Front wipers won’t switch off!!!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kar3n

Help!!!!!
Hi I’m new to the group, hope everyone is well!
My problem-We purchased a phev last year (2015) and it went for its first service with us at stoneacre Mitsubishi (big one, spark plugs etc) About 2 weeks after the wipers wouldn’t switch off? Been back to Mitsubishi for diagnosing - first time said it was etac board but would need further investigation poss wiring loom? Went back, said it was wiper linkage and would need to order the part, would ring when it was In stock, I kept calling to check as I found customer service rubbish! Called Monday and the wiper MOTOR had come in? So we booked in for today. Went into workshop, it came out still the same :( so they’re saying it could be the etac board again at £900 and they’ve washed their hands of it. Told us to get an auto electrician as they’ve don’t know what to do!!!!!
Can anyone help? I really don’t know what to do if main Mitsubishi dealer can’t help
Thanks

The wiring diagram shows that the wiper circuit includes the Rain Sensor Adjustment, ACC Relay 3, Windshield Wiper Speed Switching Relay, Windshield Wiper Automatic Stop Relay, all external to the wiper motor.

As they have replaced the wiper motor, which has an internal switch the opens when the wipers have parked, I'd start by pulling the Auto Stop Relay and see if it's jammed.

Can you still control the speed of the wipers? That may eliminate that control unit.

Thanks for your reply

Cannot really control the wiper speed-sometimes they just go on the fast speed whilst on the intermittent with no rain?
Not sure if they left the new wiper motor on today either as we wasn’t charged for any parts

Yes the rain sensor is sometimes triggered by dust etc. but also I have long had a wiper speed that doesn't always match need - very fast in drizzle or nothing in heavy rain. I just put it down to the sort thing that happens with ageing electronics. Does the manual control still work?

No it doesn’t, basically when you put the wipers on it takes 2-3 minutes after trying different settings to get them to stop which is not good when you just want to wash them but they continue to go and it’s dry

That was my initial thoughts but Surely that would have come up on the diagnostic when it went in and has been done twice apparently!!! Do you mean the sensor on the windscreen? I’ve blown it out with compressed air in case some dust was inside but made no difference.

Haven’t got an auto wipe feature on dash settings, how do you do it through smart phone?

Assuming you have the same as my GX4H, it's in the Settings Menu on the MMCS. Go "Settings" - "Vehicle Settings" - "Wipers" - "Wipers Intermittent Operation". You then have 4 options "4 Seconds", "Variable", "Variable and Speed sensitive", and "Variable and Rain Sensitive". If you choose any of those other than the last, the rain sensor is disabled.

Thanks, it’s a GX5HS, we’ve been through the settings and it’s set to 4 seconds so should be ok yes?

I think the issue is more likely to be with it not cutting off the motor current when it's supposed to be parking rather than the rain sensor, as it does it on non-auto modes such as single wipe.

You should try a different garage - I don't think there's anything unusual about the Outlander's wiper system compared to most other cars. Ask locally for recommendations for local garages who are good with electrical problems, or find an auto-electrician.

What's needed is a wiring diagram (any decent garage should be able to obtain that - it's not too hard to find unofficial copies on the web). Then monitoring of the voltages on the wires going to the wiper motor, and what's happening with the park switch inside the motor gearbox that should be cutting off the power to the motor when the wipers reach the parked position. I see a few posts back the wiper relays were mentioned - do you know if these were checked? Relays are very easy to test.

I think MrPastry's first diagram should give a competent garage/auto electrician enough clues to diagnose the problem. keep us informed of progress please, Kar3n.

We’re on holiday at the minute, will source an auto electrician when we get back, don’t think the relay was tested as when we suggested it to dealer they said it was etac board and needed to be changed.

Thanks for all your help and replies, will let you know how I get on

Hi guys, thought I’d give you an update on the wiper situation.
We’ve finally got an auto electrician round to have a look at them, he’s 95% sure it’s the stop/start sensor relay so booked into local garage who has a licence to work on electric vehicles (didn’t know you needed one) next week to change the relay. Happy days hopefully!
Needless to say a long email has gone to Mitsubishi stating how unhappy we are with their service.

Thanks again guys, I think someone did mention the stop/start relay

Kar3n said:
Hi guys, thought I’d give you an update on the wiper situation.
We’ve finally got an auto electrician round to have a look at them, he’s 95% sure it’s the stop/start sensor relay so booked into local garage who has a licence to work on electric vehicles (didn’t know you needed one) next week to change the relay. Happy days hopefully!
Needless to say a long email has gone to Mitsubishi stating how unhappy we are with their service.

Thanks again guys, I think someone did mention the stop/start relay

Hello,

We have the same problem, was it the relays at fault and are they the ones located in the passenger compartment?

Found the fuses and relays but looks like a very difficult place to get to them.

Auto electrician had a look this morning but run out of time, he checked the wiper motor connectors but they didn't quite match up to the diagrams from the links.

FYI 2016 Model.

Would appreciate any help.

Hi
Sorry 😞 n the delay
If you are still having issues get the main fuse board checked out. It turned out it was tgat at fault at at cost of £1000

Back