Regulo

Switch blanking plates

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:50 am

I recently wanted to install a switch (don't ask), and thought I'd use one of the several spare positions on the dash switch panels. I thought the blanking plugs would be just that - blanking plugs. To my surprise, every one of them has a wiring loom connection, complete with wiring, I presume for factory fitted options, LDW, FCM etc. Anyone know where I can get a proper simple blanking plug? I could just unplug the loom connector off the back of one and then saw off the actual connector part on the back of the blank plug, I suppose. I don't foresee myself or any future owner sending the car back to Mitsu to have the options fitted, but who knows?
Regards, Ray. 2014 GX4H Glacier blue.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

Mitch

Re: Switch blanking plates

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 am

I bought one at alibaba, which fits perfekt in the slot and has the "original" design.
Greetings
Markus :)

2019 Top

DibbyDibbyDJ

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 am

Dont bother about "sawing" off the plug, Just tape it back on itself and use the blanking plug already there.

It will not be used for anything else ever.

All accessories available will have their own plugs and will not use the ones on the factory harness.
2018 Triton

roly

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Interesting to read this - can anyone confirm if new models (i.e. 20MY) still have plugs and looms for factory options which are not actually fitted?

DibbyDibbyDJ

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:54 pm

roly wrote:Interesting to read this - can anyone confirm if new models (i.e. 20MY) still have plugs and looms for factory options which are not actually fitted?
Yes they do. All Mitsubishis do.
2018 Triton

Bmtouring

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:03 am

There are unused plugs elsewhere too. A quick search under the hood will show you about three at least. In the rear behind the walls of plastic there are more.

You'll need to get the wiring diagram and a lot of patience to figure out what goes where and for what.

When I look at how the car is put together, you'd better get a bag of plastic fastners, plugs, push-pins from Ali for japanese cars and then you can pull it all apart. Lots of space behind all the plastic to put new wiring from switch to accessory.

Don't know if its worth installing OEM stuff though, what I see in pricing that is overly expensive for the comfort it brings. There usually are aftermarket solutions that do the service. Any integration that needs the MMCS is hardly preferable either: too slow and cumbersome to use as a non-japanese-IT-team-logics-brains European.

Return to “Technical Discussions”