AWC question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIKERMGA

I have a question regarding the AWC system or 4 wheel drive. If the engine is charging the battery and driving the front wheels, as shown on the status diagram, am I getting drive to the rear wheels at the same time?

If not, does it mean that 4WD is only working when driving on the battery?

The same could be said for the rear motor. I have noticed on my 2020 that according to display only rear motor is driving, albeit at a low speed with a light throttle. AWC is probably just that all wheel drive when ever the computer decides it is necessary. When you have it on charge the computer may take your input of having the charge on as overriding the use of power to rear wheels except if road conditions dictate, road incline, acceleration, wind resistance or type of road surface.
The AWC will divert more or less torque to whichever axle requires it to operate efficiently. Then the 4wd button will assist with wheel traction in mud or snow.
I think that is how it works. Not an expert, just a happy owner.

There is always power going to the rear axle when the car isn't braking. If it is in Parallel mode, the power will usually be minimal, but it will always be there. You have to be going above 40mph/65kph to be in parallel mode, and I would argue that if you're managing to do those speeds, 4WD is less important anyway.

The S-AWC system is always active, so it will kick in whatever the speed if it senses it needs to...

Back