Engine light after level 2 charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matth

Just bought a brand new (floor model) 2019 PHEV

Also bought a Morec 240v 16A level 2 charger (should be perfect as I read the onboard charger is only 3.7kwh and this is 3.6kwh). The charger is plugged into a dedicated 20A 240v circuit I had put in just for the car.

After charging the engine light comes on. Dealership is saying it's my non-mistubishi charger causing the issue. Anyone else have an issues with an after market charger causing the engine light to turn on?

I posted in mods & accessories as well for suggested charger models people have used with success at home.

Not sure what you mean by the engine light.
How is it described in the Instruction Manual.?

The "Charger" simply supplies 240v to the real charger in the car.
When you plug into the car, various parameters are checked by the car before instructing the "Charger" to go Clunk and supply 240v to the car.
So it's hard to imagine what could go wrong, but it's not impossible.
Depends what the Engine Light signifies.

The light that comes on is the "Check Engine Light".
The dealership told me the fault code was related to the charger being faulty, but they didn't specify the specific code.

I did a partial charge today after they reset it the 2nd time, and it didn't happen. So far it seems to only happen if I leave the charger plugged in overnight.

While the check engine light was on, I didn't get a range estimation (all dashes) and I couldn't use the 120V plugs. Everything else seemed to work normally though.

Perhaps the "charger", or the car charger, isn't closing down correctly at the end of a full overnight charge, but is okay on partial charges?

I'm sure you don't want to risk another visit to the dealers, but you do need a reliable charging system.

So try another full charge and risk the visit.

Or buy a used Mitsu Yazaki "charger" off the Bay, and if that works sell on or return the other one as faulty.

Thanks Michael,

my Vgate OBD2 Car Pro 4 came in last night so I decided to play around with it (as I could clear the codes). about 50% of the time the charger seemed to trigger the fault.

I'm returning it and purchased a bosch ev200. Bit more than I wanted to spend but it's on the "supported" list from the dealership, so if there is an issue now they won't be able to blame me. (they were nice about it the last time but still just in case there is something wrong with the new car I'd like to put the ball back in their court).

Thanks for the responses it helped.

Well done, and I've learned a lot too.

I would suggest you buy a 30 Amp EVSE to future-proof your eventual BEV :)

The PHEV will automatically draw16 of the available 30 Amps, my EVSE is 30 Amp capable

Glad to see the code.
I am surprised that even with TUV, the EVSE still can cause issue to our car! Maybe it is quality control, but I would not take the risk.

The NEMA 6-20P actually is the perfect fit for our car. No room to future proof, thou.

Tai

Argh..

Not the Morec Charger it seems. Electrician came a day early to install the Bosch EV200. Plugged it in, triggered the Engine light fault immediately and stopped charging the car (one thing I will say for the Morec, is it still charged the car, whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure).

Fault code is P1af7.

I've never been so disappointed in a car purchase, it only has 362 KM, and it had this issue since I bought it at 82km.

Oh dear, that's not good:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander_iii/online/Service_Manual_2013/2014/54/html/M154921390003800ENG.HTM

Well, seeing that there is checking procedure and a solution there, I wouldn't call it "not good" The only thing needed is for the dealer to actually read the manual.

So far they haven't charge me anything (I think I would have blown up if they did, I owned it for less than a week the first time).

Not to mention when they sold me the car it had flat spots on the tires, they forgot to give me the level 1 charging cable and now this..

I take it in Monday for them to fix it for real. If they fail to a 3rd time, I might have to pursue the idea that they should swap me for another 2019 on their lot (they still have 3).

matth said:
So far they haven't charge me anything (I think I would have blown up if they did, I owned it for less than a week the first time).

Not to mention when they sold me the car it had flat spots on the tires, they forgot to give me the level 1 charging cable and now this..

I take it in Monday for them to fix it for real. If they fail to a 3rd time, I might have to pursue the idea that they should swap me for another 2019 on their lot (they still have 3).

I believe this is part of the new world, where dealers remove items from a car and then try to charge extra to put them back in.

The dealer that supplied mine, removed the rear cargo blind and offered to sell it back to me.

I asked them how much time they'd like to spend in court, and it was immediately returned at no charge.

They probably thought they were being clever, but the result is twofold.

1. I don't take the car there for servicing.
2. I will never purchase anything from them again.

This dealer probably doesn’t have the level 2 charger to test the code. How does they miss the diagnosis just blaming EVSE that not on the list? It is a long way until dealers learn how to deal with (PH) EVs. After all these years, I still feel like an early adopter...

Tai

Ya, it's getting close to needing a 2 computer deploma to with your automotive college program.

ugh.. Sitting in the dealership, mechanic scans the code (same one as when this debacle started). "It's the charger"

me:
"how is that possible when I installed one off your list?"
them:
"I don't know I have to call Mitsubishi and ask them"
me:
"Well plug it into the level 2 in the repair bay in and see if it faults" (I can clearly see a charging station)
them:
"well it won't because it's a mitsubishi charger"
me:
"just do it and let me know"

just waiting for them to take their heads out of the sand and admit there is a problem.

now I know how frustrating it is to work with bad IT (I'm an IT professional so I hate it when people pass the buck without doing anything).

Guy finally did it, it didn't fault (I asked him to do it a couple times).

I asked them for a loaner PHEV, and told them to hold onto it while they call Mitsubishi Canada.

I plugged in their loaner with the Bosch, no problems.

Maybe their charger isn't 16A, or they need a firmware update, either way something still seems wrong with my car.

So the dealer actually DOES have a level 2 charger...

Here is my buying experience with dealer:

I went to show room and test drove a black one just a week before taking my wife to sign the paperwork. We were buying a white one. I then asked my wife to test drive it. For my surprise, the guessometer showed —-...They didn’t even want charge PHEV for a test drive! When it’s my turn to give the feedback to MMNA, I checked the box that said we did NOT receive the new car with full tank and I suggested a ChaDeMo in the dealership.

Ok, they don’t sell that much PHEV to justify the chademo station, but the Tech not willing to hook up the level 2 to verify a code is beyond my comprehension.

Hope you get this issue solved and start enjoying the car. In my case, I have to wait until my wife gets tired of it, then it is my turn. I am still waiting, after 2 years :)

Tai

Dealership gave me a GT phev to drive for 2 days while they drove mine so we could compare notes.

I had no issues driving/charging their car, and they couldn't reproduce it on mine either.

I drove mine home, so far it's been fine after 1 charge... we'll wait and see.

I am partly wondering if it's the DC-DC converter. based on the code it's one of the things to check, and when I first received the car, the 12v aux battery was low and caused the engine light to come on.
(why they never charged it, is beyond me, it's a showroom car, I'd expect there to be a list things to check, Aux battery being one of them).

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it, I like the car. Giving me the GT for 2 days is making me miss the 360 view and adaptive cruise control though.

Back