old cars I'm used to poking a flat head screw driver through the adjustment hole in the disc and adjusting the caliper that way, but the Outlander doesn't seem to have anything to adjust. Reluctant to take it back to the main dealers as they charge a fortune - the car is a 2014 so out of warranty.

I would try removing the pads again.
Totally release handbrake adjuster nut on lever.
Then wind both pistons back all the way and align the pin with the slots.
Refit pads.
Pump pedal firmly at least 10 times to reseat pads.
Now try operating handbrake. Do not pull up until pads have been reseated
Then try adjusting again.

The gap between the levers on the calipers and the stops should be equal both sides. There will be a gap with the handbrake fully off, they never return all the way to the stops

DibbyDibbyDJ said:
markhals said:

I would try removing the pads again.
Totally release handbrake adjuster nut on lever.
Then wind both pistons back all the way and align the pin with the slots.
Refit pads.
Pump pedal firmly at least 10 times to reseat pads.
Now try operating handbrake. Do not pull up until pads have been reseated
Then try adjusting again.

The gap between the levers on the calipers and the stops should be equal both sides. There will be a gap with the handbrake fully off, they never return all the way to the stops

Thanks buddy, will give it a go. The job has been made slightly trickier by me stripping the adjusting nut on the lever :lol:

I suspect that your replacement caliper has also suffered from the same issue as the pre-recall ones, ie corrosion of the parking brake actuation shaft. My MY16 which is post the recall date has the same issue. Yours has started happening after changing pads as you've moved to the more recently unused part of the shaft.

Did you manage to get yours replaced again under warranty? I suspect if I ask them to do it as part of the recall again they'll tell me to do one.

I had a goodwill offer, but it was still more expensive than it would be to just do myself. I decided to just live with it and if I have to free it off now and again with a bit of penetrating fluid and a plastic mallet then I'll do that (particularly around MOT time). I now make a concerted effort to use the parking brake to exercise it, whereas before I'd just switch off and let the transmission brake do its thing.

the lever that is actuated by the parking brake cable that should spring back - you have to work it backwards and forwards to free up the shaft. it's really not anything to pop your eyes out at.

Update - I changed the offending caliper with an aftermarket unit off ebay for £50 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Outlander-MK3-2012-2019-Rear-Left-Brake-Caliper/353012844276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649). All sorted and working great so would recommend. The offending caliper had the stamp on in that suggested it had been replaced during the recall but I have my doubts. After getting it off and removing the spring, I could move the lever that was being pulled by the brake cable freely and see that it wasnt pushing the piston out to put the brakes on.

Picking up on the other piece of advice - regular use - I'm very old (literally) school and apply the handbrake when ever I stop (traffic lights etc,) rather than the modern style of holding with the footbrake, because I think it is inefficient and annoying to other motorists. "Use it or lose it" - as they say ;)

greendwarf said:
Picking up on the other piece of advice - regular use - I'm very old (literally) school and apply the handbrake when ever I stop (traffic lights etc,) rather than the modern style of holding with the footbrake, because I think it is inefficient and annoying to other motorists. "Use it or lose it" - as they say ;)
The issue I have is that putting on the handbrake (lever) on our 2015 car doesn't disconnect the power, whereas having your foot on the brake pedal does. I know I could knock it into 'P' or 'N', but then it loses some of the drive settings, which are a PITA to reset every time...

TBH I only use the handbrake when parking on an incline

Ah - obviously not as "old school" as me. I always follow my original training of into neutral & handbrake on when stopping. Gives me something to do with my hands other than play with my smart 'phone. :ugeek:

I've never heard of using the handbrake when stopped at a light, etc. And I've been driving for well over 50 years. Is this British thing?

However, I have a 2018 PHEV with electric brake and the <hold> is a great option. Just stop at a light and pull up the switch ... now the brake comes on, and stays on, whenever you come to the a stop and releases when you tap the accelerator. My only complaint is that you have to enable it for each driving session.

Sure is - you'd fail your driving test if you didn't do it. However, until fairly recently auto transmission was something of a novelty this side of the pond. ;)

Still interesting ... I did my test, back in about 1965, with an old clunker which manual transmission :) Mind you, with the junk we used to drive I'm not sure they all had emergency/park brakes :p

Just got a letter from Mitsubishi (Ireland) telling me my (UK import) Outlander has been identified for recall. The letter states "In a limited number of vehicles, the rear brake caliper shaft can become stuck due to water intrusion. Worst case scenario parking brake force might be decreased and the parked vehicle might move."

So that's me in for a free rear brake adjustment then.... Have to say I noticed the parking brake has got quite slack lately, compared to what it was, but I don't park on hills enough to notice a problem.

Back