Decoding the manual

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloggsy

Hi folks - I'm hoping someone can help me understand the terminology used in the manual.

Basically, I'm doing some of the fluid changes myself to save a bit of money!

On page 12-11, it states that I need 2.2 litres of CVTF-J4 for Front Motor Fluid, and 3.46 litres of ATF-SP3 for Front Transaxle Fluid and 0.85 litres of ATF-SP3 for Rear Transaxle Fluid.

Am I right in assuming that Transaxle is the Differential? I've found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBJ5dnm6wc8

and it looks okay and fairly simple to do (there's an associated video for the rear axle). :D

However, I've seen so many videos I'm getting confused as to what the Front Motor is! Some videos have said it gets filled by the dipstick but I can only see a dipstick for the engine oil :?:

Sorry folks, I managed it on my last car but I didn't want to risk putting the wrong fluid in! :oops:

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Bloggsy

I've spent nearly the whole day but eventually found an electronic Service Manual for the 2014 PHEV, which I think my car model is, but it hasn't helped much - I still can't seem to find where I fill the CVT from! :cry:

It also started going on about how to change the Gear Oil with 80 weight hypoid oil (or something like that) so I'm still hoping one of you kind members will be able to confirm where the CVT fill is and if, as per my original post, the rear diff and front diff oil change is what is shown on the attached video (and, obviously, applies to my car) :(

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Bloggsy

I think you might need to clear up some terminology - the Outlander PHEV does not have a CVT gearbox. In fact it doesn't have a gearbox as such at all, just a clutch connecting the flywheel to the front diff through a fixed geartrain, in addition to the front motor coupled via the same GKN transmission unit.

Are you looking at the service manual for the diesel Outlander? That does have an automatic gearbox.

Hi richr - thanks for the reply and I think you're right about me looking at the incorrect engine! :oops:

I was looking at the Driver's Manual and in the fluids, it said that I needed CVTF-J4 for the Front Motor and then underneath, it said I needed ATF-SP3 for the Front and Rear Transfer cases.

When I looked online and for 'How To' videos, I saw the video for the Transfer Cases, but the exhaust layout was slightly different to what was underneath my car, but I could still see the Drain and Fill Plugs, however other videos that spoke about replacing the CVT Fluid, they all said that it should be re-filled through the Filler Tube with the dipstick (it had a white top).

However, when I looked at my engine, there was no filler tube and it had the EV Motor there. :?

I just went and ordered both CVTF-J4 and ATF-SP3 fluids because that what was in the Driver's Manual! :lol:

On reflection, I think I may have been premature and the Manual obviously covers different engines, so it will be for both PHEV's and Diesel engines.

Your confirmation that I don't have a gearbox [resumably means that I don't need the CVT Fluid then?

Thanks again!

Cheers

Bloggsy

The transaxle fluid is for the front and rear diffs and a 4 litre bottle is sufficient for both.

Make sure you undo the fill plug before opening the drain plug, otherwise you could be stuck with an empty diff and no way to fill it! It also helps with the draining.

Filling is fun as you need some way to 'pump' the oil from the bottle into the filling point.

littlescrote said:
Make sure you undo the fill plug before opening the drain plug, otherwise you could be stuck with an empty diff and no way to fill it! It also helps with the draining.

Been caught out by that on a Subaru rear diff - ended up filling it very slowly through the 4mm breather tube!

littlescrote said:
Filling is fun as you need some way to 'pump' the oil from the bottle into the filling point.

Funnel on a long bit of pipe is what I always used to use. As long as you get the funnel higher than the fill hole (ask an assistant to hold it level with with bumper for example) it'll flow out the end. These days I use a cheap 12V pump for things like this.

Thanks guys - I've started the process to return my order of CVTF that I had bought! :oops:

Hopefully, my mistake will help someone else :lol:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi folks - I managed to get round to this today and it was different to what was shown in the video I had first posted.

To clarify, I have a 2015 PHEV which I believe is the 2014 model with the facelift, and has the 2.0L petrol engine.

I have since ( :roll: ) found this video which is more accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1aInxzvhjo

The main difference between the 2 videos is really the sizes of the fill and drain plugs. For me I needed a 17mm ring spanner (there's really not a lot of room to move!) and a 10mm allen key (or drain plug key).

This video shows the front transaxle, but the rear transaxle is slightly easier (a bit more room) and the fill and drain plugs are in the same place as what is shown in the associated videos (they usually pop up on the side of the video in YouTube).

It was fairly easy and I used Mitsubishi ATF-SP3 oil.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi,

I think you were correct all along.

The ATF fluid is for the transaxles (good decision to change these as they get filthy).

The CVT-j4 is the electric motor coolant.

The European manuals don't list the CVT oil as a maintenance item, but the Aussie version supplementary service manual suggests changing this cooling CVT fluid. That being said, I don't know anyone who has done it. But I think I will do it very soon after seeing the state of the transaxle fluid.

Weird that they specify CVT oil when the PHEV doesn't have a CVT. I don't think there's anything in the electric motors that needs lubrication but reduction gears (isn't the diff separate?), so I'm not sure why it needs special oil or how "dirty" the oil would get. Does anyone know why it needs the special oil?

I can certainly see why the transaxle fluid needing to be changed as it has a couple of wet clutches in there, a bit like an old-style autobox. It's on my list of things to do as it's getting a bit jerky...

Found it! I'm at the same point where my car is 7 years old and although not classed as extreme service I'm changing gear oils anyway. After a bit of digging the Front Motor Fluid (2.2L of CVTF-J4) which is mentioned in the big manual IS also mentioned in the service schedule.... item 17, Front motor cooling oil. I guess they use oil for its low conductive properties ;)
So the manual states inspection only even up to 15 years, whereas the rear motor states replace every 20. I've got a while to think about that one.
If you do decide to change it (but I don't think it's necessary) don't forget a bit will be held in the oil cooler assy.

For the transaxle oil which I'll do next week, I bough a small syphon pump from Halfords with clear 6mm or so tubing.

Back