Regulo

Re: Front wipers won’t switch off!!!!

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:01 am

Assuming you have the same as my GX4H, it's in the Settings Menu on the MMCS. Go "Settings" - "Vehicle Settings" - "Wipers" - "Wipers Intermittent Operation". You then have 4 options "4 Seconds", "Variable", "Variable and Speed sensitive", and "Variable and Rain Sensitive". If you choose any of those other than the last, the rain sensor is disabled.
Regards, Ray. 2014 GX4H Glacier blue.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

Kar3n

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:52 am

Thanks, it’s a GX5HS, we’ve been through the settings and it’s set to 4 seconds so should be ok yes?

Regulo

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 am

Yes, that should dismiss the rain sensor as a source of your trouble. But I'm afraid I can't think what else to suggest.

richr

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:05 am

I think the issue is more likely to be with it not cutting off the motor current when it's supposed to be parking rather than the rain sensor, as it does it on non-auto modes such as single wipe.

You should try a different garage - I don't think there's anything unusual about the Outlander's wiper system compared to most other cars. Ask locally for recommendations for local garages who are good with electrical problems, or find an auto-electrician.

What's needed is a wiring diagram (any decent garage should be able to obtain that - it's not too hard to find unofficial copies on the web). Then monitoring of the voltages on the wires going to the wiper motor, and what's happening with the park switch inside the motor gearbox that should be cutting off the power to the motor when the wipers reach the parked position. I see a few posts back the wiper relays were mentioned - do you know if these were checked? Relays are very easy to test.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H (petrol/electric)
2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (diesel)
(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG), 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWB (WVO))

MrPastry

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 am

Outlander Phev MY 2014/2015

WINDSHIELD WIPER AND WASHER <RHD>

Sourced from: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander_iii/online/Service_Manual_2013/2014/index_M1.htm

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums ... C00ENG.pdf
GX4h (2018) Atlantic Grey

Regulo

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 am

I think MrPastry's first diagram should give a competent garage/auto electrician enough clues to diagnose the problem. keep us informed of progress please, Kar3n.

Kar3n

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:32 am

We’re on holiday at the minute, will source an auto electrician when we get back, don’t think the relay was tested as when we suggested it to dealer they said it was etac board and needed to be changed.

Thanks for all your help and replies, will let you know how I get on

Kar3n

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:03 am

Hi guys, thought I’d give you an update on the wiper situation.
We’ve finally got an auto electrician round to have a look at them, he’s 95% sure it’s the stop/start sensor relay so booked into local garage who has a licence to work on electric vehicles (didn’t know you needed one) next week to change the relay. Happy days hopefully!
Needless to say a long email has gone to Mitsubishi stating how unhappy we are with their service.

Thanks again guys, I think someone did mention the stop/start relay

Return to “Technical Discussions”