Front and Rear LED lights

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackV12

Hi,

I had my 2015 Mitsubishi PHEV (facelift model) in the garage for them to replace the entire EV cooling system, as it was clogged. After a week in the garage they rang to say the car was ready. However they noticed that the front drivers side LED sidelight and the rear (manual says its LED) tail light are inoperative.

I did convert the front dipped headlights from halogen to LED back in October last year. The garage have "suggested" that the LED conversion might have "knocked out" the side/rear light. I countered that if that was the issue, why was only the drivers side (right hand drive) affected and not the passenger side. Also I had not noticed the lights issue before I booked the car in for the EV cooling system to be fixed.

I have swapped the dipped LED lights back to halogen and the front drivers side LED sidelight and the rear tail light are still inoperative.

Suggestions on what I can check would be appreciated. Otherwise I have to wait till 17th March to get the garage to fix it.

Regulo said:
This any help?
Apparently, the front "position" (sidelights) are fed from the tail lamp control circuit!

Makes sense that both the tail and the side (position) lights are the the same circuit and seperate left from right - hence the passengers side is still working and the fault is isolated to the drivers side. I can't tell from the diagram which fuse/relay I could check.

Can you confirm?

Greg

Tracing these circuits back, they're all fed from an 80 Amp fusible link, connected to the auxillary battery positive terminal. If everything else is working, it looks like a bad connection, or a bad ETACS unit.

Thanks Ray - good job I have a warranty. In that case I will let the garage figure it out and update the post with their findings.

Greg

One other thing I have noticed - if I hit the open car button on the fob, the led position light (front) and the rear tail light flash 3 times. It would tend to suggest the lights are working, to a degree.

That is puzzling! This is pointing to some weird goings on in the ETACS unit, to me. Please keep us informed of the outcome.

Good luck, I think you may have a fight on your hands. The fitting of aftermarket LED headlamps is dubious at best and will likely invalidate any warranty; certainly any company worth their salt would throw a claim like this in the bin with glee.
I also wouldn’t be surprised if similar issues would be found in any insurance claim where this could have an impact (like at night).

Is it really worth this much hassle?

LOL - this was the same excuse a previous dealer tried when my car went into lip home mode and I fitted a HID kit. Turns out it was the turbo...

I will report back what the dealer finds when it goes back in the garage 18th March.

Lol? Ok, as I said good luck I hope you’re right. Difference here is while there’s clearly no connection between the wrong lamps being fitted and a turbo, it would be difficult to argue that there’s no connection between non type approved lamps being fitted and the side lights.

You’ve clearly changed part of a system which you now expect to be covered by the manufacturers warranty, they may honor it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.

Before the lock down I took my PHEV to the dealer. After 4 days they replaced the ETACS unit. No difference. The dealer then said they have disconnected the towbar electrics and the issue had gone. As the lockdown was starting the next day either I picked up the car or it would be locked in the dealer garage. I picked the car up.

I called the towbar guy, he came out inspected the disconnected towbar electrics and pointed out the fault was still there and was therefore nothing to do with him - good point - I should have checked it out before leaving the garage.

Phoned the garage this morning as they open now. Waiting for them to call me back.....they are going to find the original mechanic who declared the car "fixed".

Ok car has been back to the dealers. The ETACS unit was replaced and the garage blamed the tow-bar electrics. Yes as per previous post, the ETACS feeds the each side of the sidelights, left and right, separately and there is no fuse. Not encountered this before.

Dealer disconnected the tow-bar electrics and all the lights worked. The dealer blamed a bulb in the glove box, which is part of the drivers side, side light circuit being blown, that "may have caused the issue". This does not sense.

As the dealer proved everything was working I took the car to the tow-bar guy. He repeated that those electrics are powered straight off the battery. He reconnected the tow-bar electrics - no issues. He took the bulb out of the glove box - no issues.

So the cars electrics are fully working but I have no clue if the fault will reoccur as no party will confirm what the initial root cause of the problem was/is.

Back